Sailing Dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Great Harbor 10 sails very nicely and rows like a dream. I don't know if they are being made any more though.

I was at a resort in Florida that had an "Escape" plastic sailboat for the guests. I seemed to be the only one interested in it so I was on it everyday for a week.

The "hull" is made of plastic (like a Tonka toy). It's very light and unsinkable. There is only one mast and a boom that is not attached to the mast but to the hull. It can be setup in a moment and in the water in the next moment.

If you can image a 'sailfish' type of sailboat made of a plastic banana with a very adjustable but easy to setup sail. It seemed easy to sail if you wanted it that way or fast and furious if that's what you wanted.

We were actually in Florida to go to Disney World but I had the "E" ticket ride back at the condo.

Hard to set up? I'm 69 years old and I can still set a 16 up in less than a half hour! That said a cat sails quite different from a monohull. And a good sailing small mono hull sails quite different from a dinghy. An inexpensive Laser will sail circles around most dinghys. Find a small boat club and mooch a few rides on different boats. One question is whether or not you mind getting wet! Most small sailboats are not dry!

Well I'm obviously doing it wrong. You're the second one to tell me that now.

How are you stepping the mast? I'm launching the boat off the trailer so stepping the mast while it is on the trailer.

Well I'm obviously doing it wrong. You're the second one to tell me that now.

How are you stepping the mast? I'm launching the boat off the trailer so stepping the mast while it is on the trailer.

It's been a while since I sailed my Hobie16, but it wasn't that hard to rig. If you have the standard wire forestay, swap it out for what used to be called the "Aussie Rig" which was a 3:1 block system with line that allowed us easily raise the mast. It also made it much easier to adjust forestay tension underway.

As far as sailing dinks, I have a Walker Bay 8' with the standard sail kit, and it's a dog. They make a high performance kit which might be better, but mine sails like a pig. It rows like a dream though.

I like that traditional Dyer Dhow. They are light weight. Hard chine makes them more stable that the round bilge dinghies. Their rounded bow means you do not have a sharp point hitting the boat. They are easy to set up . They row and tow well.

My fatty Knees with the sail rig, it's a bit tender but
image.jpg
[/url] [/IMG] great little boat.

Mine. Called an AMF Puffer, 12.5' long, as you can see I'm in the market for a trailer. They made 5000 of these so there should be lots around. Has oars, no motor. Also, that's not me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 57
My fatty Knees with the sail rig, it's a bit tender but
image.jpg
[/url][/IMG] great little boat.

I love the look of these. They're really pretty little boats. I love the name, too. Fatty Knees... I wouldn't ever get tired of telling people that. Like you said, they do seem to be quite tender. I saw a few videos of people sailing them, and they seemed to flop over quite easily. As someone of not inconsiderable size, who isn't terribly quick on his feet, it made me a bit nervous.

I took a look at an ancient O'day 18 footer today. It's a bit bigger than I wanted, a bit older, and considerably uglier, but the price was right. 850 bucks with a trailer.

It was full of water. Like... full full. Probably two feet of water in the Cuddy.

At least I know she doesn't leak below the waterline!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom