When did anchoring become so complicated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
I have been anchoring in many boats, sail and power for a long time and always considered it the most pleasant way to stop for the night. Put it down, back down on it to make sure it holds then your are done. If it doesn't set move to a different place or use a different anchor if you have one. Most of the time all is well.

Reading posts recently it seems that the more high tech the anchors become the more trepidation attaches to anchoring.

My only answer is that people don't drop the hook often enough to realize it is simple and not fearful but quite enjoyable to just stop where you are and relax.

I think a big part of the problem is Mfg that want big bucks for a little bit of steel.

So they advertise their " wonder super wow " 13lbs is good for a 50 ft boat.

A good sized anchor , the biggest that will fit in the bow roller , usually will do a job the expensive watch fob wont.

Give you a good nights sleep.

bayview,
What a great post.
But the better anchors are actually making it even simpler and closer to bullet proof. At times of course it is'nt but most all the time any one of my anchors will do fine and plunk and pull a bit will work great too.
It's really great to be reminded of that.
But it is good to remember the bottom is the biggest variable.

Someone here posted an anchoring experience where, "The winds changed from a roaring freight train to a screaming Banshee".

That's in the back of everyone's mind, I believe, when they keep coming back to the subject. Will their gear hold?

Someone here posted an anchoring experience where, "The winds changed from a roaring freight train to a screaming Banshee".

That's in the back of everyone's mind, I believe, when they keep coming back to the subject. Will their gear hold?

Yup. There are some places where I could just dump my chain rode and the boat won't go anywhere without an anchor. However, when weather comes up, I want my anchor to hold well.

Another point is that boaters are often moving up in size. I know my own experience over the years with anchoring went from sailboats starting at 21', to 24', to 29', to 36', to 40', and now to a power boat at 43'. Each of those jumps put more demand on the ground tackle I was using and making sure it was set properly became more important. No longer am I contend to toss a small Danforth over the side with a bit of nylon line like I was with the 21' sailboat.

It isn't rocket science, but I like to do what I do reasonably well. I don't have to be perfect, but I like to do things "properly" if I can. I think many others are the same. If it is worth doing it is worth doing well and so on...

It is a simple process IMO. I use an "old time" anchor (Danforth) and never had any trouble to speak of. Drop, lightly set, secure snubber, shut down engine, have a beer.

It is a simple process IMO. I use an "old time" anchor (Danforth) and never had any trouble to speak of. Drop, lightly set, secure snubber, shut down engine, have a beer.

In that order?

I have been anchoring in many boats, sail and power for a long time and always considered it the most pleasant way to stop for the night. Put it down, back down on it to make sure it holds then your are done. If it doesn't set move to a different place or use a different anchor if you have one. Most of the time all is well.

Reading posts recently it seems that the more high tech the anchors become the more trepidation attaches to anchoring.

My only answer is that people don't drop the hook often enough to realize it is simple and not fearful but quite enjoyable to just stop where you are and relax.

anchoring became more complicated for me the first time I woke up and found myself on the beach

The complication came when armchair experts began espousing their wares of knowledge on forums. And the complication isnt how to anchor but how to sift through all the espoused wares. :)

20 years ago we had the CQR, Delta, Bruce and the Danforth types. Today we have Manson, Rocnas and more exotic types that set easier and hold better.

The tests by Panope cut through the BS of marketing hype and the prejudice of zealous owners and gives us practical information that we can use to select a modern, high performance anchor.

David

It seems odd to complain about too much new technology in anchoring in a high-tech forum that didn't exist more than a handful of years ago. It's like saying that you don't need to post your thoughts here because you could have just used CompuServe's BBS instead at 2400 baud - it was just as good.

Anchor technology has leaped in the last 10 years. If you don't want to make the leap, that's fine. I just hope you anchor behind me than in front of me...

I wonder if part of the caution / concern one sees in these kind of threads has to do with the increased size and value of our vessels over what we may have had in the past. While I care about all my boats, I obsess about the trawler more. Having good insurance doesn't seem to ease the OCD. While I do sleep well at night because of an over sized anchor and all chain, haven't reach the comfort level of less than 7:1 scope.

Ted

Hey Jeffrey, Nice new boat!!

Hey Jeffrey, Nice new boat!!

Is it you present vessel now Jeff, or just one you like so put in your avatar, as you have not changed the boat in your profile from the De Fever..?

Yes, and darn good post, as others have also said. Sometimes we forget that with today's good weather forecasts, common sense, and a reasonably decent anchor, it should really be as you say 99% of the time, and it is only the 1% of unexpected adversity that need give rise to anyone to question their gear.

However, as several have pointed out, progress happens, whether we like it or not, so to get the most fun out of it, to quote those old banjo-pickin' fellows..."just jump in, and ha-yang aawn...

been anchoring a 21' Dovekie, then a 28' Shearwater Yawl, then a - - -

Albin-25 for a total of 35 years using Bruce anchors generously sized for those boats and have never had a problem on all sorts of bottoms.

I hold media "anchor tests" suspect because they simplify the bottom variables, and may not be comparing apples to apples when it comes to anchor size/boat displacement specifications. I say that because if you compare the specs in anchor sales brochures they do not progress exactly alike, foot by foot and lb for lb.

I certainly see no reason to invest in an expensive new anchor when the Bruce works so well. BTW the Dovekie and Shearwater were outfitted by Edey & Duff when built. They could easily have installed much cheaper Danforth knock-offs. The Albin came to us with a Danforth, and we switched to a Claw (Bruce knock-off) quickly.

When you must market an expensive item that costs double of possible replacements, the buyer must justify the extra cost.

Therefore:
1. make the process sound complicated,
2. put out videos and tests that may look scientific, but are anything but, and
3. recommend weights and scope so heavy and long that any anchor will be successful.

That's what Product Managers are paid for.

When did anchoring become so complicated?

It hasn't - Anchoring is rather simple/easy... If you know what you're doing.

Similar to docking, cruising, boat-maintenance... etc - all of which are rather simple/easy... If you know what you're doing.

Each topic offers broad opportunity to chat on boating forums trying to learn best way to do "IT", or, trying to explain best way to do "IT"... whatever the subject/case may be.

Happy Marine-Doings Daze! - Art :speed boat:

PS: Anchoring is compilation of rules of physics... basically, either you have innate understanding, learned understanding, or follow the guidelines understanding of physics rules that relate to anchoring - or you don't. :D

Last edited:
It isn't rocket science, but I like to do what I do reasonably well. I don't have to be perfect, but I like to do things "properly" if I can. I think many others are the same. If it is worth doing it is worth doing well and so on...
:thumb: :iagree:

The anchoring debate seems to be everywhere, I had a guy walking the dock a few years back give me crap for " still using a Bruce when there are way better anchors available" speech. This was just some schmuck visiting the marina and I was working on the bow of the boat so I guess I was a easy target.
He was rather passionate and resolute in his reasoning for me to toss my perfectly good working oversized original Bruce.. the one that I had anchored with A LOT in the almost 10 previous years.. without fail.

He was almost as convincing as a Priest would be talking to a hooker about the wicked ways of her profession and the reasons to follow the straight and narrow path.

He quickly found out he had decided to preach to the wrong seemingly unenlightened mariner on the wrong day.

The key to ANY anchor is to know what it can and cannot do.. learn to set it right.. and to do it often.

As a side note.. I currently have a again oversized Delta that I really like and I have absolutely no plans to swap it out for the latest whatever anchor.
HOLLYWOOD

Contrary to some responses I am not adverse to new technology. OTOH I am not about to buy the latest anchor du jour either.

It seems odd to complain about too much new technology in anchoring in a high-tech forum that didn't exist more than a handful of years ago. It's like saying that you don't need to post your thoughts here because you could have just used CompuServe's BBS instead at 2400 baud - it was just as good.

Anchor technology has leaped in the last 10 years. If you don't want to make the leap, that's fine. I just hope you anchor behind me than in front of me...

Jeffrey,
Why do you say this forum is high tech??
What on earth is high tech about it?

Lots of Bruce and CQR anchors on the dock where I am. They must be working well for them.

In any endeavor, the quality of the tool (or gun, club, car, sail, camera, etc...) is usually secondary to the persons ability to use it.

Marketing claims about anchoring technology surely have leaped in the last ten years. Holding ability in the wide variety of conditions OTOH I'm not so sure of.

HOLLYWOOD,
A Delta? Really?
With all the better anchors availible why not join the modern world ....

Yup I've heard it too. Lots of people think you've got fuzzy stuff in your armpits if you don't get or do the new cool things.

When you ask the question "who's the smartest" the answer is elusive but the past is proven. Except for the cost of gas and the smaller parking spaces 1960ish cars work just fine today. But I like my full sized sedan w over 30mpg and remember the little buzz boxes of the past.

Yup,
This is the side of anchoring that's been washed over on this forum buy the "new generation" anchor guys. Very significantly by Marin Faure (and perhaps the Rocna guy Smith) but countless others. Never stopped to ask how good is good enough.
Holding power is fine to super fine now. Anchor choices should be based on setting, veering, all bottom capability, user friendliness and other things .... IMO.

A few months ago I replaced my still beloved Bruce with a Vulcan. So far the "staying stuck in one spot" plotter data comparos I have done show the Vulcan wins hand down. But in fairness, I went up 10 KG in weight.

I agree with Jeff, more people sharing anchoring findings with others complete with BS calls along the way should make for a better informed boating populace. However, not all need an anchor that holds on "short" scope in dark deep and windy out of the way places.

When did anchoring become so complicated

As some have said, anchoring becomes more complicated as your investment increases and the size of your vessel gets larger. I will also add as your cruising horizons get larger and the anchoring circumstances change with many different bottoms and depths you may find that you need to change your anchor or anchoring habits. However, you may also find that your old anchor is fine or, conversely, that you need to invest in something different. Knowledge and experience is the key. I have anchored from Maine to Florida and in many Caribbean islands and you learn to adapt to each situation using your prior experience to guide you. The more you anchor the better you get at it.

I have found that in a crowded anchorage when one boat uses excessive scope and then the wind or current changes it messes up the entire anchorage. While, for the normal conditions (not storm or gale force) you need to have a safe amount of scope, an amount over 5 to 1 generally makes a mess during the middle of the wind or current change that can upset the entire anchorage. Often, when entering an anchorage and most boats are using all chain and the chain is hanging straight down, you are forced to assume that the nearest boats to where you intend to drop your hook are set at a normal scope and then you plan accordingly. When it turns out a particular boat has anchored using excessive scope then a problem can occur. My practice has been to ask the boats around me where their anchor was located, but sometimes the owner is away and that's not possible or the problem can originate from a boat anchored a long way off from your boat.

For the most part, anchoring is a pleasant part of cruising and the problems are few and far between. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Lots of Bruce and CQR anchors on the dock where I am. They must be working well for them.

In any endeavor, the quality of the tool (or gun, club, car, sail, camera, etc...) is usually secondary to the persons ability to use it.

Exacto Rama!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom