View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #29
Paul M
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
When did anchoring become so complicated

As some have said, anchoring becomes more complicated as your investment increases and the size of your vessel gets larger. I will also add as your cruising horizons get larger and the anchoring circumstances change with many different bottoms and depths you may find that you need to change your anchor or anchoring habits. However, you may also find that your old anchor is fine or, conversely, that you need to invest in something different. Knowledge and experience is the key. I have anchored from Maine to Florida and in many Caribbean islands and you learn to adapt to each situation using your prior experience to guide you. The more you anchor the better you get at it.

I have found that in a crowded anchorage when one boat uses excessive scope and then the wind or current changes it messes up the entire anchorage. While, for the normal conditions (not storm or gale force) you need to have a safe amount of scope, an amount over 5 to 1 generally makes a mess during the middle of the wind or current change that can upset the entire anchorage. Often, when entering an anchorage and most boats are using all chain and the chain is hanging straight down, you are forced to assume that the nearest boats to where you intend to drop your hook are set at a normal scope and then you plan accordingly. When it turns out a particular boat has anchored using excessive scope then a problem can occur. My practice has been to ask the boats around me where their anchor was located, but sometimes the owner is away and that's not possible or the problem can originate from a boat anchored a long way off from your boat.

For the most part, anchoring is a pleasant part of cruising and the problems are few and far between. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote