Wind, weather and seas - how much is too much -advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clarence Strait can be mighty tough going when it blows. Wise to lay low and wait it out.

Last edited:
I took this series of pix while northbound at Milbanke Sound in BC some years ago. The SB ship I figure was close to 300' long and much bigger than we were. I took these pix from the PH which was nearly 20' off the water. On the last pic all you can see is the top of the ships mast. Some of these swells were over 20' in height. Most probably 12-16', wind gusting over 60 knots. I don't know how many secs there was between the waves, LOL.

Holy ****...I would not want to be in that! :nonono:

I get a kick out this method of determining waves. Let see, 4' high, 5' apart and coming at oh say 4 secs apart. This is getting overly technical by lots! How about this? Its pretty lumpy out there today! Honestly, in all the years I worked on tugs and fishboats, I never heard anyone deliver such news as that. Silly.

The T in TF doesn't stand for tugs. What may seem silly there is a well established professional practice in yachting and other recreational boats. Having a real means of quantifying things is helpful. Wave height and period are available today from many sources. I can know what to expect before I get out there. And "pretty lumpy", I don't want. That can mean something different to everyone. I don't want to hear "rough." While you might have had a tight community on tugs where it was clearly understood, you also had boats capable of handling far more than those here. We would go out in conditions many here wouldn't, but it's boat dependent, experience dependent, and having a good understanding of what conditions are. To someone on a tug it might be silly, but to a pleasure boater it's critical.

I know that 4' at 8 seconds is mild to me, but 6' at 4 seconds isn't pleasant in most boats. When we got to the PNW, we saw an entire different type wave pattern. Our first day out it was 10' swells at 13 seconds. I was a bit hesitant but soon realized what that was really like. I travel to different areas and interpretation of conditions might be very different. However, wave height and interval is consistent everywhere.

The T in TF doesn't stand for tugs. What may seem silly there is a well established professional practice in yachting and other recreational boats. Having a real means of quantifying things is helpful. Wave height and period are available today from many sources. I can know what to expect before I get out there. And "pretty lumpy", I don't want. That can mean something different to everyone. I don't want to hear "rough." While you might have had a tight community on tugs where it was clearly understood, you also had boats capable of handling far more than those here. We would go out in conditions many here wouldn't, but it's boat dependent, experience dependent, and having a good understanding of what conditions are. To someone on a tug it might be silly, but to a pleasure boater it's critical.

I know that 4' at 8 seconds is mild to me, but 6' at 4 seconds isn't pleasant in most boats. When we got to the PNW, we saw an entire different type wave pattern. Our first day out it was 10' swells at 13 seconds. I was a bit hesitant but soon realized what that was really like. I travel to different areas and interpretation of conditions might be very different. However, wave height and interval is consistent everywhere.
You are correct and I accept your polite admonishment in the spirit in which it was given.

I get a kick out this method of determining waves. Let see, 4' high, 5' apart and coming at oh say 4 secs apart. This is getting overly technical by lots! How about this? Its pretty lumpy out there today! Honestly, in all the years I worked on tugs and fishboats, I never heard anyone deliver such news as that. Silly.
I agree with BandB....maybe that's why I spent 2 careers assisting and saving commercials and fishermen art sea....

Most of the pros I have worked with definitely got serious about the technicals when the seas got serious.

I have found the wave height and period to be a pretty good rule of thumb (ie as per Ski In NC).

In flying there is a great phrase: 'better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here'. Can be applied to boating in the horizonal plane. :)

Just ran a 16 mile off-shore Predicted Log contest off the San Diego coast. The wind waves and the swell came from two opposing directions. While the wave heights were not too bad, the conflicting seas made for an uncomfortable, wet ride. The Sicilian had her hands full tryin' to keep the boat on course. We had a GB in front and behind us, and they were wallowing the same as our Nova sundeck. Not a nice day.

as promised. This is my uncles tug in Lake Washington some years ago during a wild storm near the 520 bridge. He said it was blowing near 100mph.
Picture was taken while streaming on TV, KIRO news in Seattle. Uncle is trying to remember what storm and what year this was but probably in the 60's or early 70's. Hope the pix shows up. Tug is an ex army small tug of about 45'.

Attachments

• 2009 09 25-6 STANDFAST KIRO TV 3A .jpg
    2009 09 25-6 STANDFAST KIRO TV 3A .jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 100
Uncle didn't have that boat then, so it was sometime after. I remember the Columbus Day storm very well. We were living on a houseboat on Fairview E. on Lake Union when it hit, I was 9 years old. Biggest storm to ever hit the PNW if I am not mistaken. It was of historic proportions all up and down the nw coast.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Ok, had to look it up since it wasn't covered in my history books. :)

The Columbus Day Storm of 1962 (also known as the Big Blow,[2] and originally as Typhoon Freda) was a Pacific Northwest windstorm, that struck the West Coast of Canada and the Pacific Northwest coast of the United States on October 12, 1962. It is considered the benchmark of extratropical wind storms.​

Wind gusts up to 178 mph. Wow.

Even in the Seattle area there were gusts around 100 mph. It blew down whole sections of forests on the Olympic Peninsula. Yes, it was a whopper.

Even in the Seattle area there were gusts around 100 mph. It blew down whole sections of forests on the Olympic Peninsula. Yes, it was a whopper.

Wifey B: Well, that was 17 years before I was born so I don't remember much about it. :)

Uncle just told me the storm was the Inauguration Day storm of 1993. He calls it Hurricane Hillary! That was a heck of a storm too.

as promised. This is my uncles tug in Lake Washington some years ago during a wild storm near the 520 bridge. He said it was blowing near 100mph.
Picture was taken while streaming on TV, KIRO news in Seattle. Uncle is trying to remember what storm and what year this was but probably in the 60's or early 70's. Hope the pix shows up. Tug is an ex army small tug of about 45'.

That's a great shot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom