Not your average marina contract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure it is, the owner has two more yachts and a small air force to ferry him around. The Eurocopter aboard that yacht is one of two that take him to the 737.

What income disparity:angel:

What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

I would think twins...blond, identical and around 27 years old. Preferably female and human unless, of course as in some parts of the world, being a shortage of sets of 72, then goats will just have to do.:rofl: as for the anchor,,.. .?? Just do not know.

Right. Attessa IV is 332'. Your calculator must be broken.

I meant in general terms and not you specifically. Say your own boat is a 14 foot sailing dinghy. A 21 sailboat won't feel like a boat (at least it didn't for me when we did that). I have a 43' boat right now (45' LOA). To me, a 65' boat doesn't feel like a boat (at least the one I was one). However, I have been on 50+ foot boats that still feels like a boat.

I meant in general terms and not you specifically. Say your own boat is a 14 foot sailing dinghy. A 21 sailboat won't feel like a boat (at least it didn't for me when we did that). I have a 43' boat right now (45' LOA). To me, a 65' boat doesn't feel like a boat (at least the one I was one). However, I have been on 50+ foot boats that still feels like a boat.

Ok, just being sure their is no illusion we have a 221' boat. Actually quite glad boats in that size range don't appeal to us.

I can quite imagine some on the lake with 25' runabouts wouldn't think your boat felt boat like. Oh, if they only knew.

Good segue for this thread, at this point [should be interesting]:

Gals and guys - Please define what you believe is the "FEEL of a boat"?

Wifey B: The water going by, the wind in your face, feeling it respond when you're at the helm, navigating, just enjoying the experience. Feeling the movement. If the boat's moving and I don't sense it, I feel like I've lost something. I mean sense it even when I'm inside and not seeing it. That feel. If I feel like I'm on land, then I'm not feeling the boat. When you have to think a little of the best speed for the waves and best way to hit them. I wouldn't want the ocean to be glassy smooth all the time. I like being able to play with the throttles too, feel different speeds. Now this might sound silly too, but checking the conditions, recognizing the difference in different sea conditions, knowing 6' will be different than 4' and that 10' won't be enjoyable unless a very very very long period. Feeling how different waves affect you. Not being oblivious to them.

My one time on a boat I didn't feel it some of the time. 113' Burger. Steel hull, full displacement, expedition boat. Cruise 12 knots. Sometimes I just thought to myself in very calm water, "are we moving?" Probably that says a lot positive about the boat. The quality of the boat, the interior, wood work, counters, galley, were all A+. That's sort of how I don't think I'd enjoy a 200' boat as it would have that feel probably.

I believe part of us too is that where many of you came from sailboats we came from 55 knots on the lake, so 20 knots has been an adjustment. I'm ok with some 12 knots, especially at night. But then I want to open it up to more. Please understand I'm not putting down any of your boats or your enjoyment of going slower. I admire the boats and you guys. Just for me today, at this point in my life, it's not for me. On the other hand, I think you get a lot more the feel of boating at 7 knots in a 40' boat than you do at 12 knots in a 113' foot boat. It's the proportion. I think most of the boats on here would feel like boating to me, just some would leave me wanting faster boating. I can't imagine a 300' boat feeling like boating at any speed.

When it's not moving, just looking out around you, seeing so much beauty, appreciating nature, and feeling so thankful. On the bridge under the moon and stars, I know I'm on a boat. And the breeze and even waves rocking you a little. Perfect stillness is nice sometimes but wouldn't want it all the time.

Oh and another not like a boat-when it takes more time docking and undocking, all the lines and cables, everything just right, than you spend boating.

I still haven't figured that out with my power boat. For me the feel of a boat is the pressure on the rudder transfered to the helm. I miss that with the hydraulic steering.

Interesting reading.
From a psychological standpoint its interesting to read the comments.
Some just have a love for boats, its the common connection of water.
Others don't want to own a 300 foot yacht but find it interesting to see....thats me to.
Some are jealous so slam it.
Others are just enjoying a nice conversation.
Some hate helicopters, and thats their choice.
Me I love boats....12 feet or 412 feet....i like boats.
5 knots or 50 knots an hour I love boats.
I'm sure happy with my tiny 33 footer.
Have had bigger and smaller.
Would love about a 120 footer with a helipad, and high speed tender for water skiing and running out to fish.
Am i buying 120 feet of yacht? No i am not.....but I get why people have them. I'm sure its still an enjoyable boat...to me boats float and can be steered.
I bet if some of you had a heli on board to go explore when in new spots, or fly out and back, or deliver family and friends you would like it.
I get why people go places in helicopters.
If your ever around Oak bay Victoria you will see some helicopters going to yachts....but not too many.
But go to Coal harbor by Vancouver and its just a common occurance.
So much air traffic in coal harbor they have their own tower on top of a sky scraper to direct it all.. ...its fascinating and very well organized considering the huge amount of float planes and helicopters as well as boats.
For those knocking it....ever think that possibly you are knocking the idea is because you haven't tried it?

Be really really honest with yourself and maybe its a bit of jealousy because you can't just fly to a ski village and back to your yacht at will.
Or boat up to an area, drop anchor and fire up the helo and go sight seeing.
Because it seems a very odd thing to be hating on......
Hate wars, hate drunk drivers, hate people who steal cars, but hating a helicopter going to a boat seems a strange thing to get upset over.

If any of you possibly believe in God....he is the one who can judge us.
And God even says its a sin to be jealous.
Seems some do both on here....they judge and are jealous.....its the minority of the people but some do.
I got judged even as a bad father.
I asked my daughter about the day in question.
She barely remembered it but thanked me for caring enough to push her a little.
She is now 22 and people who meet her think she turned out damn fine.
So judge me all you like.
I'm sure as hell not scared to answer to God the day I die for how I raised her.
I'm very far from perfect, but sure not horrible either.
I'm also genuinely happy for those who are successful and can afford a big yacht and helicopters etc.
To be jealous of others or judge others is a reflection not so much on them. ....as it is of the person who is jealous or judgemental.
I'm regretful occasionally for things i wish i had done and didn't.
But no regrets on things that i have done.

And as to the comment on how a helicopter is so dangerous to use to fly to a yacht.....i would personally be a lot more worried about a car ride than the helicopter ride.....

Last edited:
And as to the comment on how a helicopter is so dangerous to use to fly to a yacht.....i would personally be a lot more worried about a car ride than the helicopter ride.....

It may not be logical at all, and perhaps lack of experience, but helicopters, especially small ones like those, scare me, and even more so landing and taking off on a very small place on a boat. I fully understand they're use and see why for some they are absolutely great to have. If I had the need then I'm sure I'd learn enough to get over the anxiety they give me today.

I'm sure it's no different than the fear non-boaters have of boating. I've only been on a helicopter twice in my life and once was in NY landing at the Manhattan Heliport and the other was landing on top of an office building. Both times I took off from small airports and that part wasn't scary at all. I think the rattle and noise just makes them feel less safe.

I've also seen one have to approach a boat multiple times before finally setting down and that didn't add to my confidence.

I once saw one used to dry a tennis court and with the small area it had to work in, I wasn't all that comfortable watching.

Reality is we're all more fearful of the unknown and that we lack experience with.

If any of you possibly believe in God....

I believe that people have an established belief system, and they want to hear about mine about as much as I want to hear about theirs. I try not to hijack threads with such discussions.

The topic is helicoptors.

Shipboard landings are only as safe as the pilot, the environmental conditions, the helo maintenance, the course and speed of the ship, area traffic and it's control or lack of...maybe a few more but those are usually the biggies.

Can it be safer than driving...sure ...some of the same issues affect both modes of transport.

Some guys I flew with were fearless...usually they had the worst safety record or at least the most close calls.

Not me...usually had at least one or two hairs on my neck standing every shipboard landing. I was happy to hear from crewmen that they liked flying with me...they trusted me to get them home every flight.

Even the Russians liked me during the cold war....:D...MEDEVACed this ship's doctor with double compound fracture of his arm to ADAK, Alaska from somewhere in the Bering Sea in a winter gale. Took time out from babysittng the crab boats in the Deadliest Catch...:eek:

Attachments

• SCAN0032.jpg
    SCAN0032.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 87
  • SCAN0032 (2).jpg
    SCAN0032 (2).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
https://youtu.be/bbjh9wV7GOs

Video of small helicopter at the start of this year's Race 2 Alaska. Pretty scary stuff

Unless sanctioned as part of the event or was some sort of enforcement helo....pretty borderline irresponsible and surprised if a complaint didn't get the FAA questioning the pilot.

As a USCG helo pilot...we got away with a lot...but if over the water...usually was justified unless totally irresponsible. Still spurred plenty of complaints and mini-investigations.

https://youtu.be/bbjh9wV7GOs

Video of small helicopter at the start of this year's Race 2 Alaska. Pretty scary stuff

That clip was in the news recently. The pilot was cited for operating so low. His excuse was that he had a news crew onboard and they asked him to fly lower so they could 'get a better shot'.

That clip was in the news recently. The pilot was cited for operating so low. His excuse was that he had a news crew onboard and they asked him to fly lower so they could 'get a better shot'.

Good...as often as news crews crowd actual rescues without helping (bless those that do help)....they should pay the fine too!

More info.....

wow...really unprofessional....

Low-flying helicopter at Race to Alaska's start under investigation — VIDEO -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

PORT TOWNSEND — Police are considering filing reckless endangerment charges against the pilot of a helicopter that dipped low over boaters at the beginning of Thursday's Race to Alaska.

“It appears that the helicopter violated height restrictions, “ said Detective Luke Bogues of the Port Townsend Police Department.

He said the helicopter's blades were below the masts of the ship on several occasions.

“It came so close to the water that a couple of paddleboarders were blown off course,” Bogues said.

Police Officer Bill Corrigan said the pilot was a 44-year-old man from Federal Way.

Police did not identify the man, who was not charged Thursday.

The pilot told police he was hired by a television news crew to film the proceedings.

He said the news crew was encouraging him to fly lower, and he expressed remorse for his decision, according to police.

Bogues said the police investigation included determining the news crew's identity.

The blue helicopter with no markings began circling the harbor at about 5:45 a.m., first staying well away from the boats and then dropping down to just above the water while several hundred observers watched the start of the race.

Emergency dispatchers at JeffCom 911 received several calls at about 6 a.m., Bogues said.

According to these calls, the helicopter was described as having flown some 8 to 15 feet above the water.

Several witnesses submitted their photographs and videos of the incident to police, Bogues said.

Corrigan reported the incident to the Federal Aviation Administration's Flight Standards District Office in Seattle.

The FAA may launch its own investigation into whether the pilot violated flight rules, Bogues said.

What struck me was the absence of any tail numbers that I could see. I haven't been around flying for years, but aren't they required?

Thought I could see something on the tail boom but low resolution made it difficult.

Black lettering on what looked to be darker grey and low light didnt help.

Then again....maybe flying at those altitudes he decided to rake them off for the day...:D

Good luck.

That is a very unpleasant marina for a small boat. It is a closed rectangle, or almost square with only one open side.

Ferries racing by continuously make for a very confused sea with 4 to 6 foot wakes that then reflect off the walls.

This is the only Marina I've ever seen that offers 200amp service. I wonder how thick the shore power cord for that is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom