Manatee Boarding Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaylic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
KASSIE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
We will be removing the swim platforms from the stern of our Manatee. While functional, they are seriously ugly. But, we will now have to face getting back in the boat from swimming (both voluntary and involuntary). What do you use as a ladder? Over the gunwale seems like the production ladders are too short (4 step). Do you have a system of attaching to transom door? Advice needed. If anyone wants the old platforms let me know.
Bob
KASSIE 3690
Worton Creek MD

Oh well, thought someone would have an idea.

Send Healhustler a pm .He is the manatee guru .

We're looking at a Manatee with brackets on the transom off to the side of the drop down platform for a swim ladder to be attached. But, we're also thinking of adding a real swim platform. How bad could yours be that you want to remove it?

Also, do you find that marinas add the length of the platform on to the 36' for slip / haul out purposes?

Bob: Sorry to hear that you're amputating the platform, although I agree that the setup is a bit awkward. Yours and two others are the only boats I've seen with the swim platform accessory, three including mine. The transom tailgate door operation was a novel idea for that era but was only part of what could be better access to and from the water. The correct ladder is vital, in my opinion.

I was kind of fed up with the Manatee access from the water and spent a lot of time and money to make improvements as a part of our man-overboard plan. I still haven't selected a ladder to fit the new platform yet, but I'm close. It's going to be more on the order of a dock ladder than a boat ladder, IE, Great Harbour.

Meanwhile, I'll scrape up some examples from some other boats in the archives. For now, here is a photo of what was our primary access ladder and will be kept as an alternate. I love the look, but those skinny steps are painful with my 240 lbs. pressing on them. The new ladder will have wide steps.

Attachments

• swim ladder.jpg
    swim ladder.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 119
Bob: I looked through the archives and only found a few ladder indications. Swanee out of North Carolina and Happy Hours of Texas both have port mounted permanent ladders attached adjacent to the tailgate door. They must also have an extension attached. Hog Fish of Ft. Pierce, FL has something attached to the top of the tailgate that might be a ladder and that black thing on the starboard stern is a outboard pusher mount, nice idea. Velvet of ''who knows where now'' shows a set of ladder clamps just above the rub rail, also on port. I only saw one other ladder, that was on the well traveled Morningstar (also FL), and he has a teak swim platform that a telescoping ladder rests on top, barely visible if you enlarge the photo.

Attachments

• stern morningstar.jpg
    stern morningstar.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 130
  • stern velvet.jpg
    stern velvet.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 182
  • stern Hogfish.jpg
    stern Hogfish.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 158
  • stern Happy Hours.jpg
    stern Happy Hours.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 131
  • swanee.jpg
    swanee.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 123
Larry, thanks for the assorted options. Very informative. On your photo, how many steps are there? Why side mounted and not on transom so you could just step on to transom door?
I think you saw our swim platform, it looks fine with door down but when up it is just ugly. Looks really odd with the two small platforms and large space in between. I think with the proper ladder we would be fine. Am I missing something in taking them down?
Thanks
Bob

I ordered a six step folding gunwale mount ladder that work great mounted either side of the transom door. Larry mentioned wide steps vs round pipe steps, you definitely need the wide steps. The supplier no longer sells the ladder we purchased but might be still available else where.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 120
That's just what I'm looking for. Now, to find it. Thanks
Bob
KASSIE 3693

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom