View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #36
tpbrady
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I think it is a manner of terminology. Garmin tends to use route and track interchangeably. It seems that when tracks are turned on, it saves it as a group of way points which it will convert to a route when saved. In the EVO autopilot the command to follow a route is labelled track. Hence the confusion it can generate. My complaint with the marine electronics vendors is they do things they probably shouldn't do like send NMEA2000s PGNs when they shouldn't and don't give me a way to turn them off.

I have not seen an MFD from any vendor that works as well as Coastal Explorer from a charting perspective. I have a $600 computer with a 16 inch screen, running a $399 navigation program (which I bought 10 years ago), a $199 USB NEMA2000 gateway, with current NOAA charts, with 3 GPS inputs, two depth inputs, and it does everything a computer will do when we are done for the day. Compare that to a $650 Raymarine with a 6 inch screen and the same NOAA charts and a $2000 dollar Garmin with a 12 inch screen and out of date charts that is used primarily as a sounder and radar display. I can layout a route between Wrangell and Ketchikan in a couple of minutes. No way I could do that on any ones MFD.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote