Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Plink? Refer to post #2596...That's the sound of the penny dropping.

giphy.gif

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+penny+drops

Today I finished off the Starboard side superstructure and began to move fwd and doing the walkway, the toe rail and the fwd cabin side. I skim coated the window surround also. I have filleted and fitted some fairing guides on the flare to give me something to "screed" the epoxy off to to help the flare take shape. Once the epoxy has dried I'll unscrew and remove the plastic covered timber strips leaving an epoxy guide to work with. Bloody great idea I reckon lol

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073339.258249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073351.524602.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073365.575494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073380.896065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073392.913513.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073405.051285.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073415.584023.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466073425.618293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Update from Friday:-
Today I did some more filleting and sanding. The guides I fitted yesterday were moved and applied again to reduces the gaps.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321013.271229.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321032.905683.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321045.947862.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321059.207438.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321074.927949.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321087.296244.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321103.130503.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321115.265494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321133.495160.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321144.504328.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466321167.823395.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. H. IF you're going to fill the spaces between those strips with fairing compound you're adding even more weight above the waterline mate. I'm getting very concerned about stability, both for Solstice AND myself (another topic...). Do you have space for adding ballast in the bilges for what I'm feeling more and more may have to be a LOT of ballast.

While she's looking absolutely marvelous, given the amount of ballast you may have to add will put her low in the water and a real pig to move...

Greetings,
Mr. H. IF you're going to fill the spaces between those strips with fairing compound you're adding even more weight above the waterline mate. I'm getting very concerned about stability, both for Solstice AND myself (another topic...). Do you have space for adding ballast in the bilges for what I'm feeling more and more may have to be a LOT of ballast.

While she's looking absolutely marvelous, given the amount of ballast you may have to add will put her low in the water and a real pig to move...

Hi RTF
Yep I will be skim coating the area with thickened epoxy.

Cheers mate.

Matt,
Buicks are still available but don't know for how much. Probably priced competitively. I test drove a "Verano" a few months ago. Amazingly smooth but Buicks have been known for that since the 30's. The ride was smooth too .. relative to todays standards. But the most noticeable feature was how quiet it was. Have'nt ridden in a quiet car for a long time. I was heavy into Buicks as a young man especially the straight eights.

I do like your Holden. It reminds me of the Chevrolet Nova 4cyl 4dr (they also had 6cyl engines). Most or all of the American cars in the past had a low end basic model w small "hub caps", minimal trim, plain uppostery, roll-up windows and no extra frills. They had an honest look about them while the vast majority of cars look more like a cheap imitation of a luxury car. And the mechanical components of the luxo models were the same as the base models. Many had bigger engines but built of the same quality parts. So in the US there was only one level of quality in cars. How big of an engine and how much flashy trimming was the choice of the day.

But the Buicks were known to be good quality but lacking the close to vulgar pretentiousness of it's stable mate ... Cadillac. So Buicks were bought by mostly conservative people. Is that so w the Holden?

Matt my mate - Your energy, drive, creativeness and sheer gumption has been unbelievable... also, these items have paced way beyond my capabilities for a project such as this.

Keep up the good work and best luck in the outcome! - Art :thumb: :D

Think I've struck gold. Well led but it gold to me. A guy on Facebook works with led and always has off cuts and has offered them to me for $1.71kg. I'm stoked. A supplier quoted me rolls at $4.50kg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466424854.338373.jpg

Matt my mate - Your energy, drive, creativeness and sheer gumption has been unbelievable... also, these items have paced way beyond my capabilities for a project such as this.

Keep up the good work and best luck in the outcome! - Art :thumb: :D

Thanks Art. I appreciate your support mate but it sounded like you're leaving???!!!!

Matt,
Buicks are still available but don't know for how much. Probably priced competitively. I test drove a "Verano" a few months ago. Amazingly smooth but Buicks have been known for that since the 30's. The ride was smooth too .. relative to todays standards. But the most noticeable feature was how quiet it was. Have'nt ridden in a quiet car for a long time. I was heavy into Buicks as a young man especially the straight eights.

I do like your Holden. It reminds me of the Chevrolet Nova 4cyl 4dr (they also had 6cyl engines). Most or all of the American cars in the past had a low end basic model w small "hub caps", minimal trim, plain uppostery, roll-up windows and no extra frills. They had an honest look about them while the vast majority of cars look more like a cheap imitation of a luxury car. And the mechanical components of the luxo models were the same as the base models. Many had bigger engines but built of the same quality parts. So in the US there was only one level of quality in cars. How big of an engine and how much flashy trimming was the choice of the day.

But the Buicks were known to be good quality but lacking the close to vulgar pretentiousness of it's stable mate ... Cadillac. So Buicks were bought by mostly conservative people. Is that so w the Holden?

Mate tbh I'm not sure about the specifics you've asked. Personally I'm a 78 model and the cars are 60ish models so I'm not really across indepth specifics :)

Thanks Art. I appreciate your support mate but it sounded like you're leaving???!!!!

Heck no! Just wishing ya good luck for all items in your endeavor. I'd just gotten back from 5 days on boat and was still rocking with the waves. Can't wait to hear of your adventures once SOLSTICE splashes.

Heck no! Just wishing ya good luck for all items in your endeavor. I'd just gotten back from 5 days on boat and was still rocking with the waves. Can't wait to hear of your adventures once SOLSTICE splashes.

Great to hear mate

Think I've struck gold. Well led but it gold to me. A guy on Facebook works with led and always has off cuts and has offered them to me for $1.71kg. I'm stoked. A supplier quoted me rolls at $4.50kg

View attachment 53305

Great find!

I'm not sure I understand the skim coating and the guide strips. Are you filling that area with epoxy?
If so that would concern me because the thick filler may crack as the underlying more flexible wood bends.

I'm not sure I understand the skim coating and the guide strips. Are you filling that area with epoxy?
If so that would concern me because the thick filler may crack as the underlying more flexible wood bends.

Yep sure am. There is absolutely no difference between what I'm doing there on the flare than what I've done with the rest of the build mate. Epoxy glue fillet mixture, faired, glassed, faired and primed.

Those guides are just there to assist in the curvature of the flare is uniformly applied across the area.

Last edited:
Matt wrote;
"Those guides are just there to assist in the curvature of the flare is uniformly applied across the area"

I don't understand and suspect it may be difficult to explain. Those "guides" look fairly involved .. a serious piece of work. "curvature of the flare is uniformly applied" .. to the joint between the upper and lower part of the hull sides? The flare would be an vertical thing .. a vertical curve. But the frames inside the boat should determine that. It alludes me.

Yeah too hard and too late in the day to explain. Suffice to say it's a cosmetic reason not a structural reason I am doing the flare in filler in this area.

Yeah too hard and too late in the day to explain. Suffice to say it's a cosmetic reason not a structural reason I am doing the flare in filler in this area.

A top of cosmetics: Flare also deflects wave edge outward and away from boat in seas. I like boats with heavy bow flare and tapered side flare in their design. Professional Fisher boats usually have good bow flare; those are the baby's when in seas need wave deflection... big time. It's also an extra buoyancy provider; i.e. more flare there is less deep the bow will burry in waves.

Last edited:
Art,
If the bow was'nt suffering from lack of volume due to excessive flare.
With a given beam flare is achieved by reducing boat volume lower down where it's needed to pop the front end up when encountering a big wave. The less volume the less "pop" then flare becomes a last ditch effort. There should be a ballance in everything. Many salmon trollers I see in Alaska have almost no flare but they usually have high freeboard in the bow.

Matt I thought about that when I asked the question and I'm glad you scuttled the effort.

Last edited:
Cosmetic as in puttin' lipstick on a pig? :hide:
Maybe that was meant as humor, but it feels wrong. Insulting someone else`s boat is not on, especially a labor of love. How about taking it down,yourself or if beyond time, with Mod help.

Maybe that was meant as humor, but it feels wrong. Insulting someone else`s boat is not on, especially a labor of love. How about taking it down,yourself or if beyond time, with Mod help.

I agree 110%! Please take that down... Matt is an artist and a marine-star for his incredible, long term pleasure boat reconfiguration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom