Navionics charts new port to port routing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
The Navionics charts now have port to port routing which is selectable with Raymarine Lighthouse version 17. Has anyone used these yet? Is it worth switching to Navionics charts?

I loaded the Lighthouse upgrade this weekend - can't use the autorouting, etc until I register (PAY?) at Navionics.

On the positive side, I have used Navionics and autorouting on my Ipad and it works really well.

Once I get it running on the E-series, it will save a bit of time creating routes.

The Navionics charts now have port to port routing which is selectable with Raymarine Lighthouse version 17. Has anyone used these yet? Is it worth switching to Navionics charts?
A relative had it on his ipad. I entered a 35 mile trip from my dock to the storage yard. It was mostly correct except where the route wound through a typical SWFL canal community where it drew the path across dead end canals. Looked pretty good but only with a critical eye.

We have been using it for this trip, now on day 76, and it is now our primary chart plotter. With an IPad and a conversion cord it is hooked to the 19inch monitor. Sit back and let it do its thing. Awesome software!

Looked pretty good but only with a critical eye.

And that is the key. Even with "auto routing" you need to qualify any route it produces to make sure you agree with it. That is still a nav aid, you are still the navigator.

Marty....................

Can't comment on the auto-routing with the Navionics charts on Raymarine, but I've used that feature of the app and it's been awesome so far. I find it's really useful when I'm planning an trip to somewhere I'm not too familiar with -- gives warnings when the route goes through shallower waters and generally follows marked channels. Just make sure you set your draft properly or you'll get some errors (i.e. no routes found or through really shallow areas).

Has anyone used these yet? Is it worth switching to Navionics charts?
I tried it out the other day. I was in my slip at Sunroad Marina and I put the starting way point at my slip and the finish way point at Catalina Island. It created a course line from the slip up the bay, through the channel, turned right (through all the kelp) and beelined for Catalina. I then manually moved the way points than ran through the kelp, farther west before turning on a direct course to Catalina. I thought it was neat! I then zoomed in close to follow the course line looking for shallow water and rocks. It works in Lighthouse charts as well! :blush:

I have been using it here in Australia, on my Raymarine e125s. I reckon it's great. Two comments. First, Marty is right, you need to check the route it chooses. Secondly - and this slightly a comment about me - it chooses routes which are more "ambitious" than I would sometimes choose. So if offshore I might go around a small island offshore just for caution, whereas 'dock to dock' will take me between the island and the mainland (over sufficient depths and so all fine, just not as cautious as I would be). I recommend it, I have found it good. Hamish.

How do you do this on iPad?

A relative had it on his ipad. I entered a 35 mile trip from my dock to the storage yard. It was mostly correct except where the route wound through a typical SWFL canal community where it drew the path across dead end canals. Looked pretty good but only with a critical eye.

Where do I find this on Garmin blue charts on my iPad?

Thanks
Gordon

This is another example of the progression of marine electronics and of moderately priced systems picking up features of more expensive systems in commercial use. We've used those functions on Transas systems for some time and the first time we used it our thoughts were why don't all systems have them. Well, we knew the answer was price, but great to see other systems with the functions. Reminds me of GPS in your cars. At first it was luxury cars and/or very expensive systems to be purchased. Many had an ongoing monthly charge. Then I think it was something like $10 a month on your phone. Then it was free with premium options at extra cost. Then free. Ultimately the cost is the information being fed into the system. On the road it's now things like traffic and detours and changes. In the water it's changes in channels and obstructions. Just not the volume of users on the water so the fact it's available so reasonably amazes me still.

TF should be a source of safety as well as presumed electronic enlightenment. Don't forget the impact of common sense and experience. Things like tides, currents, wind, waves, visuals (logs), AIS and radar targets, kayak traffic and visibility dictate route planning.

Just because a gizmo can draw lines doesn't mean a safe course has been entered. Dhays avatar of a high and dry vessel is a good reminder of consequences. Or how about the US navy ship that recently steamed through a coral reef park due to misreading computerized scaled charts. Charting related mishaps abound for the big guys and small fry alike.

Now, my favorites are the satellite images that become placemats. With a set of dividers I can plan my routes while eating a pastry. Voila, no crumbs or jelly on the screen or keyboard. Much easier cleanup than my iPad, just rinse it off.

TF should be a source of safety as well as presumed electronic enlightenment. Don't forget the impact of common sense and experience. Things like tides, currents, wind, waves, visuals (logs), AIS and radar targets, kayak traffic and visibility dictate route planning.

Just because a gizmo can draw lines doesn't mean a safe course has been entered. Dhays avatar of a high and dry vessel is a good reminder of consequences. Or how about the US navy ship that recently steamed through a coral reef park due to misreading computerized scaled charts. Charting related mishaps abound for the big guys and small fry alike.

Now, my favorites are the satellite images that become placemats. With a set of dividers I can plan my routes while eating a pastry. Voila, no crumbs or jelly on the screen or keyboard. Much easier cleanup than my iPad, just rinse it off.

Technology isn't contrary to safety. In fact, it provides more time to concern oneself with safety. Let a system give you a route and then you consider all the other issues as opposed to spending your time doing the basic routing. They are tools to assist you. Safety and technology are not exclusive of each other. "Presumed electronic enlightenment?" What kind of comment is that. It's not enlightenment, it's a tool to assist you. One I'm sure you've never used but immediately object to because it's something new and electronic. Do you object equally to autopilots? I'm sure to electronic charts even those that are direct copies of paper.

Oh and the systems like Transas can work with currents and tides. The other things you mention are not part of route planning. I can't plan based on kayak traffic that might be there tomorrow. I plan and then I observe and make corrections based on the kayak that's on my route.

People have misread charts on paper since the beginning of time. People screw up, but then wouldn't that be an argument for making it all computer controlled and robotic? To my way of thinking the combination of technology and individual skills is the best approach. I'm not suggesting eliminating the people, but I sure embrace the tools available for their use.

I just don't like the implication that somehow computerized route planning is in conflict with safety and promoting it is unsafe.

The difference in viewpoints is tied to the verbage used I think..

Computerized route PLANNING is just that. Not a lot of difference than planning on a chart, then tweaking it for all sorts of reasons that come up as you look at it more closely or last minute changes such as weather or firing ranges going live.

I don't think it was ever meant to be just hit the plan button then hit the autopilot track button......not without a careful review/look ahead any more than following a bunch of way points your best friend gave you.

I just don't like the implication that somehow computerized route planning is in conflict with safety and promoting it is unsafe.

Jumping to conclusions again eh BB? And of course, you can have the last paragraph.

I don't think it was ever meant to be just hit the plan button then hit the autopilot track button......not without a careful review/look ahead any more than following a bunch of way points your best friend gave you.

Charting experts like Ben Ellison and Peter Swanson have been talking for many years about hard wired chart plotting routes and how they have led to vessels making the same point turns and having close calls or collisions with others doing the same.

Like avoiding logs and other collision potential events, locking the AP onto an armada fleet pre-planned route has its hazards - easily mitigated by an astute skipper.

One of the many feeble defenses the union supported BC ferry helmsman offered up as to why his vessel struck a rock just south of Grenville channel was the ship was locked onto the route laid out by BC management in the head office. The vessel went down in about 300 feet of water and the dramatic rescue of passengers and crew a recent story of heroism.

Certain personality types are the bane of too much guidance or too little guidance.....:eek:

But we see that right here in these threads too.....:D

Do have to say that lining up a marker that is beyond your seeing ability is nice with Navionics. It updates several times a week for me and I don't have to purchase additional updates on the iPad version. I think I recall Navionics being under fifty bucks. Coupled with a handheld receiver, it is accurate to within a few feet.

Just completed a 3 week trip to the Abacos aboard a friends boat and used the auto routing feature on my Samsung Tablet. As others have said you must check the routes but I found it to be very helpful, especially when entering harbours that the nav aids were missing from.
We visited Schooner Bay on Great Abaco and it would have been difficult without the Navionics charts.

I tried it out the other day. I was in my slip at Sunroad Marina and I put the starting way point at my slip and the finish way point at Catalina Island. It created a course line from the slip up the bay, through the channel, turned right (through all the kelp) and beelined for Catalina. I then manually moved the way points than ran through the kelp, farther west before turning on a direct course to Catalina. I thought it was neat! I then zoomed in close to follow the course line looking for shallow water and rocks. It works in Lighthouse charts as well! :blush:

I used it last year when it was first made available on IPAD and it came up with the same course and wanted me turn right through the kelp. I also adjusted that one area, and the rest of the course was fine. Overall, a good tool but use with caution.

And while we are on the subject...anyone have any idea as to why the depths shown on the Navionics app are so far off from the actual depths?? And yes, its set to feet.

I have found the Nav depths to be accurate at least in my area. Often verified by personally going in the water. I don’t use the shared data function, the chart gets too busy, for whatever that is worth.

We use AR as a general base line in lieu of multiple waypoint placement.

Once complete I go back an adjust the AR as needed.

Saves time on longer route planning

It takes me about 30 seconds to manually and quickly lay down a route on Coastal Explorer. While I’m doing it I think about the possible hazards and current issues along the way and modify it accordingly. And I’m using Canadian Hyrdographic or NOAA charts, of which I am familiar, toggling back and forth between the Raster and ENCs.

I noticed that renewal prices for Navionics have gone up substantially since I first loaded it on my iPad. I found some serious transcription errors on the Navionics charts (a reef off Mayne Island, Georgia Strait) several years ago and just haven’t trusted them since that time.

Jim

I have found the Nav depths to be accurate at least in my area. ..........I don’t use the shared data function, the chart gets too busy, for whatever that is worth.
:iagree::blush:

“I found some serious transcription errors on the Navionics charts (a reef off Mayne Island, Georgia Strait) several years ago and just haven’t trusted them since that time.”

2 Thumbs Up On That!! I love the ease and simplicity of vector charts but I don’t go anywhere unfamiliar without NOAA paper or at least Nobletec (NOAA) Raster Charts on my IPad. I like the “Big Picture”

Crusty:
Which conversion cord do you use between your iPad and the 19” display?

It takes me about 30 seconds to manually and quickly lay down a route on Coastal Explorer. While I’m doing it I think about the possible hazards and current issues along the way and modify it accordingly. And I’m using Canadian Hyrdographic or NOAA charts, of which I am familiar, toggling back and forth between the Raster and ENCs.

I noticed that renewal prices for Navionics have gone up substantially since I first loaded it on my iPad. I found some serious transcription errors on the Navionics charts (a reef off Mayne Island, Georgia Strait) several years ago and just haven’t trusted them since that time.

Jim

Please, please, for all of us that are out there boating with you, if you see a discrepancy on the chart update the chart where it's wrong using Community Edits so that others of us get that corrected data on our charts too. Here's some more info on Community Edits: https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/community-edits

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom