Repower Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"if you repowerded your boat , must you change your gearbox too or a adaptation is possible ?"

IF the HP and RPM of the new engine are similar to the old one , and the tranny is in excellent condition , a change is not required.

Most engines will fit up to a standard SAE bellhousing.

They come in sizes 1 (big HP ) to 5 , lawn implement size.

The marine tranny folks use the SAE standards so fitting an engine to your old tranny should be possible.

I would contemplate upgrading to a better tranny like a Twin Disc , which can be had used rebuilt for modest bucks.

Last edited:
Different engines different engine mounts .Sometimes its near impossible to retrofit a different make of engine without a lot of work fabricating adapter mounts. Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know

Different engines different engine mounts .Sometimes its near impossible to retrofit a different make of engine without a lot of work fabricating adapter mounts. Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know

Well put!

"Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know"

Until the parts source is ALL GONE , and you are having pistons cast.

Rebuilding engine beds is a simple task. Frankly fitting a new exhaust system is more of a pain because of the often difficult access to parts of it. When I repowered, the first thing I did was to completely remove the old engine beds and then build completely new beds and a new pan for under the engine. It wasn't a big deal.

Certainly depends on the old installation and the proposed one....say going from a six to a four cylinder or vice versa and the mounts are cut into stringers.

Time for an update. After updating and upgrading several things on the NOS Cummins NA B6M, it was time to re-power the boat. I brought the boat through the California Delta to Ladd’s Marina in Stockton. This yard allows DIY guys to perform most work on their own boats and they will assist as needed. Stockton is also as close as I could bring the boat to my home and shop, about 60 miles away.

Once on the hard, I had Ladd’s install a bow thruster and do the bottom paint while I concentrated on the engine room. We had to remove a long section of handrail to allow the engines to go through the cabin door and over the cap rail. We then had to cut out most of the main cabin floor to get the old engine and genset out and the new or updated stuff in. Because the door opening is only 19 ¼” wide, I had to disassemble the engines basically down to “long blocks” to get them through. I removed and updated just about everything from the engine room before reassembling. Painted all of the bilge areas beneath the ER floor, new hoses and rerouted or relocated many things to make better since. I’ll repaint the ER floor and walls after the boat has run for awhile and am comfortable that I won’t need to do major work that would ruin it.

I have reinstalled the floor section over the propulsion engine and electric come-home motor. After putting the finishing touches to the genset and forward bulkhead, I’ll reinstall the floor section over that area and take her for spin.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 56
  • photo 4 (2).jpg
    photo 4 (2).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 46
Looks great, Bob. The pictures don't do it justice. Your attention to detail is obvious upon entering the ER.

Let me know when you're up and running. I'm heading your way before the 4th and will anchor and hang in the area for about a week. The first IPA's on me!

"Let me know when you're up and running. I'm heading your way before the 4th and will anchor and hang in the area for about a week. The first IPA's on me!"

Thanks Al. It's probably going to be a couple more weeks before the test cruise. I still have to tie up a few loss ends in the ER, wire the bow thruster, reattach the handrail and wash two months of Stockton crud off it. If it's not operational, I can still run out there with the Alumaweld for the IPA :Thanx:

Sweet !! :thumb:

I'd kill for a pair of those Cummins NA's. :pirate:

Is that VD tranny a 71 or 72 series?

It's a C-72, 2.57:1. The boat came with a C-71. So I pushed the propshaft back an inch for the extra transmission length.

I got lucky. The day I decided to start looking for a rebuildable Cummins NA B6M, this NOS one with gear and everything got posted on eBay. Doubt I'll ever get that lucky again.

Hi everybody

Did you now where i can find somthing to compare power and torque beetwen cummins and ford lehman.
Personnaly , I think Lehman are better but may be holder than cummins but rebuild it's starting for a long years so.....
Lehman for the low consumption with a low rpm but when you have a wrong waves , cummins give more power so I'm not decided...

Thank's for your help

Stéphane

Hi everybody

Did you now where i can find somthing to compare power and torque beetwen cummins and ford lehman.
Personnaly , I think Lehman are better but may be holder than cummins but rebuild it's starting for a long years so.....
Lehman for the low consumption with a low rpm but when you have a wrong waves , cummins give more power so I'm not decided...

Thank's for your help

Stéphane

boatdiesel.com should have torque and horsepower graphs for both engines in their library.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom