View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
We ended up heading back to our slip on Friday and spent some time at a laundromat to get the bedding dried out.

Saturday dawned bright and clear with light winds, waves about 1'-2', no clouds and temps headed for the mid-80's. We had a wonderful weekend in Umatilla as guests of the Umatilla YC. This is our club's 9th year of making that trek and 18 boats from our club attended this time.

Saturday our club fixed dinner for everyone and we all enjoyed a great fireworks show. The fireworks were lit off just 150' or so from our boat so they were going off almost directly overhead with a light breeze carrying the smoke and embers out over the river.

Sunday the UYC cooked breakfast for everyone, then about 11:30 we headed out for the trip back home. Winds were almost nil, no waves or clouds. A perfect day on the water.

I've watched that video several times over the past couple of days and I think I found out what happened. As you look at the bow rising and falling in the first part of the video you see the top of the venturi screen coming up to about where the horizon is.

At about :13 into the video the bow takes a much higher rise with the top of the venturi several degrees above the horizon. I think that's when we hit the big wave. That is followed by the bow dipping lower as it falls into the trough then it appears to plunge directly into the following wave and that is when we took that water over the fly bridge and upper bimini.

I suspect that is also when the hatch was forced open and the water came in, soaking the bedding.

Oh well, things are now dry. We ran two fans throughout the night and the only thing still damp now is the carpet.

The weekend was a great success. The members of the two clubs are pretty similar. Just plain folk who are not pretentious and just like to have fun on their boats. We met some great people from UYC and I think it's safe to say that a good time was had by all.

Thanks, UYC.

Irene, she is, and she had a LOT of fun on this trip.

Oscar, we had passed the Gap where the venturi effect happens and were about 2 miles further down the river when we started really hitting the big waves. At that point the wind was right on our bow and directly against the current.

Tom, no windsurfers in that stretch of the Columbia. They're further down river, near Hood River and The Dalles, OR.