Sarca's North American distrubutor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can`t say if backing down is less appropriate with an Excel than a Super Sarca. With the latter, I do backdown, and I test the set with judicious power application. Which is not far short of power setting. If I don`t, I don`t have the confidence a "load and hold" brings.

Yes it was a straight swap with no modifications, Bruce to Excel.......:thumb:

Sorry, am not convinced of an improvement. :blush: Back to a plow?

Can`t say if backing down is less appropriate with an Excel than a Super Sarca. With the latter, I do backdown, and I test the set with judicious power application. Which is not far short of power setting. If I don`t, I don`t have the confidence a "load and hold" brings.

Bruce, I always back down to set the anchor hard. I use to worry a lot about wind shifts. Now, not so much.

Ok, if it makes y'all feel more secure, then back down by all means. But it is basically superfluous, because if the wind or current comes up enough to move you, it digs in well then anyway, and if not, it didn't matter. Next wind or tidal current shift it's going to have to un-set and re-set if that change is strong enough anyway, and you don't get up, turn on the engine, and back down again each time that happens, do you..? Just sayin...

...Next wind or tidal current shift it's going to have to un-set and re-set if that change is strong enough anyway, and you don't get up, turn on the engine, and back down again each time that happens, do you..? Just sayin...

In the videos, I seem to remember seeing it pivot in place while staying buried...

In the videos, I seem to remember seeing it pivot in place while staying buried...

Depends on the substrate and how deeply it is buried. Either way, it re-sets pretty damn quick, unless the conditions are so light it does not even pull hard enough on the chain on the bottom to even straighten it enough to reach and pull on the anchor directly - which in a sheltered anchorage is what happens more than we think I suspect.

Ok, if it makes y'all feel more secure, then back down by all means. But it is basically superfluous, because if the wind or current comes up enough to move you, it digs in well then anyway, and if not, it didn't matter. Next wind or tidal current shift it's going to have to un-set and re-set if that change is strong enough anyway, and you don't get up, turn on the engine, and back down again each time that happens, do you..? Just sayin...

Pete, I've been fooled a few times by my anchor lying on the bottom over what we call a hard pan (very hard clay) or a thin patch of sand over coral rock. I back down to know that the anchor has penetrated the substrate. I would not be comfortable otherwise.

Sorry, am not convinced of an improvement. :blush: Back to a plow?

Mark, I can see why you think that. I had a difficult time buying into Rex's claim that the ExCel is not a plow. If you look at plow shears and plow anchors they are designed to turn the dirt or bottom aside. They are basically a continuous curve. The ExCel is totally angular. It is designed for penetration. Boy, does it grab! Try it. You'll like it. With a NA distributor every boat should have one.

I finally got my Sarca Excel put it on Kinship. I also painted my anchor chain. The yellow I picked was a bit disappointing. However, the anchor is great.

I may need to put a stainless strip on the bottom of the bow pulpit.

ForumRunner_20160708_191559.jpg

ForumRunner_20160708_191613.jpg

ForumRunner_20160708_191625.jpg

With a NA distributor every boat should have one.

Good advertising Don. But too late for me, I purchased an equally good and more cost effective Vulcan 6 months ago. Now I've just paired it up with a very stout Suncor swivel. :hide:

FWIW, I was able to use my new Sarca Ex-cel for the first time today. Not any kind of test of its holding abilities at all given the mild conditions and perfect bottom, but it brought us up short at less than 3-1 scope. We just needed a short stay.

One thing that worked much better than I thought was the painted chain. I had used flourescent Yellow Rustoleum paint and it wasn't all that impressive at the dock, but on the water when letting out or bringing in the anchor is was fantastic.

Dave,

What size did you go with?

E

Dave,

What size did you go with?

E

#6. It is 30kg. I was a little concerned about how well it would fit considering that it replaced a 45lbs CQR copy, but it fits great.

Dave,
What are you talking about ... The yellow paint on chain being "fantastic".

PeterB wrote;

"Ok, if it makes y'all feel more secure, then back down by all means"

I'm supprised at you. If Rex heard you say that he'd give you some anchoring 101 lessons. But that's the way I did it in the 70's. Thought all the yachtie talk about setting anchors was stupid.
But it's mostly a test of the bottom IMO. Then you'll probably have confidence that the anchor will probably reset when the tide or wind changes. But there's two "probably" words in that sentence. May as well minimize the risks. Now you probably wanna know where my chain is .. haha. I know what Rex says about that too.

Dave,
What are you talking about ... The yellow paint on chain being "fantastic".

Just that it was highly visible when bringing in the anchor. My concern was that while we were painting it on the dock the yellow didn't seem to be that bright, but was very visible from the PH when raising and lowering the anchor.

Dave,
Oh I see ... from the pilot house.
My nylon line is quite visible but I always anchor out on the bow and can see the rode fine. Well not so fine when it goes vertical or under the boat. Looking for it then is when I would like bow rails. Did I say "like bow rails"?

Has SNAD got an updated web site w prices yet?

Dave,
Oh I see ... from the pilot house.
My nylon line is quite visible but I always anchor out on the bow and can see the rode fine. Well not so fine when it goes vertical or under the boat. Looking for it then is when I would like bow rails. Did I say "like bow rails"?

Has SNAD got an updated web site w prices yet?

I have always anchored from the bow as well, but I happened to have my son along so he was able to snub the chain before setting the anchor. I like to be at the bow so I can have the chain snubbed before the anchor is set. I am just a bit paranoid about wear and tear on the windlass. I don't think the PO was, and the pawl on the windlass shows a fair bit of wear.

Anyway, the paint used for chain length marking was easy for me to see from the PH. Much easier than the small ties that were on the chain beforehand.

Yes, bow rails are very nice!

I just got a new SS chain hook to use for snubbing the anchor when setting as well as holding the anchor in place while under way. Should make it quicker and easier than tying a hitch on the chain to snub as I have been doing.

A friend of mine uses a Delta anchor. He anchored in a little cove and it was small so he didn't back down. Next morning (calm all night) at low tide, he could see his anchor clearly in the mud, upside down with the point up! It was only because the mud was sticky and it was very calm that he didn't drag. If you have a Delta, take a look at the top of the shank. There will be scratches on it as they frequently land on the bottom upside down and they are not brilliant at self-righting.

Xsbank,
They may be a good candidate for my "Hogback" mod.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom