Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Progress Report

This photo of the front of the boat shows the new PH roof which is less dramatic (no more arch) providing a more serious look. The windows have also been slightly tweaked to offer just the right angle (outboard windows only). We really like the use of three medium / large windows compared to more smaller windows we had on the Nordies. If you very hard you can see the new roof has been installed on the salon and extends all the way to the transom providing even more overhead weather protection. The number of enhancements on this boat is remarkable and to be honest we lost track. I know when we finally see the completed boat we find more surprises.

Another aspect of this boat we are excited about is the deep & sharp entry. All our Nordies had a blunt bow which pushes water to the side. Being able to cut into a wave or swell is something we look forward to returning back to like we had on our smaller fishing boats.

Attachments

• Fwd Exterior Jun 50.jpg
    Fwd Exterior Jun 50.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 124
Response

It is great to see these pictures of your boat being built. We did not get too many when ours was built. It looks like you have flipped the main salon port for starboard? That speaks volumes about the builder. Extensive ability to customize the layout. What will our refrigerator and freezer be? Will they be the drawer type?

Great to hear from another Helmsman owner. We will stay in touch over the next few months / years. The refrigerator will be same as the unit used on the 37 Sedan. Thanks

John

I like the changes to the roof and the windows. did they narrow up the verticle structure between the windows? It looks like it is a bit narrower. We find the entry is great going into the seas and even in a following see there is enough buoyancy forward that she does not bow steer.

Photo of OSR

In this photo we can see excellent progress on the OSR. One of advantages of an Island Bed forward is the amount of storage below the bed and the shelving on both sides. The escape hatch is overhead provides both natural light and of course an emergency escape. Additional storage below the side shelving and two hangar lockers forward provides ample storage for long weekends or even living aboard.

The head is aft to port and separate shower to starboard, which is another nice touch in this boat. The day head off the salon / galley also includes a shower. Amazing to have two bathrooms on a 38 footer.

Attachments

• OSR Jun 50%.jpg
    OSR Jun 50%.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 101
In this photo we can see excellent progress on the OSR. One of advantages of an Island Bed forward is the amount of storage below the bed and the shelving on both sides. The escape hatch is overhead provides both natural light and of course an emergency escape. Additional storage below the side shelving and two hangar lockers forward provides ample storage for long weekends or even living aboard.

The head is aft to port and separate shower to starboard, which is another nice touch in this boat. The day head off the salon / galley also includes a shower. Amazing to have two bathrooms on a 38 footer.

The day head is a nice feature on the Helmsman yachts. The only downside is the space list and another head to maintain. The upside is convenience and redundancy.

Windows

I like the changes to the roof and the windows. did they narrow up the verticle structure between the windows? It looks like it is a bit narrower. We find the entry is great going into the seas and even in a following see there is enough buoyancy forward that she does not bow steer.

The size and spacing of the forward facing PH windows should be the same. It may the new roof line which make them appear to be closer. We did discuss modifying their overall size to something a little smaller for protection from crashing waves but the reality is that we have no business being out in that type of weather. Scott also reported current and previous owners never reported an issue with the windows. So if isn't broken why fix it? Coming from Nordhavns which are designed to cross oceans thus require smaller windows and dark inside we are looking forward to a little more natural light and improved visibility. The fact the windows are sloped inward provides that little extra level of safety if we were to get caught in bad weather and experienced waves crashing head on.

We are among the H 38 owners who have tested the windows and can report no problems with the windows. On three occasions we have been able to put the nose through a wave and take solid water to the windscreen. Solid green water. The first time we were caught in a squall at the mouth of the Choptank. It got so rough I just pointed her into the seas and held position till it blew over. The waves were so large that when we went off the top, as the bow fell into the trough the engine hatch would open a crack and then close with a bang. The waves were very short and we hit a set where the result was inevitable: we submerged the bow. It had been a warm day so one side door was open, When we submerged the bow we took a slug of water into the pilot house and into the salon. WE knew better, but had forgotten to close the door As the boat was falling the binocs lifted off the dash board and landed on the keyboard of the navigation computer and broke three keys. The GHJ were never right after that. The other two times we put the bow into waves and took solid water, we were at the mouth of the Potomac. That is a particularly nasty area with a well deserved reputation. In all cases, the boat performed well, it was no reflection on the boat at all, we were out in so seriously rough water. Cristina and I are known for that. WE are not fair weather sailors and will take our 38 out in weather that most other boaters don't venture into. We have no intention of crossing open oceans, but as far as coastal exploration, we are adventurous.

WE are not fair weather sailors and will take our 38 out in weather that most other boaters don't venture into. We have no intention of crossing open oceans, but as far as coastal exploration, we are adventurous.

That is one word for it... ;)

Progress Report

A few photos from last week continue to show progress with the interior. One photo shows the near completion of the forward galley storage cabinets and the other shows the OSR entry. Due to the low profile PH on this boat the designer went with a neat entry design. Instead of a full size door there is a top side slider that meets a smaller half door. Something similar to what you would see on many sailboats when entering the salon from the outside. Again something different for us and we think is cool.

Since these photos are now one week old we expect to see the start of wiring in the next set of photos. We are getting closer to realizing out next dream.

John

Attachments

• Galley 2 draws June.jpg
    Galley 2 draws June.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 99
  • OSR Door Jun.jpg
    OSR Door Jun.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 89
Dont Add

Well we did it again. Today we were exploring our davit options and decided on a low profile style davit crane. It will be mounted on the port side of the aft deck with the pole extending down to the aft deck. In discussing this with Scott, he advised we should have the yard modify the railing allowing for easier launch of the dingy. Not one to add "options" once the boat is under contract this just made sense and we told Scott to make the change.

Once again I will advise others who may venture out on a new build not to add things after the contract is signed since must builders will charge a significant amount for any change. Fortunately this is NOT the case with Scott.

We are looking forward to the next set of photos which should include focus on the electrical and starting installation of major equipment. If all goes as planned the boat should be ready to ship in about 3-4 weeks.

John

Progress Report

No new photos this past week to post but expect some very soon. This past week was spent working on the LLC paperwork, purchasing a new handheld VHF radio which West Marine had on sale and looking at the Caribe line of dingy boats.

We will be spending the 4th of July in San Diego to watch the large Fireworks display on the bay. Hope everyone enjoys their holiday weekend.

John

New Photos

No sooner did I push the send button on the previous email advising we were expecting new photos soon we received a set from Scott. These two photos of the Pilothouse show great progress including the completion of the larger instrument panel and our slightly custom seat. If you look closely you can see the small curved handrail on the side of the captains seat which adds a nice touch. The CB panel located below the seat appears ready for wiring. In the second photo you can appreciate the size of this PH including the L-shaped setae to port. Amazing just how large this PH for a 38' boat. The amount and size of the windows is perfect providing great visibility and natural light.

Needless to say Mary is now starting to get excited about the boat and all the changes we made. Up until now is has been difficult for her to visualize exactly what we did especially since she has never seen or been aboard a Helmsman trawler. So far I think I'm still safe in that once the boat arrives she will be pleased and not send both the boat and me back to the yard :).

Happy 4th of July

Attachments

• PH Fab July 1.jpg
    PH Fab July 1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 141
  • PH Fwd Fab July 1.jpg
    PH Fwd Fab July 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 122
Galley Photo

This photo shows good progress with the galley cabinets and we are able to get a better feel for the amount of cooking area we were trying to achieve with the redesign. As with any type of design it always a challenge to balance all your requirements especially in a small space like a boat.

The sink will be installed against the aft bulkhead so when we are doing dishes we will be looking aft out the large window. The stove / oven will be installed to port with a wood draw below followed by the refrigerator/freezer as we move forward. The two cabinets with sliding drawers on top will be used for silverware and small towels on top and food storage below.

A drop down cabinet which will hold a flat screen TV will be mounted to the ceiling above the forward window.

John

Attachments

• Galley Fab July 1.jpg
    Galley Fab July 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 117
Needless to say Mary is now starting to get excited about the boat and all the changes we made. Up until now is has been difficult for her to visualize exactly what we did especially since she has never seen or been aboard a Helmsman trawler. So far I think I'm still safe in that once the boat arrives she will be pleased and not send both the boat and me back to the yard :).

Happy 4th of July

Wifey B: Mary's not the only one. I've never been on a Helmsman and then who knows if I had would I recognize it with Mr. Change Order building it with Scott, but I can only visualize it from their website. Even then seeing it naked I can't see it going from Point A to Point B. I'm sure it will be beautiful though. I just have to trust. When we built a boat I didn't even try to get into between order and delivery.

Salon Entry

This photo provides a nice view of how the boat will appear when entering from the aft deck. The large sliding door will open to an unobstructed open area (measuring approximately 8' x 8') between the galley to port and salon to starboard. Based upon our "90% rule" on how we use a boat and where we spend most of our time, this area of the boat is key to our level of enjoyment and the redesign. Once the boat arrives Mary will decide what type of small Hi-Low table to add to the salon. The centerline microwave cabinet will be built against forward bulkhead just right of the day head. The rectangle step leading to the Pilothouse is temporary and will be replaced with a smaller single step finished in teak with a small new designed handrail to starboard.

John

Attachments

• Salon Entry July 1.jpg
    Salon Entry July 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 133
4th of July

While spending the 4th in SD w/o a boat was a little disappointing we did accomplish a major milestone and secured what appears to be a great slip at our favorite marina. We are surrounded by low profile sailboats in front and to starboard except on one side where there is a bubble boat. Our view from PH is of downtown SD which at nighttime is great. The one downside is that slip is downwind which will at times make things interesting when docking.

The Fireworks display was great with 4 large barges and a few hundred thousand close friends showing up along the waters edge. We decided the view from our 10t floor balcony was just perfect and decided to stay in watch.

We anticipate to see electrical work being well underway when the next batch of photos arrive from the yard.

John

Update

While Scott is away at a Camino Boat owners get together we needed to find something boat related to keep busy. We decided it was time to renew our membership to Boat US and their towing service (just in case). Funny thing is when I was growing up on Long Island, NY the Coast Guard would tow you in if you had an issue. Times have changed but to be honest I don't mind taking out a little insurance "just in case" as the pacific coast line is, well lets say long and once you are just 10 mikes out you can go hours without seeing another boat. At least we have a VHF and EPIR just in case we need the Coast Guard. We thought we were taking advantage of a $99 special but the online bill came out a regular rate. Sometimes I hate computers and not talking with a person. Well that's about all for today.

While Scott is away at a Camino Boat owners get together we needed to find something boat related to keep busy. We decided it was time to renew our membership to Boat US and their towing service (just in case). Funny thing is when I was growing up on Long Island, NY the Coast Guard would tow you in if you had an issue. Times have changed but to be honest I don't mind taking out a little insurance "just in case" as the pacific coast line is, well lets say long and once you are just 10 mikes out you can go hours without seeing another boat. At least we have a VHF and EPIR just in case we need the Coast Guard. We thought we were taking advantage of a $99 special but the online bill came out a regular rate. Sometimes I hate computers and not talking with a person. Well that's about all for today.

Yeah... those were the days! 50's / 60's My family usually boated out of Freeport. Did lots of coastal trips north to Maine and beyond. Got towed in once to Block Island... by CG... due to fuel line blockage.

That Boat US towing policy is a nice resource. We have been members for 25 years. Only been towed once. It is not pretty, what a lightning strike takes out. Very glad to have a tow policy, but hope we never need it again.

Progress Report - Early July

We received the latest batch of photos on Monday which indicates they were likely taken late last week. From this photo you can see work has started with the flybridge console and all protective tape applied to the boat as work progresses. While there remains a fair amount of work Scott is starting to plan his next visit to the yard for final inspection of the boat in preparation for shipment. In other photos he sent we can see the start of electrical wiring and work on the last remaining salon cabinet. Soon after the electrical is completed we should see all the appliances installed followed by finishing touches and the beginning of system testing.

When you think about all the enhancement this first H38E is receiving which drove a lot of new tooling combined with our customization its impressive how smooth things have progressed. The yard should be commended for their efforts.

John

Attachments

• Exterior July 7th.jpg
    Exterior July 7th.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 132
When you think about all the enhancement this first H38E is receiving which drove a lot of new tooling combined with our customization its impressive how smooth things have progressed. The yard should be commended for their efforts.

John

I'm amazed Scott didn't strangle you. Yes, the time based on the circumstances seems quite reasonable. It will be very special because you were the first with many of these features.

Progress Report - Early July

Here is another photo which partially shows off the redesigned PH forward windows shape and the port side steps leading up to the upper deck. We are really pleased with the way the redesigned PH roof line and windows turned out.

John

Attachments

• PH Window July 7.jpg
    PH Window July 7.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 536
John,

I am curious what your thought process was regarding the port-side galley arrangement effecting the ability to have a full size refrigerator as with the original starboard design? I think I remember you mentioning you only anchor seldom and like to eat out at restaurants. Did refrigerator/freezer capacity ever come into play? Did you and Scott come up with a larger capacity option for the new port-side design?

John,

I am curious what your thought process was regarding the port-side galley arrangement effecting the ability to have a full size refrigerator as with the original starboard design? I think I remember you mentioning you only anchor seldom and like to eat out at restaurants. Did refrigerator/freezer capacity ever come into play? Did you and Scott come up with a larger capacity option for the new port-side design?
Great question and something we were just discussing with Scott last month (almost another change). I asked if we could add a second refrigerator possibly above the washer/dryer just in case we needed it. Turns out we didn't have enough room by a few inches. If we had thought about this during the design phase in sure we could have added it. Our fallback plan (if we decide we need it) is to add either the second refrigerator or freezer in the flybridge area. We noticed on the last H43 the owners put their washer / dryer in the ER which is being innovative. If not for the heat down below you could add a freezer their. Another option for you would be to select a stand alone refrigerator and freezer and install them side by side in the galley, they can fit. We went with the single larger refrigerator with smaller freezer.

John

I'm saving for a 43 in a couple years and have toyed with the idea of adding a standalone freezer encased in a fiberglass cabinet in the cockpit against the starboard or port bulkhead, which leaves the other side for chairs and small table. It would be in a forever shaded spot but I would worry about all my steaks & ice cream going missing when cruising the caribbean islands :)

Love reading your journey and really wish you happiness when it is complete.

July 17th Update

Mary and I decided to spend another couple of nights in SD and made a visit to West Marine on Friday to pick up two new Mustang Offshore Life Vests. Their one day only sale had them reduced from $339 to $200 each. While many people may consider this a lot of money to spend on something you may never use and option for a lesser expensive substitute, we view life vests as our last line of defense from drowning if the worst should occur thus willing to spend the money. Of course Mary found a few more beach towels to add to the cart (so many beach towels - we are going to need a larger boat) and few other small items.

We also went by the marina to try out Daisy's new stroller, OK an explanation is likely required. Daisy is our 16 year old Chihuahua who has been our only kid. She has been the best and smartest dog we ever owned and lived aboard (part time) all three Nordhavn's with us. In her younger years she owned the docks (at least she thought she did) and made the boats her own. Last year she lost her hearing and eyesight at the same time but other than that is in good health. Taking her for walks is more or less standing around with her on a lease as she smells the air. Mary had seen other dogs around SD being pushed in strollers and told me she was going to buy one for Daisy. I told her it was not going to work and Daisy will jump out of it. Needless to say my opinion didn't count for much and she went on-line and purchased one for Daisy (thank god its blue and gray and not pink). Well the good news is I was wrong. The dog likes it and will even settle down at times and fall asleep. Needless to say she was a hit where ever we went including restaurants at Seaport Village downtown. Having the stroller will now allow Mary and I to take those long walks along the bay for exercise while taking Daisy with us (win / win for everyone).

Getting back to the marina, we checked in the office before taking another walk to the slip just to double check our surroundings and reconfirmed it appears we got lucky with a great slip location which offers what should be nice views of downtown from the PH and Flybridge.

Scott forwarded a few new photo's yesterday which was great timing as we in the hotel overlooking all the boats in the marina and discussing the new boat.

In this nice side view you can see the all new upper aft deck extension to the transom. For those who boat where the weather changes seasonally this configuration makes it easy to add a full enclosure turning the aft deck into an additional area to lounge. It also provides more room up top for the dingy. You can see the upper deck railing being installed as well as the two transom posts (now vertical not angled forward). The light blue hull color is just a protective covering the yard uses to protect the hull finish.

Scott reported our last cargo container of equipment has left for the yard including a few last minute items we changed / added. Scott will be at the yard the first week of August to inspect our boat as it finishes up add gets ready transit to SD. We are getting a little closer and very excited.

Attachments

• July 17, ext side view.jpg
    July 17, ext side view.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 135
I would be getting to the very excited stage as well. I think it's great that you've gotten a full perspective of where you'll be docking and the surroundings. We very much enjoyed our stay in San Diego. We were there 12 days and our boat there 33. Those who stayed on our boat while we were home had a great time as well. It just had a very nice comfortable feel.

July 17 Stern

On our previous post we discussed how the new upper aft deck extension will allow owners to easily enclosed their lower aft deck and possibly add to a longer boating season. This photo from the stern provides a nice view of the overhang, aft boarding door entrance, vertical support posts, railings being worked on topside and the hull shape aft with keel below.

I find it interesting that the hull shape aft is that is not very different than our N40's in that both designs have soft chimes (softens the roll) and the amount radius or curve on the aft bottom of the hull (especially at centerline) is similar. Of course a semi-displacement hull trawler (H38E) will be flatter aft to help prevent the hull from squatting when power is applied (like a Downeast Style hull). Now if you look at a KK FD hull design you will see a significant difference in hull shape aft compared to both the N40 and H38E as they stay closer to a traditional sail boat hull design.

The only downside we have experienced from a flat stern on our N40 was the temporary lost of steering control in medium to large following seas. This is less likely to occur with a sailboat designed hull which allows following seas to flow around the aft end of the hull instead of pushing the boat forward and at times lifting up the stern. These traditional sailboat hull designs can be found on some FD boats built today like the KK or older N62 and N46 (downside is you give up space aft). As with everything in life you have to be willing to except tradeoffs to get what you think is most important and hull designs are no exception. At some point in this discussion (after the boat arrives) I plan to start a discussion on hull shape / design in more detail but for now we are pleased with our selection (H38E) and counting on it to alleviate the need for active fin stabilization and even trim tabs based on our planned usage / speed of the boat (keeping things simple this time around).

Attachments

• July 17, ext stern view.jpg
    July 17, ext stern view.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 122
Looking good John and Mary. We have certainly found that the aft deck enclosure gives us an additional room Very handy for taking off wet gear in rainy weather. Perhaps in SD screens may not be necessary but with the mosquitoes and biting flies here on the east coast, we have a screened enclosure too. If you add a screen option, you will find that the yellow dinghy bailer sponge from WM will nicely fill the hawse pipes to keep bugs out.

Back
Top Bottom