The long way home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a plan. May be a few months though. Our next trip to Washington will only take us as far as the south sound. (You have good taste in beer too )

Last edited:
A lot easier to bid that way, you don't have to put your money where your mouth is.

Yeah, I remember when I used to take Cardude's comments with a grain of salt. Then on a run through Texas, I figured I'd stop at his car lot and see his operation. I figured it would be something like the Used Cars Movie, you know, a dusty old lot like in the first photo. Then I saw it (second photo).

Attachments

• used cars.jpg
    used cars.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Car Dude Rolls Royce.jpg
    Car Dude Rolls Royce.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 241
It's actually closer to the first one. ?

I owe it all to this book!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466820249.603606.jpg

Underway......
Snug as a bug in a rug below decks. Driest sail she has ever seen I expect or ever will I hope.

Mind boggling............

Attachments

• Libra lift to cargo.jpg
    Libra lift to cargo.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 164
  • Libra below decks shipping.jpg
    Libra below decks shipping.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Libra all buttoned down.jpg
    Libra all buttoned down.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 155
very funny look like toy on a box near a plastic bottle !!!

well down

Hugues

Underway......
Snug as a bug in a rug below decks. Driest sail she has ever seen I expect or ever will I hope.

Mind boggling............

Excellent! Congrats on the progress!

This is Libra's ride, a general cargo ship named Star Kvarven. I will be anxiously following her AIS signal for the next several weeks.

Attachments

• Libra's ride.jpg
    Libra's ride.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 170
101TUG; said:
very funny look like toy on a box near a plastic bottle !!! well done
Hugues, maybe there is a sailboat in that bottle.:ermm:
This is Libra's ride, a general cargo ship named Star Kvarven. I will be anxiously following her AIS signal for the next several weeks.
Do you know yet where in BC she will be offloaded?

Hugues, maybe there is a sailboat in that bottle.:ermm:
Do you know yet where in BC she will be offloaded?

Hawg,
Carrier has the option of two ports: New Westminster/Squamish or the Fraser River. Both are pretty close to where she will be moored in Blaine Harbor. I think I clear entry at Pt. Roberts.

klee wyck; said:
Carrier has the option of two ports: New Westminster/Squamish or the Fraser River. Both are pretty close to where she will be moored in Blaine Harbor. I think I clear entry at Pt. Roberts.
Not to second guess but more to clarify. New Westminster is on the Fraser. Squamish is up Whistler way.

If I had my druthers, I would try to avoid Squamish.
Too bad she can't be dropped (sorry, bad choice of words) at Roberts Bank (CA) which is a stone's throw from Point Roberts (US) and minutes from Blaine.

Not to second guess but more to clarify. New Westminster is on the Fraser. Squamish is up Whistler way.

If I had my druthers, I would try to avoid Squamish.
Too bad she can't be dropped (sorry, bad choice of words) at Roberts Bank (CA) which is a stone's throw from Point Roberts (US) and minutes from Blaine.

Yep, should have read my post before I hit send. Their two options are New Westminster up the Fraser or Squamish up the Sound. I get no say in the matter and will be notified as arrival gets closer.

Bill thanks for the pictures of the loading. It looks like these guys take care of "their" boat also. Interesting that they put wood between the deck and your cradle and everything looks well secured.

A while back, I talked about an old friend and the boat Argonaut II.

The owner was an eccentric with too much money.
Anyway, before the Argonaut, in the late 60s he bought a real junk in China and shipped it here.

It came on deck. The cradle and all the hold downs were large solid teak timbers which he sold and recovered all purchase and shipping costs. A free boat.

With all the dreamers here wanting your boat, I'd keep a close eye on the AIS. If it drifts into the Gulf of Mexico, consider the boat lost at sea.:)

I see she is just leaving the English Channel, this is going to be fun.
Do you know the routing, Bill?

Very cool boat and experience! I have started researching buying a boat in Europe, using it there and shipping it back. Not for the faint hearted! I am on Lopez Island, if you ever get over this way, drop a PM. There is a little cheese making going on here too. Congratulations,
John

Hawg:
thread drift warning
I remember the Yum Yum too.

Libra has made her first US port of call and is aboard her transport moored in Mobile AL just north of 110. We got an update today and she is scheduled into New Westminster BC where we take over on Aug. 19.
Counting......

Attachments

• Libra rear sheer.jpg
    Libra rear sheer.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 143
We got an update today and she is scheduled into New Westminster BC where we take over on Aug. 19.
Counting......
:thumb:That is great news. Instead of sitting in a mill yard with a bunch of rusted and busted Kenworths, she'll be in with the Maseratis.

Libra's transport is just set to enter the Northeast end of the Panama Canal and they have moved up her estimated arrival in BC to the 15th.
This is about to get exciting it seems (though this whole thing has kept my blood pressure up from the beginning......).

Libra's transport is just set to enter the Northeast end of the Panama Canal and they have moved up her estimated arrival in BC to the 15th.
This is about to get exciting it seems (though this whole thing has kept my blood pressure up from the beginning......).
I'm excited for you. I've been checking her progress once a week or so and it's been fun.

Also, there is a boat moored here in Sidney called Long Way Home which triggers a thought of you and Libra when I see it.
:thumb:

Geeze, what a torture. The final step to being united with your dream boat!

"I have started researching buying a boat in Europe, using it there and shipping it back. Not for the faint hearted!'

UNLESS you are a great marine electrician.

Or have a monk like lifestyle.

Well Bill, looks like Libra just rounded third and is headed for home.

STAR KVARVEN departed from
Port PANAMA CANAL
at 2016-07-31 20:07 Local Time (2016-08-01 01:07 UTC) Time of Arrival/Departure is the time the Vessel approaches the entrance/exit of the Port respectively.

Back
Top Bottom