Star0210
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Star,
Please keep us informed of your progress. As you can see, Cheri and I now have the entire decks scraped. It took a week of evenings to do. We found that the warmer the weather, the easier the scraping is with the heat gun. Also, "there is no economy in buying cheap paint". I am curious to find what you use for paint. Epoxy paint (two part/w catalyst) will be a harder finish and arguably last longer, but more difficult to apply. But, given the amount of work the job entails in the first place, we don't want to ever do it again. Have a safe weekend. - sam
It would be so much easier if I had large areas to work with. The majority of the decks all over the whole boat are molded non skid which has very little non skidding capability left..those areas we're going to do with some sort of non skid. The parts I'm working to remove paint from are all of the smooth surfaces which isn't all that much....basically all the borders of the molded non skid. These small areas are harder and more time consuming.

Hubby removed the back railings from the upper extended deck/cockpit cover where there was water intrusion and has been filling it with epoxy. Yeah we know the proper way would have been to cut into it and dig the rot out but we didn't want to do that. I would have just had a new hard cover made before doing all of that. If this method works for a few years we'll be happy.

Also, the swim step is in pretty bad shape and we've decided we're just going to replace it when we have it hauled out.

Anyway, we're still having fun and still loving our big money pit...lol
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote