• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Other: offer - but no answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of those boats I have never seen but it seems to be a pretty good lineup you have there.

You have my email so if there is something on Vancouver Island that catches your eye, I'd be happy to go thump the hull for you.

Last edited:
Ted; said:
If this is a certain "trawler broker" in La Conner, get hard nosed.
Hey Ted. It's not the one in La Conner, nor the one in Anacortes I shook my head and finger at. So now we have three.

BTW, talked to Joel in Coal Harbour, thanks for that.

Last edited:

You mention fuel economy and I believe you also mentioned $100K as a preferred top price target... makes me believe you are somewhat cautious regarding boat expenses. This makes me want to warn you (but, perhaps you already know) that cost of fuel is usually a small annual expense percentage compared to overall cost of owning a boat. Especially for those who will only put 100 to 200 hours cruising per year on their boat.

So... I just want you to also figure into your costs - the size of boat; no matter its original price. Noticed your boats listed were around 50 + feet. Dockage, maintenances, insurance, and hauling costs (among other things) can become steep in that size range and above. IMO and learned experience 40' or just above (or even a bit below) can usually offer a person the "best bang" for their boat-buck.

BTW: A "Boat-Buck" = $1000. When you own a boat there are always boat-bucks that need to be spent... for one reason or another. Larger the boat more boat-bucks get consumed... just to keep it moored and in similar condition as when purchased.

Happy Boat Search Daze! - Art :speed boat:

you mention fuel economy and i believe you also mentioned $100k as a preferred top price target... Makes me believe you are somewhat cautious regarding boat expenses. This makes me want to warn you (but, perhaps you already know) that cost of fuel is usually a small annual expense percentage compared to overall cost of owning a boat. Especially for those who will only put 100 to 200 hours cruising per year on their boat.

So... I just want you to also figure into your costs - the size of boat; no matter its original price. Noticed your boats listed were around 50 + feet. Dockage, maintenances, insurance, and hauling costs (among other things) can become steep in that size range and above. Imo and learned experience 40' or just above (or even a bit below) can usually offer a person the "best bang" for their boat-buck.

Btw: A "boat-buck" = $1000. When you own a boat there are always boat-bucks that need to be spent... For one reason or another. Larger the boat more boat-bucks get consumed... Just to keep it moored and in similar condition as when purchased.

Happy boat search daze! - art :speed boat:

^^^ can i get an amen!!!!!

Art.

I hear you and this is why I am here. Dreams are just dreams. Luck is what I am hoping for, but budgeting requires serious education. I secretly hope that I will find something in reasonable good shape. Doing work myself does not scare me and labor is the biggest part of all repairs. Heck, I am even willing to sign up for courses to be qualified to do serious engine maintenance. Do people do this? Or, I am just being naive?

Art.

I have driven distances already and I looked at 36, 41, 47, etc. It just seems that I do not want to be a live-aboard on a 36 footer. It was a nice boat, decent price, but I am still ' land ' minded to be squeezed too much. On the other hand, several years from now, I do want to go on a long cruise, when my working days are over and time is not an issue. Although, I do not need more than one stateroom, it would be nice to be able to move around and cook my meal easily. Do I see this incorrectly? Please, share your experience.

I have driven distances already and I looked at 36, 41, 47, etc. It just seems that I do not want to be a live-aboard on a 36 footer. It was a nice boat, decent price, but I am still ' land ' minded to be squeezed too much. On the other hand, several years from now, I do want to go on a long cruise, when my working days are over and time is not an issue. Although, I do not need more than one stateroom, it would be nice to be able to move around and cook my meal easily. Do I see this incorrectly? Please, share your experience.

Any boat will be small by land standards (well, any boat you or I could ever hope to afford). Just going bigger, isn't necessarily going to make it feel "roomy". As you have done, continue to concentrate on features, ie 1 head or 2, one cabin or two, can the second cabin be a bunk arrangement, covered aft cockpit or not, fly bridge or not, single or twin, cruise speed, etc.... Once you find boats that meet the features list, then you can go on board and look around.

One thing that is nice to do if you can, is sit down in the salon with several folks and discuss the boat. Take friends to look with you so you have 3-4 bodies in it all together. If it feels cramped, it likely will be long term. If it feels comfortable, then it may be large enough for you long term.

Also, climb on and climb off the berth that you will be sleeping on. That can give you a good idea as well as walk into the shower.

Art.

I don't think you see it incorrectly at all. You see it knowing yourself better than any of us do. If you're thinking of living aboard, space is important. Now some boats are laid out better than others and have far more usable space in the same length.

If you enjoy cooking, the galley becomes very important, as well as any grilling space. On the other hand, I know one boat owner who cruises but has never prepared a meal on board and the less galley the better. You will find the right boat, just don't force a fit on yourself. You'll feel it the moment you board it. I've found some easily and others I've just been difficult to please as it seemed what I wanted didn't exist.

The check was made out to the brokerage and the money went to a deposit only trust account for the brokerage.

That is NOT a legal escrow account unless under an attorney's bar #

Who's bonded to establish compliant escrow [separate for each deal and no commingling?]

Last edited:
Art.

I feel you need to make full list of what you feel are your boating needs... from the greatest to the least important. Then post that list here numbered 1 through however many you come up with. That will give you better understanding of what type to seek. By posting here it will enable good suggestions as well as be a teaching endeavor for you!

Art :D :popcorn:

Another thing to think about- a 50'+ boat will be harder to solo.

The most common mistake is skipping the requirements list and trying to jump directly to the boats. How can you find the right boat when you don't know the target. Making a requirements list as Art said will make it far easier to know if a boat might fit your need or not.

BandB
I take your advice. Has anyone posted a list like this here for a liveaboard/LRC ? I would like learn from it.

BandB
I take your advice. Has anyone posted a list like this here for a liveaboard/LRC ? I would like learn from it.

I don't know but let me toss some of the things you might want to think about in developing one.

-Where do I intend to cruise 95% of the time. Where might I go 5%
-How many people aboard 95% of the time. How many 5%.
-What size crew. Single handing or normally two or more.
-How long do you see yourself on the boat at a time. How much of the year.
-Do you want a flybridge. You can find pros and cons discussed here.
-Do you prefer a separate Pilothouse or the helm an extension of the living area.
-What do you need in a galley. How much will you cook. What is the nature of your cooking. Do you need it up or down or care.
-What climate will you be in. This impacts the need for indoor vs. outdoor living space and for air conditioning and heat.
-Will you generally be at marinas or anchoring. This impacts electric requirements, water and other.
-What are the issues regarding sleeping quarters to you. Some don't want to sleep nightly in a v-berth in the bow, others don't care. Tied to number of people is number of staterooms and number of heads.
-On heads how do you feel about wet heads vs. separate shower stalls.
-How important is space in the engine room to you
-What kind of speeds do you want. What kind of economy do you require.
-What kind of head space. How tall are you.
-Means of moving between bridge and main deck and of moving to and from the engine room
-What kind of dinghy or tender, how will you use it. How do you prefer it handled.
-Twin engines or single or are you open to both. People will argue pros and cons but that is only relevant if you're open to both. I know all the pros can cons and still am not open to both. If single, do you require a get home engine.
-Stabilization. It's importance varies based on usage.
-Thrusters.
-Size of boat is really a factor of other things listed but it's very important in terms of what you can handle, what you'll be comfortable for, what you can afford both new and owning as a lot of expenses are tied to size.
-Maintenance requirements. Do you like dealing with teak or not.
-Will maintenance by DIY or paid.
-Again determined by type of cruising, but range needed, fuel capacity.
-Visual appeal. Not to others, not what others like, what you like. Most of us don't want to own a boat we think is ugly. Most of us can accept perhaps plain or simple but not something we just don't like.
-Generators, inverters, solar all determined by your type of use and climate.
-How willing and capable are you to do a lot of work upfront. Some people spend a couple of years before they ever use their boat but love that aspect of it.
-People who you would like cruising with you whether family or friends. How appealing is cruising on it to them. If you want someone to join you then best involve them all the way and sure don't get something they won't want to spend time on.

I'm sure I've overlooked many things, but this might help you start.

Another consideration is I think it is best to buy the boat that you will use now vs the boat that you hope to use in 5 years. Does that make sense?

I don't know but let me toss some of the things you might want to think about in developing one.

-Where do I intend to cruise 95% of the time. Where might I go 5%
-How many people aboard 95% of the time. How many 5%.
-What size crew. Single handing or normally two or more.
-How long do you see yourself on the boat at a time. How much of the year.
-Do you want a flybridge. You can find pros and cons discussed here.
-Do you prefer a separate Pilothouse or the helm an extension of the living area.
-What do you need in a galley. How much will you cook. What is the nature of your cooking. Do you need it up or down or care.
-What climate will you be in. This impacts the need for indoor vs. outdoor living space and for air conditioning and heat.
-Will you generally be at marinas or anchoring. This impacts electric requirements, water and other.
-What are the issues regarding sleeping quarters to you. Some don't want to sleep nightly in a v-berth in the bow, others don't care. Tied to number of people is number of staterooms and number of heads.
-On heads how do you feel about wet heads vs. separate shower stalls.
-How important is space in the engine room to you
-What kind of speeds do you want. What kind of economy do you require.
-What kind of head space. How tall are you.
-Means of moving between bridge and main deck and of moving to and from the engine room
-What kind of dinghy or tender, how will you use it. How do you prefer it handled.
-Twin engines or single or are you open to both. People will argue pros and cons but that is only relevant if you're open to both. I know all the pros can cons and still am not open to both. If single, do you require a get home engine.
-Stabilization. It's importance varies based on usage.
-Thrusters.
-Size of boat is really a factor of other things listed but it's very important in terms of what you can handle, what you'll be comfortable for, what you can afford both new and owning as a lot of expenses are tied to size.
-Maintenance requirements. Do you like dealing with teak or not.
-Will maintenance by DIY or paid.
-Again determined by type of cruising, but range needed, fuel capacity.
-Visual appeal. Not to others, not what others like, what you like. Most of us don't want to own a boat we think is ugly. Most of us can accept perhaps plain or simple but not something we just don't like.
-Generators, inverters, solar all determined by your type of use and climate.
-How willing and capable are you to do a lot of work upfront. Some people spend a couple of years before they ever use their boat but love that aspect of it.
-People who you would like cruising with you whether family or friends. How appealing is cruising on it to them. If you want someone to join you then best involve them all the way and sure don't get something they won't want to spend time on.

I'm sure I've overlooked many things, but this might help you start.

Excellent list! 89 should be very pleased with the above [your] input.

Sounds like you should start a "dating service" for peoples relationship criteria with pleasure boats. Caus... after all... that's what occurs with owners and pleasure boats - a relationship, be it good, bad, or mediocre! :thumb:

BandB.

What a great list, I really appreciate your effort. Thank you.
I will study it carefully.

Well, I am not happy today. I still don't have my money back.
I went by to the broker's office to pickup my check, but it was not ready. I was told that the process takes longer and he will call me, when it is ready for pickup. Obviously, this is not what I expected. We had a verbal back and forth on who said what, who did what, but at the end, there was no check. I am not sure what could I have done? In my notice of cancellation, I asked for the check in 48 hours. Yesterday, I asked him in an email to make it ready for today morning. It seems my emails do not matter, because I never received any reply to them.
I am really angry. Sorry Gents.

I went by to the broker's office to pickup my check, but it was not ready. I was told that the process takes longer and he will call me, when it is ready for pickup. Obviously, this is not what I expected. We had a verbal back and forth on who said what, who did what, but at the end, there was no check. I am not sure what could I have done? In my notice of cancellation, I asked for the check in 48 hours. Yesterday, I asked him in an email to make it ready for today morning. It seems my emails do not matter, because I never received any reply to them.

And did you ask him what the h... "the process" means? This is getting close to crossing the line from annoying to disgusting to criminal. You said too that he was the owner of the business? If he's the owner why can't he write a check? Or who is the owner and go to them?

So you have no prove he received the emails? Is it an email address that he's previously sent you messages from?

My definition of "The Process." Deposit wasn't segregated from other funds and the account doesn't currently have enough in it to write the check.

Keep on them.

That is crap. Just sent you a PM.

Bottom line- he is the professional and did not act professionally. He must act in your best interest as your representative per the CPYB that he is- and that included proper paperwork completion, proper accounting practices, and timely response in all matters.

BandB.

I don't know who is the real owner of the brokerage. It sounded to me that he was, or he is the senior person there. I asked the exact same question; why could not he write me a check? I got the same excuse as before.
The emails were sent to the same address, what is on his business card. He did reply from that address 1-2 times, so I know it is working.
At the end, when I asked his signature acknowledgement of my cancellation, he gave me a printout of my email and he signed it with the yesterday date.
I really hate this whole thing!

Peter will give good direction, follow it.

I'm guessing the guy is playing "get even" by waiting the full 48 hours you gave him, which will be around 7pm today.

Did you at any time give him an actual hard copy of the withdrawal?

Even though the "Purchase and Sale Agreement is the sloppiest I have ever seen, condition 14 gives you the right to withdraw.

Since there is no broker signature on the Agreement, which of these clowns are you dealing with, Marvin or Kirk? Advance Marine Group - Our Staff

Last edited:
Marvin is his name.

I tried to give him a hard copy of my cancellation (which was signed and attached in an email as he requested from me over the phone call on Monday evening), but he would not take it. Instead, he printed out my original cancellation email (which has triggered his immediate phone call to me on Monday evening) and he signed it with a received note for the 28th.
Why people do this? What is the purpose of this whole game?

Marvin is his name. Why people do this? What is the purpose of this whole game?
Who knows why people behave the way they do. Everyone here can guess and can assign a very appropriate name to this guy but still not understand the tactics.

I still think you will get your money, just not today.

Hopefully someone on here will know the proper authority to report this to. Not just your local Yacht Brokers Association.

The good news is, now there is potential for hundreds of boaters to be aware of this dubious deadbeat.

Hawgwash.

You might be right about the ' revenge '. I just don't see the reason for it. Is that 9K deposit so significant to him, if he is really running a successful business?
He did say to me today that he just could not understand why have I cancelled my offer, since this was a great boat?

Hawgwash.

You might be right about the ' revenge '. I just don't see the reason for it. Is that 9K deposit so significant to him, if he is really running a successful business?
He did say to me today that he just could not understand why have I cancelled my offer, since this was a great boat?
At this point you owe him no explanation and the less you say to him the better. The only dialogue should now be about your deposit.

Oh, and save any and all paperwork, emails, phone records and make notes of dates, conversations and phone calls.

Peter will give you good advice. Listen to him. The fact he's a member of CPYB gives you some leverage. Unfortunately, there are, to my knowledge, still only two states requiring yacht brokers to be licensed.

Have you an attorney friend/associate who would throw an inexpensive legal letter to him? His actions are getting way past reasonable... to the point of criminal. Is he broke and simply does not have capital available?? I hope not for your sake!

I still think you will get your money, just not today.

89, I agree with Hawgwash. I think you will get your deposit back, it is just frustrating and irritating.

Sounds to me as if the guy is a bit sloppy. He didn't do a great job of filling out the initial offer. He apparently isn't able to keep track of his seller to be able to get a reply. He likely isn't organized enough to be able to find the right checkbook to the escrow account to write a check and may not even know how his own financial software works. Maybe his office manager is out so she can't do it for him?

In any event, this isn't a guy that you would probably want to do business with so look at this a good thing. You will get your money, a bit of an education, and be saved from going through the rest of the purchase process with this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom