Oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ed

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Makin Do
Vessel Make
PT38 Sedan #60
This is an oops to be sure but in this case the owner chose to ignore the boat and continue paying moorage for 10+ years.* Suspected cause of water in the people tank, a decade of neglect including failure to change the zincs.

The really bad part, the marina told her (owner) that the boat was sinking a year ago but she didn't believe them.* It was so bad that the marina had placed a pump on board and assigned an employee to pump it out every morning.

The marina manager said the boat was beautiful when it came into the marina 20 years ago.* Now the owner has to pay a salvage bill instead of selling it several years ago when she could have gotten a decent price for it.

Attachments

• sailboat salvage.jpg
    sailboat salvage.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 73
Ed wrote:Suspected cause of water in the people tank
Eh?* Never heard of that problem before. I don't know if I have a people tank, but if I do, what does one do to prevent this? Baffled.

I either keep my people tank empty with no one in it or I, at most, only allow midgets in it if I am going to be away for an extended period of time....
cowboy.gif

Either way- hate to see a boat go down!

Binunda meaning binunda the water!

People tank: Submariner term for any space normally occupied by humans.

Reminds me of the visit I and a number of friends paid to a friend's new boat, to see what kind of fixer-upper it was. Found the boat moored at the end of a long row of shelters, completely hidden from view until you were right there and with another slip just ahead, but around a corner, so out of view again. This was a 60 footer, so it took a lot of effort, but with adequate time and motivation, we "friends" moved the boat around the corner by hand, and left some lines hanging in the water to suggest it had gone to the bottom.
The joke was only good for a minute, but we all enjoyed it. No hard cleanup, no adverse consequences on the boat.

For those interested in the boat here are some photos after she was refloated.*

Attachments

• silkie.jpg
    silkie.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 67
  • silkie2.jpg
    silkie2.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 71
  • silkie5.jpg
    silkie5.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 66
Here in Florida where we have a large number of absentee owners, that during the rainy season we see alot of vessels go down due to birds dropping their dinner remains on the decks. Then the remains end up in the cockpit where they block the scuppers. Then the rains come and fill the cockpits up to the point where the water gets into the* 'people tank'.

Woodsong wrote:

I either keep my people tank empty with no one in it or I, at most, only allow midgets in it if I am going to be away for an extended period of time....
cowboy.gif

I think the correct term is " LITTLE PEOPLE "......

that being said .... they sure do make a high pitched squeal when you try to stuff them into the tank!

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 wrote:

Woodsong wrote:

cowboy.gif

I think the correct term is " LITTLE PEOPLE "......

that being said .... they sure do make a high pitched squeal when you try to stuff them into the tank!

HOLLYWOOD

YES they do!

omfg.gif

"Then the remains end up in the cockpit where they block the scuppers. Then the rains come and fill the cockpits up to the point where the water gets into the 'people tank'."

A superb example of poor design!

As a former submariner (USS Pogy, USS Stonewall Jackson), I have not heard "people tank" in few years. I remember the first time I heard about flooding the people tank in sub school damage control trainer, I figured out what it meant when I was up to my chin in freezing cold water.

jcwyatt wrote:
As a former submariner (USS Pogy,
Jason:
My son in law, Lt. Todd Owens, also served on the Pogy. His dad, Admiral Bill
Owens was also a submariner and vice chaiman of the Joint Chiefs. I toured the boat
in San Diego a few years back and concluded "that I don't know how the hell you guys
could do that for months at a time."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom