Reminder: Everything posted here is public record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Probably not, but maybe. Like in a car forum where someone brags about doing 120mph"

If this were true, the car mag writers would all be in jail? Even our President is a freely admitted inhaler.

Not quite my point. Imagine that the boaster is involved in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Keith

giphy.gif

Well I guess I'm just totally lost I don't the whole damn thread.......WTF:banghead:

Problem is, people are handed their butts every day based on little, sketchy, erroneous or zero facts.

Then there is the hypocrite in us all, when we go off on someone for doing the same thing we do. But somehow it's different when we do it, isn't it?

How about THAT, Mr. Fung!

You picked a great handle ;)

Facts are commonly in dispute. Here is one, global warming is caused by man. Or OJ is a murderer. Or England is better off alone. Or brand X is a good boat. Or self driving cars are safe. Rocna, Sarca, Ultra, Fortress etc anchors are the best - really! Sonny Liston is unbeatable or Russian hockey is better than a scruffy bunch of Americans.

Point being, new findings and new facts propel progress. Where do you think the terms after the fact or conflicting witnesses came from?

Not to pick nits, but the statements you listed are opinions, not facts. Water boils at 100ºC is a fact; "I think that water is hot" is an opinion (correct or not). "Earth has warmed within the past 10,000 years is a fact (we are not currently in an ice age). "Global warming IS caused by man is a (weakly supported) opinion.

Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean "they" aren't watching you :eek:

Water boils at 100ºC is a fact; .

No, water boils at a variety of temperatures. It has to do with vapor pressure or over pressure. Think elevation, pressure cookers, autoclaves, vacuum vessels etc.

No, water boils at a variety of temperatures. It has to do with vapor pressure or over pressure. Think elevation, pressure cookers, autoclaves, vacuum vessels etc.

Excellent point: Request permission to revise and extend my comment.

At sea level on a standard day, water boils at 100ºc:socool:

Wish it was true.

I guess I will have to use a PO Box and Swiss account to sell Mohamid Bobble Heads .

Excellent point: Request permission to revise and extend my comment.

At sea level on a standard day, water boils at 100ºc:socool:

See...the point was made....on both sides. :D

One huge problem is when people post opinions "LIKE" they are facts....you point that out and they dig in and are almost comical in their defense instead of stopping for a moment and looking at all the posts from a different point of view.

A great example is when us U.S. types (happy 4th to us all) emphatically post a law or action required by law that is U.S. only. Without quickly realizing there are others in the discussion who don't even know what we are talking about by being from other countries or experienced cruisers who know better than to make it a sweeping generalization.

Usually if you make one of those sweeping generalizations....you will be called on it pretty quickly. :popcorn:

See...the point was made....on both sides. :D

One huge problem is when people post opinions "LIKE" they are facts....you point that out and they dig in and are almost comical in their defense instead of stopping for a moment and looking at all the posts from a different point of view.

A great example is when us U.S. types (happy 4th to us all) emphatically post a law or action required by law that is U.S. only. Without quickly realizing there are others in the discussion who don't even know what we are talking about by being from other countries or experienced cruisers who know better than to make it a sweeping generalization.

Usually if you make one of those sweeping generalizations....you will be called on it pretty quickly. :popcorn:

Happy 4th O' July to every American and to every person in the world who America has ever helped!

One huge problem is when people post opinions "LIKE" they are facts...

Is that a fact, or just your opinion, because it kind of sounded like you were stating it as a fact? Either way, I don't see any problem. You should (in my humble opinion) consider yourself lucky if that is as "huge" as your problems get.

Is that a fact, or just your opinion, because it kind of sounded like you were stating it as a fact? Either way, I don't see any problem. You should (in my humble opinion) consider yourself lucky if that is as "huge" as your problems get.

OK...you got me...:D.....So I'm only half a huge issue....:socool:

Certainly the BB's OP is true enough. There is case law enough on libel and harassment that can be searched by all of us armchair lawyers. Libel laws pertain to the Internet as well as other written documents. The reality is it rarely come to anything at all at least in Canada, unless you have sufficiently deep pockets to hire a legal team to do otherwise. For example...

http://globalnews.ca/news/674540/online-defamation-cases-often-unrealistic-for-canadians-expert/

I suspect the issues on trawler forum pale in comparison to this recent event in the news...

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...n-says-his-revenge-website-destroyed-her.html

Sad but true!

I have met several folks from trawler forum around the waterfront and anchorages. Maintaining some semblance of decorum on the Internet is useful if one hopes to have a chit chat face to face sometime down the inlet!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom