Snacks For Evening Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. k. Alright. I now have some idea of what you may consider different. You do not seem adverse to actually making something as opposed to opening bags and boxes, so...

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with olive tapinade. (halve tomatoes, scoop out insides fill with tapinade)
Asparagus spear and sharp cheese wrapped in prosciutto. (blanch asp' first)
My old standbys of taboulli and homus. (each take about 15 minutes to make) served with pita bread.
Smoked salmon and dill wrapped in soft tortillas (spread cream cheese on tortilla before rolling and cutting into slices).
Roasted Cauliflower Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com Can be served at room temperature but NOT refrigerator cold.
Saganaki (If you flambee this with Ouzo, after frying, keep a fire extinguisher VERY handy or do it on the dock-must be served hot)

More?

Last edited:
Why RT

Au contraire mon frere, country bumpkin my keister. Anyone that prepares snacks like that probably puts skivvies on lamb chops.

Slice raw sweet potatoes into 1/4" slices. Place them in a toaster and toast until done. Top with anything you like such as butter and brown sugar, or banana slices, avacado slices. Use your imagination.

Melt one pound of Velveeta, stirring in three cans of drained Ro-tel. Serve with tortilla chips, jalapeño slices, chunks of fajita meat and chunks of chicken for dipping.

Fondue a la Tex Mex. Our guests always seem to fight over the last scoop.

We always keep a Zezty, Full Displacment and Thrifty treat on hand for impromptu guests on harbor cruises! We don't get many guests though.:confused:

Attachments

• spam on deck.jpg
    spam on deck.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. CP. Nope, I like my chops nude. Putting "skivvies" on chops would be a bit too ostentatious, don't you think.

Regarding my choices for snacks. Each dish is very simple, takes about 10 to 20 minutes (each) to prepare, can be eaten in one mouthful (VERY important for socializing while "grazing"), is a bit out of the ordinary, NOT open the bag and serve AND is not terribly expensive.

Being based in Louisiana it would be very appropriate to serve gulf seafood but I suspected that may have been the "same stuff" Mr. k alluded to. When we are located away from ready access to fresh (same day) seafood, shrimp and crab are quite a treat but when readily available, it becomes less so.

I would have suggested pho, but hard to manage even in a cup. Haven't made this one but sounds quite good. I suspect shrimp can readily be substituted for the chicken. Pho Ginger and Lime Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Just a comment on post #28. I didn't think anyone liked sardines and peanut butter except my daughter and me. Well done.

Last edited:
..Just a comment on post #28. I didn't think anyone liked sardines and peanut butter except my daughter and me. Well done.
As teenagers we used to visit the local fish and chip/milk bar shop. A friend would often order a sardine milkshake, she never got one, the proprietor would not oblige. What a treat for anyone onboard feeling a little queasy!

RT you are right seafood is the common, looking for something different.

Well I'll keep the thread alive. Since nobody liked my fondue idea, so I'll try something else... ;)

Pan fry chicken breasts (I did 3 pounds) in olive oil and garlic cloves, with salt, pepper, & dill. Don't over-spice, you want the chicken to be fairly bland.

Remove from the pan and rough chop. While still hot, scoop over the chicken one jar of apricot preserves, and top it all with one package of goat cheese.

Serve with broiled red and gold potatoes, steamed broccoli, asian pear (DO NOT SKIP THE PEAR!!!) and a Riesling. I truly enjoy cooking for people, and this dish has been a favorite.

10422538_10153135360209801_7091789250097058736_n.jpg

Giving this a bump as part of a purely selfish attempt to keep this thread alive here is my belated endorsement. Matt we have had this twice now as a dinner entree, once with peach preserves. Home run!

PS he's right folks, don't skip the pear as I did the first time by accident. It really brings the dish to life.

Giving this a bump as part of a purely selfish attempt to keep this thread alive here is my belated endorsement. Matt we have had this twice now as a dinner entree, once with peach preserves. Home run!

PS he's right folks, don't skip the pear as I did the first time by accident. It really brings the dish to life.

WHOOOHOOO! Glad you like it, it's become a favorite of ours too. Peach preserves sounds like a great variation. :thumb:

When you find out the fried chicken is to snack on tomorrow, you start to wonder what the meals are.

Them hors d'oeuvres

How about them hors d'oeuvres
ain't they sweet?
A little piece of cheese,
and a little piece of meat.

Mason Williams, "Them Poems"

Last edited:
Mason Williams poetry! I thought I was the only one who knew he wrote poetry! Now I've got to try to find the book.

Mason Williams poetry! I thought I was the only one who knew he wrote poetry! Now I've got to try to find the book.

Parks, I have the original 78 rpm album that Mason recorded in some club. You have fine taste. The album contains such favorites as Them Toad Suckers, Them Tummy Gummers, Them dog kickers and other outstanding pieces of literature. Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention Them Hog Liver Likers? Yessir, class all the way.

The problem is that my turn table is stored away. I prize that album.

Try a google search.

How to be a toad sucker?
No way to duck it.
Got yourself a toad.
Rear back and suck it .

That should get us back on the proper thread track.

Well I must say u all have some pretty fancy eats that is for sure. I am more of a cheese, pepperoni and crackers kind of guy. But I also do not have a refrigerator onboard and work out of a cooler so...

Well I must say u all have some pretty fancy eats that is for sure. I am more of a cheese, pepperoni and crackers kind of guy. But I also do not have a refrigerator onboard and work out of a cooler so...

Wifey B: Fancier than we normally eat too. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom