ID Number Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on how they are attached. Painted? Ask the manufacturer what solvent will not hurt the material.

Glued?. I would try a heat gun, but at the low setting and not very close. If you can't lift a corner with the numbers just warm, I would stop and go to plan B. I don't have a plan B.

My friends have foldable dinghies and their problem is keeping the numbers on.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 08:36:42 AM

I once saw a rep from now defunct builder of larger sailboats stop by a dealer's pier and change all the hull numbers of the inventory*to the current year model. He used a heat gun.

-- Edited by Doc on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 02:39:25 PM

Doc wrote:

I once saw a rep from now defunct builder of larger sailboats stop by a dealer's pier and change all the hull numbers of the inventory*to the current year model. He used a heat gun.

-- Edited by Doc on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 02:39:25 PM
On fiberglass, a heat gun is the first tool I would readh for.* On an inflatable, I'm not so sure.* Especially a PVC one.* Like I said - warm would be my limit.

Doc;
The Hull numbers are molded in.

Chuck:
I used a heat gun on a Hypalon Dinghy. Slick.
then clean up with toluene.

Hull ID numbers are supposed to be a permanent (unchangeable) part of the hull. My own is embossed into the glass. I don't think it could be changed. The same applies to documentation numbers. A truly legal documentation number is chiseled into a permanent non moveable timber. The only acception I can think of might be in reference to the actual model year, which would involve the last two digits of the HIN. Perhaps (and I say this only from Doc's observation), the last two digits could be changeable for marketing purposes, until a vessel has actually been sold for the first time.

Was that 2 cents worth. I know, you always feel like you've not gotten your moneys worth. Sorry!!!*
no.gif
But remember, you get what you pay for.

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 6th of March 2011 11:32:14 PM

Carey wrote:

Hull ID numbers are supposed to be a permanent (unchangeable) part of the hull.

That's true but registration numbers change with ownership or from state to state.* On an inflatable, it's probably state registration numbers.

Carey,

They were changing the numbers with a heat gun and a set of metal stamps. I didn't think much of it either. The last two numbers would change only the model year. I don't think that they could change the third to last number, that being the year built, legally. But, anything is possible, however. These were factory people doing the changing and they could just as easlily passed out new MSO's to the dealer, thus changing the year built.

Doc wrote:

Carey,

They were changing the numbers with a heat gun and a set of metal stamps. I didn't think much of it either. The last two numbers would change only the model year. I don't think that they could change the third to last number, that being the year built, legally. But, anything is possible, however. These were factory people doing the changing and they could just as easlily passed out new MSO's to the dealer, thus changing the year built.
Doc

I never would have thought that to be legal or ethical, considering that the age of the materials is certainly a consideration when buying a new boat. You actually expect everything to be new. I would. If you had not mentioned the fact that the dealer was now defunct, I might have asked what brand it was. Thanks.

Doc wrote:

Endeavor sailboats. Mid to late 80's models.
******** I suppose they could do it if the boats were never sold or titled.

******** I doubt if they would have made them worth more assuming the design was the same each year.

******** I guess they were desperate.*** JohnP

Back
Top Bottom