Chart inaccuracy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
koliver; said:
The tide at the time was not low, this was only a short time after high tide, and when I went out later I could see the part of the reef that sailor had been on, now 4 ft out of the water.
Should have picked up on this earlier and asked; when you saw it dry was there still water between it and the Gabriola shore?

Hawg:

Your Marine Atlas shot in post #21 shows the reef almost the way it is. at relatively high water the reef still sticks out of the water well out from the charted green area, with some water between it and the shore.

Your Marine Atlas shot in post #21 shows the reef almost the way it is. at relatively high water the reef still sticks out of the water well out from the charted green area, with some water between it and the shore.
Crazy, but not entirely unexpected, I guess. Interesting an amateur not for navigation chart seemingly depicts better.

Just shows to go ya, take nothing for granted and use all the tools.

Wolferstan's 40 year old Volume 1 Gulf Islands shows the area between Rogers and Drumbeg strewn with rocks.

Everything I look at tells me that sailor ought not to have been in there and in all likelihood cut 'er pretty fine on the Gabriola side.

You ever see him again, thank him for all of us.

Now;
"We each took a halyard from his masthead and quickly had him heeled to 45 deg and he was able to power off safely."

I've only done that once, to get a small sailboat out of the mud at Port Moody. Got the people all sitting on the low side, pulled it over and it popped out like a bar of soap.

Always wondered how much the mast could take in those situations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom