Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, Matt, that Sarca anchor roller looks great. For heaven's sake make sure it is well fixed on before she splashes. When I bought my roller, I couldn't resist having a wee try on while down at the berth, and...you guessed it...it slipped and fell...initially down onto the dock, because I had hauled the boat well forward, but I neglected to tie it to something...it bounced twice, and hit the drink..! The water under my boat in the berth is 7m deep..!
Thank God a slip neighbour at the time, called Marty, was a live aboard at the time, and had diving gear. It cost me 2 cartons of beer though to get the roller back. Not good for the heart either.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Matt,
I kinda like your foredeck design. Nice lines and good function .. I think.

Have you tried the anchor on the bow roller and platform? Looks to me like you could make it shorter and save some moorage. What anchor do you have or what anchor is planned for a spare. Would be handy if it fit too.

Eric, in Oz, we tend to not be charged for mooring on the length of the boat, but the length of the berth it requires, (or can be got away with). So 6 inches extra of the bowsprit is not really relevant as a rule.

Matt,
I kinda like your foredeck design. Nice lines and good function .. I think.

Have you tried the anchor on the bow roller and platform? Looks to me like you could make it shorter and save some moorage. What anchor do you have or what anchor is planned for a spare. Would be handy if it fit too.

I own a swing mooring already and can moor my boat so as long as it isn't longer than 11mtrs.

I have a SARCA EXCEL and won't be running two anchors mate. I might have a spare in the engine room or a spare fold up anchor in the cabin but won't have two on the bow.

Today I applied the first coat of sanding filler on the flare. I'll need to fibreglass the portholes in next before I smooth the area out too much. I then jumped upstairs and began smoothing out the fillets around the hatch pads and the external radiuses of the cabin. The whole surface won't get as much love as the rest so far due to nonslip surface coatings that will be applied.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283449.893632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283462.893754.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283474.353158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283531.386287.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283545.254971.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283574.378559.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283603.919309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283615.272267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283629.922811.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467283641.709076.jpg

I just have to keep saying WOW!!!

Keep it up Matt. That lipstick is working.:D

Sure Matt,
If you're going to keep up your long established habbit of sanding sanding sanding you need to continiously add more stuff to keep up the good work. HaHa

So now if you were to paint the topsides it would'nt look like two different pieces. Would look like the topsides were made of one piece instead of two. I can hardly wait. You may be a traditional guy like BandB, PeterB or me and paint the sides white. Or you could be like some of the out of the box types and go for orange or purple.

So now if you were to paint the topsides it would'nt look like two different pieces. Would look like the topsides were made of one piece instead of two. I can hardly wait. You may be a traditional guy like BandB, PeterB or me and paint the sides white. Or you could be like some of the out of the box types and go for orange or purple.

I don't think so, Eric. Stay tuned to see why Matt is working so hard to remove any imperfections before painting. ;)

Sure Matt,
If you're going to keep up your long established habbit of sanding sanding sanding you need to continiously add more stuff to keep up the good work. HaHa

Traditional... Me? ... Nah mate I'm coming from left field

This afternoon I epoxy glued in two of the 5 portholes and skim coated a section of the roof overhang and a little bit of sanding and filling.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369725.966922.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369735.450084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369746.017798.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369756.500218.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369767.320418.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369778.722439.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369790.323634.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369805.176673.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369817.977667.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369829.837376.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467369844.781405.jpg

Lol thanks buddy. Wait until i apply the eyeliner and blush

Now I know why you bought that fancy sewing machine. What color bikini

is SOLSTICE gonna wear? You gonna let her go topless off shore - :D

The reason black hulls get shot more often is it's less easy to notice the hole or repair!

:speed boat:Matt me Matie!

Couple things about black... although it is in many instances a strikingly beautiful color:

- Solar rays love to heat up black. Sunny days in general, i.e. reflections off the water for the hull; flat out straight on rays for top sides. Boat's insides can get really HOT!
- Black cars are difficult to keep looking really clean - boats too. Black easily displays white salt streaks.
- When black goes dull for any reason in any portion that shows noticeably when sun reflects onto it.
- I imagine that black color is a hard color to spot by search planes... if ever necessary.
- Depending on the background... Black often makes things look smaller that lighter colors because it absorbs light.

IMHO - Although black is one of the most strikingly beautiful colors for a boat hull or sides of its superstructure that color's heat absorption on sunny days is just too much. For decks it's a flaming no, no.

Think carefully on color choices for SOLSTICE. Flic should be good counsel on that... you guys final boat appearance is one of the items that will make her very happy to have been part of the choice.

Happy Color Choice Daze! - Art :speed boat:

PS: Don likes everything that's hot! - LOL

Last edited:
Following Moonstruck's color of choice may be a mistake. While Don seems to get away with pink, methinks the blokes in Perth may see it as an opportunity to take the p*ss.

Art, if I wanted to be practical, I wouldn't own 3 boats.:D

A friend told me last night if he wanted to be practical he'd sell the motor in his houseboat. Last time it started was 3 years ago when he hauled out, aside from that they never leave the mooring ball on the lake. 20 years of ownership and 26 weekends of use each year and the motor has 3 hours on it. On his third generator though.

One possible option Matt is vinyl wrap for boats. I've seen a few 'go fasts' that have been wrapped and they look amazing! Don't like the colour a few yrs from now easy 'nuff to change it.

http://vinylboatwrap.co.nz/vinyl-boat-wrap-faqs/

Might be worth looking into if you can find an installer in your area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom