Very important question for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I have calculate ,2065 miles at 8 knots , it's 262 hours for the best time , certainly more....I am still has the research of conversion tables"

Just how long is the WL of the boat?

8K is a pretty high speed for an ocean crossing , unless she is 60+ on the water line.

Perhaps a slower speed 7K or 6k might cut the fuel bill in half?

Or increase the range to dry tanks by 40-60%?

For a good guestimate of speed and fuel burn Beede , Passagemaker book # 1 is a good guide.

Last edited:
Hi FF

The boat is 54 ft long with 1400 gallons of fuel tank , of course I will be adjust my speed as a function of the sea it is better for the engines and the consumption

thank you for your interrest

Stéphane

Bug

Sounds like a Diesel Duck.

BTW, mining equipment diesels have four very different things as compared to marine engines. Propulsion, fuel, cooling and exhaust systems. These four account for probably 95% of marine motive power problems. Best to know the intricacies of differences, quickly too if you are planning a Transpac soon.

Hi sunchaser

Yes of course here is many different , I'm talking about just for the rebuild , there is the same engine in intern...after yes we have different cooling and exhaust of course different engine temperature so different consumption etc....
You now , the torque in the mining engine to turn big hydraulic pump is as important like the propulsion as a boat....
can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine? it's about the température or other?
the transpac is not for now , in first i must go to sea and check all the boat and engines , after we will see.....
I dont now in US but in france , we must have in board many parts for engine like new injector , fuel pipe , filters and many other parts if we want traveling in safe and i think it is normal it's a obligation....
If everyone can give me the safety list for a boat in A categroy in USA , I will be greatful because I think it is not the same in france

Thank you everybody
Stéphane

I rebuid myself , I'm working many years on the mining gear , I'm working on many caterpilliar and cimmins engine and rebuild
Sorry Stéphane, I don't understand. If you have not yet purchased the boat, how could you have rebuilt it?

Or did I misunderstand your first post; "Cummins engine 12V of 1973 completely revised"?

"can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine?"

The mining engine can easily be loaded by the amount of fluid it is asked to pump.

A boat engine using a propeller is very limited as to the amount of power it can be asked to put in the water , as it is RPM that changes the power absorbed.

Sure some custom built distance cruisers will have a (CPP, controlable pitch prop) but they are rare and expensive.

A 54 ft boat might have a 49 ft LWL so might cruise well if fairly narrow , and light at 8K in flat water.

Climbing hills (waves) takes more power , and power costs more fuel.

Sorry Stéphane, I don't understand. If you have not yet purchased the boat, how could you have rebuilt it?

Or did I misunderstand your first post; "Cummins engine 12V of 1973 completely revised"?

Hi Hawgwash
my first post asking if if the engine type (cummins) are capable to cruise durring 12/13 days without stop......completly revised BECAUSE if the boat are in good condition like the surveyor said , I buy the boat and I'm starting the rebuil BEFOR to go at home BECAUSE I never take the sea with unknow engines......sorry my english is bad and I dont know so mutch words to explain myself correctly.

Stéphane

"can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine?"

The mining engine can easily be loaded by the amount of fluid it is asked to pump.

A boat engine using a propeller is very limited as to the amount of power it can be asked to put in the water , as it is RPM that changes the power absorbed.

Sure some custom built distance cruisers will have a (CPP, controlable pitch prop) but they are rare and expensive.

A 54 ft boat might have a 49 ft LWL so might cruise well if fairly narrow , and light at 8K in flat water.

Climbing hills (waves) takes more power , and power costs more fuel.

Thank you FF ,

i will asking to a friend to correctly translate your message but in think understand what you want to say.

thank you so mutch to everybody for your patience

Stéphane

Bugster, did you think of buying in Australia, or New Zealand?
Sydney - Noumea is 1225 nautical miles, and for the boat shopping, Air Calamite:) flies Noumea - Sydney in 2.5 hours.

Bug- is that a V1710? And are there two on the boat? Ex-Coast Guard boat?

V1710 has a good reputation. If it survives a good shake-down run I would not go right into a rebuild, just heavy maintenance should get it right.

Neat engine: Basically two banks of the classic 855, but cylinder banks are at 40degrees... Not 90deg, not 60deg, Tight!! And exhaust is inside the cylinder banks. Nice design.

The 1710s are not the engine of choice for doing a Transpac with 1400 g of fuel. Assuming we're not getting pranked, it will be interesting to see the details as they emerge.

Bugster, did you think of buying in Australia, or New Zealand?
Sydney - Noumea is 1225 nautical miles, and for the boat shopping, Air Calamite:) flies Noumea - Sydney in 2.5 hours.

Hi BruceK
Yes I have think to buying in australia but I have found nothing or to expensive

Ding Dong!!! ding dong!!!!
I have news from the seller ;) , the engines are not cummins 12V BUT 6BT of 300 hp.
may be I have not understand the seller , He say to me of the engine are 12V and I have understant engines with 12 cylinders
BUT the 6BT of 300 hp have 12 valves :D :D
So , it is not a serious problème , 6 BT are better to crusing and good reputations
Today some people are going to see me and talk to me , there want make the travel with me and filmed the history for a blog :thumb:

So happy news for me today

Stéphane

Salut Pete
Est-tu français ? si non , tu l'écris bien :D , merci a toi et si tu vois que je m'exprime mal en anglais ou que je ne suis pas assez précis dans ce que je dis , merci de me prévenir
peu être a un de ces jours
Stéphane

En tous cas , soyez tous sûr que je ne pars pas a l'aventure sans y être bien préparer.....

No, I am not French, Stéphane, but I studied it at high school, and I like to practice it for if I can get back to France or New Caledonia.

Do not worry, your English is very good - we can make out what you are saying with no trouble.
"En tout cas , soyez tous sûr que je ne pars pas a l'aventure sans y être bien préparer..."
We can also see you are going into this well prepared.

A pair of 6BTs in an ocean rated and Transpac capable 54 foot vessel with 1400 g of fuel capacity - very unusual.

For most cruiser use , rather than tear down the engine , just because you can, I would be in the group that suggests checking it out first.

As a mechanic a compression test and a blow down test will be cheap (mostly labor ) and easy to do.

While they are out I would have the injectors checked and rebuilt. And get a couple of extras.

I would do an oil sample of engine and transmission and change the oil hot and begin to use whatever oil you will use for your passage.

However nice the boat is it probably can use help in the bilge pump dept for offshore..

A 2 inch belt driven with mechanical clutch Jabsco for each engine would be a minimum.

If you have a generator a home lawn watering pump, also 2 inch works well to bail..

A 2 inch Edson portable mounted on a board would be a good idea.

These can pump can labels and modest bilge trash with out harm.

IF the fuel tanks have inspection ports , use them to clean out any gunk from the tank interior.

Then filter any fuel you fill with , its slow but worth while to use a filter that simply clamps to the fuel delivery nozzle.

At least a 5 day 24/7 run will show up any other items to cure.

Check the LAW , every crew member or guest should have to purchase a ticket home ,,,that YOU hold , or you will be stuck with the air fare bill.

Good luck, sounds like a great adventure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom