Which AIS Transponder Is Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Looking for a cheap but functional AIS Transponder. A unit that shows the vessels around me and also transmits my vessel to others. I have two chart plotters, so I don't need the unit to have it's own display.

If you're interface will be through a nmea 2000 conection, I have and like the garmin unit, under $700. With any of the units you are considering, make sure they are compatible with your plotter.

Ted

If you're interface will be through a nmea 2000 conection, I have and like the garmin unit, under $700. With any of the units you are considering, make sure they are compatible with your plotter.

Ted

Is the Garmin 600 the one that you have installed?

Is the Garmin 600 the one that you have installed?

Yes, that's the unit I have. Bought mine over a year ago. They're now just under $800 or my memory is a little faulty. :confused:

Ted

We're fully Raymarine, and will be getting the AIS650 soon. Currently, we have AIS receive thru a SH 2150GX interfaced via NMEA 0183.

Anyone have the CAMINO-108 by AMEC?

One of the features I like about my Garmin that may or may not be standard with all units is the ability to have it on (transmitting) with the plotters off. I wired the power to the same breaker as the nmea 2000 network. Basically this allows me to have a very simple display to monitor depth, wind, anchor drag, and broadcast AIS while at anchor with almost no power consumption. The AIS requires a significant amperage input, but the higher consumption is only for a fraction of a second when it transmits. I leave mine on whenever anchoring out for the night.

Ted

One of the features I like about my Garmin that may or may not be standard with all units is the ability to have it on (transmitting) with the plotters off. I wired the power to the same breaker as the nmea 2000 network. Basically this allows me to have a very simple display to monitor depth, wind, anchor drag, and broadcast AIS while at anchor with almost no power consumption. The AIS requires a significant amperage input, but the higher consumption is only for a fraction of a second when it transmits. I leave mine on whenever anchoring out for the night.

Ted

Having the AIS on while anchored at night is a great idea. One I did not consider.

I also have the SiTex Metadata B. Have been running it for 4 years. Interestingly, the way it displays on the chartplotter has alot to do with the chart plotter's own processing software. For example for two years we ere running it using Open CPN software and it showed all the intersects such as time to closest approach and the distance at closest approach and such information on the screen. Recently we have been using Coastal Explorer now the main screen shows the contact's course and speed, but a separate tab has the CPA and the TCPA. We like the CE approach better as there is less clutter. CE software is better at filtering out targets with low risk.

Cardude and Tadhana: do you have an external gps for this or do you use the internal gps?

Comar CSB200, bought it new on eBay for $230.00, did a saved search until I found a bargain.

We started with a Standard Horizon combo VHF/AIS receiver networked with our MFD. We then added an independent Em Trek Ais transceiver using only the transmit capability. At night we can shut down most everything except the AIS transmit as does O C Diver. This setup works well for us.

we use the internal GPS and it works fine inside our pilothouse.

I used the internal GPS. I think I had to buy a little GPS antenna for the Sitex though. It didn't come with one.

Did you use a dedicated VHF antenna or did you use one of the VHF splitter modules?

I used a splitter, but just because I didn't have enough room to run another cable. Or I was too lazy. Don't remember which. If possible I would use a dedicated VHF antenna.

I used a splitter, but just because I didn't have enough room to run another cable. Or I was too lazy. Don't remember which. If possible I would use a dedicated VHF antenna.

I am definitely lazy. If I could get it to work without having to run another cable, that would be fantastic.

I am definitely lazy. If I could get it to work without having to run another cable, that would be fantastic.

If you're lazy like me, this is the splitter I used. It has a booster so I don't think I lost much signal strength with my VHF. Actually according to the specs I may have gained some! Win/win for the lazy people!! Not super cheap, but neither is my time. Well actually my time is kind of cheap since I don't do much, but I'd rather be chillin with an umbrella drink than cussing running cables, so that's how I justified it.

http://www.vespermarine.com/antenna-splitter-sp160.html

Last edited:
We use a dedicated VHF/AIS antenna to transmit and receive..

Tram Combo VHF/GPS 39 inch Antenna

This is what we used with our Vesper 8000 transceiver. Total cost less than $600, compatible with NMEA 2K as well as NMEA 0183. Using it with a pair of Raymarine E-120s. Works a charm.

Regarding the antenna: The boat originally came with an AIS from West Marine that transmitted through a small sailboat antenna. While the AIS was good, reception was poor (assuming transmitting was also) because of the small antenna. The AIS wasn't reprogramable as WM doesn't support it any more (thanks WM I don't support you either). In the process of redoing the VHF antenna and the AIS, I decided to try running the VHF through the AIS unit to a 17' Shakespeare antenna. Very happy with the results and no loss of performance with either unit. The larger antenna gives much better reception and I assume transmission of the AIS information. Where this really makes a difference is traveling in winding rivers and channels. I can now see tugs pushing barges miles in advance of meeting them. If you travel inland waters with tall trees, buildings, or other land masses, gain and height of the antenna makes a big difference.

Ted

Mind me asking where you scored that deal? This is what I plan to add.

Milltech Marine at milltechmarine.com in Washington state. Nice guy, knows his stuff.

Milltech Marine at milltechmarine.com in Washington state. Nice guy, knows his stuff.

Port Orchard iirc. I have been thinking of connecting with them this fall based on your prior recommendation.

We started with a Standard Horizon combo VHF/AIS receiver networked with our MFD. We then added an independent Em Trek Ais transceiver using only the transmit capability. At night we can shut down most everything except the AIS transmit as does O C Diver. This setup works well for us.

Could you explain why you do this please? What's the advantage over using the transponder to send and receive? (I get the 'at night' bit but presume this is not the reason for using the SH receiver instead of the transponder)

thanks

We went the same route, and it's working perfectly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom