First time to use new Gopro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steveg353

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Below is a link to a youtube video that I posted last night.
Last saturday 6/18 was the first time I have used it and I got some interesting video first time out.
I was lucky but others were not.
This was on Galveston Bay coming into Seabrook Marina late saturday afternoon.

https://youtu.be/E2am_FNkJpA

Tad unnerving I bet as you kept motoring towards the belly of the beast not knowing if it would hold up long enough to tie up!

Wow, how long did the storm last?

The best thing about Texas is the weather. If you don't like it now give it an hour or so and it's bound to cycle through to something you do like. Cool video and nice looking boat :thumb:: thumb:

Nice video....a go pro may be in my future when I see nice stuff like that.

We had a bad one come through Cape May yesterday...had tornado warnings although they rarely developed near the coast when the ocean temps are still this low...below 70 plus.

A few places reported gusts into the 80s, many more in the 60s. Rarely do we get them like the one in the video....thankfull...I guess our good news is that they are usually frontal storms and the sou'wester preceeding them drives most people off the water earlier with gusty 15 to 25 knot winds.

Last edited:
There is nothing quite like being secured to a dock when it turns snotty. In fact it is almost fun. You must live right!

Wow!!
It reminded me of a saying I heard recently - "It is better to be on land wishing you were at sea than to be at sea wishing you were on land."
;)

Did all your canvas survive unharmed? It seemed to be taking it all well.

Nice job with the GoPro. I got one but have not used it yet. I need to take it out and play with it. The GoPro.

The calm before the storm. Nice vid.

Have you tried Go pro studio to edit your videos?

great video ! the storm sure blew up quickly

The go pro is a great camera, you will love the editing software it comes with once you play around with it a while.

Good you got in when you did, hellova blow! Nice boat handling too.
Here is my first GoPro vid. Its a lot of work editing, but I like the result. Its set to music so turn it up!

Last edited:
Not only was your timing great, you did not even have to wash the boat. Nice vid and nice boat docking.

I tried to edit my post above. I probably should have posted my vid elsewhere, apologies to the OP, didn't mean to jack your thread. If anyone wants to see mine, clik the link, thanks.

Good you got in when you did, hellova blow! Nice boat handling too.
Here is my first GoPro vid. Its a lot of work editing, but I like the result. Its set to music so turn it up!

Nice 'little' tug. She seems to handle well. At first I thought the camera angle made few it look like a toy...

You got lucky. If that would have hit whilst motoring in the marina you would have spent some time white knuckling trying not to hit anything. Did you have a radar picture? Many have lost the game of "trying to beat the storm to the airport"......

As I was heading west back home, the first storm you see is moving south, away from my destination. As I neared my marina, the storm north of me turned from a regular looking southtexas thunderstorm into a wall cloud in about 15 min. I have never seen anything like it in south Texas near the coast. That was a north Texas or Oklahoma storm that got lost.
The really big wind lasted about 5/7 min so I do not think it was a micro or down burst.

Anyone notice the chairs that were sucked out of the mid-deck on the first big blow.
They were retrieved later.
Top wind clocked at 78mph
My boat was fine and we bent the mid-deck bimini back into shape.
There was alot of light damage around (trees and bimini tops) but the worst thing was someone lost a finger fending off a dock in the channel outside our marina.

I had no idea it was going to blow like that. I should have been prepping the boat for a blow instead of shooting video but you can get stupid with a camera in your hand. I think if I were sucked off the top of my boat by a tornado, I would have kept shooting and hoping that someone found my camera. Lesson learned, take care of the boat first and video second.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom