Snacks For Evening Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something that ALWAYS gets eaten is grill jalapeno sausage. Just light the grill. Throw a sausage link on. Over cook it....as in put a little crispy ash on it. And serve cut up into little medallions with regular yellow mustard. There is never any left over!!! Holmes or Chappel Hill are the local favorites. Prasek's too.

Also, Popeye's Fried Chicken!!!

If we are in the wine drinking mood....I will grill a filet....medium rare....cut it into think slices and serve it with Horseradish sauce...along with the crackers and cheese everyone mentioned.

Something that ALWAYS gets eaten is grill jalapeno sausage. Just light the grill. Throw a sausage link on. Over cook it....as in put a little crispy ash on it. And serve cut up into little medallions with regular yellow mustard. There is never any left over!!! Holmes or Chappel Hill are the local favorites. Prasek's too.

This shows how regional the answers to this are. Jalapeno sausage is always eaten in your region. Our guests would have no interest. We've never been exposed to Cowboy Caviar but sounds almost as bad to picky me as regular caviar does. Now we do have a couple of friends who love caviar, just not us.

This shows how regional the answers to this are. Jalapeno sausage is always eaten in your region. Our guests would have no interest. We've never been exposed to Cowboy Caviar but sounds almost as bad to picky me as regular caviar does. Now we do have a couple of friends who love caviar, just not us.

Your guests have no taste!!!!....:rofl: ;) :) :hide:

Maybe if I gave it a fancy French name and put it in fine china and presented it in a fancy way they would like it???

Your guests have no taste!!!!....:rofl: ;) :) :hide:

Wifey B: Omg....resist...resist...resist....you can only imagine the reply I have to that. :rofl:

What was that commercial that dealt with good taste and tastes good....

Maybe if I gave it a fancy French name and put it in fine china and presented it in a fancy way they would like it???

I left the first part to my wife. As to this, some would, some wouldn't. Our guests are all types. However, we definitely do not do five star white linen hotel on the boat. We do lots of grilling. Now among our friends we do have some gourmet chef types, but we get a bit of everything from southern down home cooking to Spanish (and I mean from Spain). Just no Tex Mex and no one into Jalapeno's or hot sauces. I worked with one former Texan who carried a bottle of hot Picante sauce with him most of the time and used it at nearly every meal.

I like my food rather simply prepared. I don't use sauce on anything. I would definitely be the blandest eater among us.

I think that recipe of Peggy's sounds great. Very similar to a taco soup that my wife makes. I can't wait to try it!

My all time favourite snack is king prawns stuffed with a dab of blue cheese, wrapped in prociutto, and grilled on the barbie or a minute or two.
Quick and easy, but soooo good!

Tried AusCan's suggestion last night...OMG Delicious!

If we are in the wine drinking mood....I will grill a filet....medium rare....cut it into think slices and serve it with Horseradish sauce...along with the crackers and cheese everyone mentioned.

This, but we do it with Yum Yum sauce for dipping.

Think I'll try it Friday :thumb:

Come on folks, keep them coming. We can't let this thread die with less than 40 posts and rehash anchor stuff for 1,000 posts

Think I'll try it Friday :thumb:

Come on folks, keep them coming. We can't let this thread die with less than 40 posts and rehash anchor stuff for 1,000 posts

How about this: Do folks with planing boats serve different types of food than folks with SD or displacement hull boats???....:rofl: :hide: :whistling:

How about this: Do folks with planing boats serve different types of food than folks with SD or displacement hull boats???....:rofl: :hide: :whistling:

Apparently we do, but not necessarily in the way one would think and, of course, this based on just a sampling of one. We seem to serve the simplest snacks, least fancy. Most others seem to put far more time and effort into their snack preparation than we do. Well, other than you and Popeye's. That's more along our lines.

We're quite impressed with some of the snacks presented in this thread.

Well I'll keep the thread alive. Since nobody liked my fondue idea, so I'll try something else... ;)

Pan fry chicken breasts (I did 3 pounds) in olive oil and garlic cloves, with salt, pepper, & dill. Don't over-spice, you want the chicken to be fairly bland.

Remove from the pan and rough chop. While still hot, scoop over the chicken one jar of apricot preserves, and top it all with one package of goat cheese.

Serve with broiled red and gold potatoes, steamed broccoli, asian pear (DO NOT SKIP THE PEAR!!!) and a Riesling. I truly enjoy cooking for people, and this dish has been a favorite.

10422538_10153135360209801_7091789250097058736_n.jpg

Sounds delicious Matt, but more of dinner than snack item I should think. It is morning time right now and that still looks incredibly appetizing.

I did serve it as a dinner item, and it works great for that. You could also buffet it out and let people grab just a couple of each item.

Should have mentioned that. :)

: thumb:: thumb:

For the record I do your grilled sausage idea but normally use duck sausage or wild boar hot links. Do them up like you do the jalapeño with mustard and tell folks after the fact what their eating. Haven't heard a complaint yet and folks have thanked me for not telling them first as they'd have likely passed and missed out.

Grilling or pan frying bacon wrapped dove breasts are another that folks love. Pan fry them similar to Matts chicken dish above(that I'm trying tonight as a dinner item) and warn folks new to that dish to watch out for shotgun pellets.

Some that I have served....

Stuff grape leafs (meat/rice mixture) Make at home then freeze them 20 count per freezer bag. Heat in microwave when needed.

Humus with veggy sticks.

Caprisi on tooth picks....cherry tomato, slice of mozzarella cheese then a basil leaf..repeat one more time. Salt and pepper then drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them.

Shrimp with remoulade. Boil peeled shrimp and set to cool in refrig. Make a simple remoulade with Helmanns mayo, creole mustard, coupla dashes of worshchestershire sauce and black pepper. All can be prepared ahead of time

Last edited:
I did serve it as a dinner item, and it works great for that. You could also buffet it out and let people grab just a couple of each item.

Should have mentioned that. :)

Like Craig, I think I may have try that for dinner tonight. Looks great. I'll see if I have the time to stop by the store on the way home from my remote office today.

Well I'll keep the thread alive. Since nobody liked my fondue idea, so I'll try something else... ;)

Pan fry chicken breasts (I did 3 pounds) in olive oil and garlic cloves, with salt, pepper, & dill. Don't over-spice, you want the chicken to be fairly bland.

Remove from the pan and rough chop. While still hot, scoop over the chicken one jar of apricot preserves, and top it all with one package of goat cheese.

Serve with broiled red and gold potatoes, steamed broccoli, asian pear (DO NOT SKIP THE PEAR!!!) and a Riesling. I truly enjoy cooking for people, and this dish has been a favorite.

]

Wifey B: Don't want to ignore the Fondue. Cool idea if not moving. Could do a snack or dessert fondue.

On this gourmet meal. Excuse me, snack. I have to go all the way to Asia to get a pear and you're so adamant about it? Oh my. Well, guess we're really lousy as we just grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and some chicken wings for lunch out on the water as we had to get the heck out of the city on the lake celebrating like never before. Everyone on Cleveland is at the parade I think. We've watched it a little. If you haven't looked at it, you should. Looks like Times Square on New Years Eve. All seems to be going well.

Ok, now we've got some snacks out. Fudge brownies, marble cheesecake, chocolate tortes. :hide:

If you have SamsClub near... The Admiral gets Michaels chicken piccata...frozen dinner..and just cuts the pieces smaller for snack size...gets rave reviews....easy peazy. Great to keep on hand

Originally Posted by Baker View Post
How about this: Do folks with planing boats serve different types of food than folks with SD or displacement hull boats???....

Slow boat means more time to think about options and to prepare while underway . . . :D

Originally Posted by Baker View Post
How about this: Do folks with planing boats serve different types of food than folks with SD or displacement hull boats???....

Slow boat means more time to think about options and to prepare while underway . . . :D

But less time to get to a market to get the ingredients once you get there...

Assuming people had already eaten dinner, I'd suggest your favorite, simple desserts. Perhaps start with brownies or cookies. Haven't gone down the dessert aisle for a while, so I've few specific suggestions. If you've a capable freezer (I don't), it's hard to go wrong with ice cream.

But less time to get to a market to get the ingredients once you get there...

Wifey B: True. We made it to Kroger after arrival today and have fresh fruits and melons and berries and veggies. Plus some baked goods for dessert. And shrimp. And more. :)

Greetings,
Well, I still don't know what Mr. k considers the "same old stuff" as I asked in post #4. Is it a few bags of chips and some dip? Raw veggies and onion soup mix in sour cream? Beanie Weenies?

Granted, some of the "snacks" sound very good but what is the time frame that Mr. k is looking for? Quick and dirty, as I mentioned above or is he willing to put some time into preparation? Pre-prepared or cooking/assembly under way?

I have numerous suggestions but hesitate to contribute without knowing the "design parameters"...

feed-me.gif

Contribute away RT. We may be able to use your suggestions, or they may spark ideas even if they don't fit the original RFP.

RT you hit it on the head SAME STUFF but you forgot the cheese tray!! LOL Also Jambalaya ,Boiled Shrimp, Gumbo fits into the category of SAME STUFF.

Thanks for the new and different ideas!!

These are a couple of SD entrees that I love! I won't go in to what everything is but rather i just wanted to show the TF folks that we SD skippers eat pretty well!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 56
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 60
Man, after reading this thread, I want to invite moat of you guys over for an evening cruise, along with Peggy (even though both my heads work, knock on porcelain!).

Walt, that's definitely not a snack.

Our idea of a meal but not an after-dinner snack:

Last edited:
Instead of the tortillas with the CC, try endive leaves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom