Old 06-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #111
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Guys, wearing an insert or orthotic in your shoe all the time is the wrong way to deal with Plantar Fasciitiis, you'll never get over it unless you do something to improve the flexibility in your feet and strengthen your lower legs/feet. Most docs tell patients this, but they don't listen as they just want a quick fix/magic bullet. It's easy to find someone who will take your money to make you an orthotic.

Orthotics are like a cast for your foot. Just like you wouldn't put a cast on a broken wrist and keep it on for the rest of your life, (a cast adds a lot of support, right?) you shouldn't wear inserts on a long term basis. You're weakening your feet and limiting their range of motion.

Don't get me wrong, heavy arch support has its place, just like a crutch or cast or neck brace does, just not forever.

Move your feet, they are meant to be dynamic and have tons of moving parts. Pick stuff up with your toes or use them to wad up a towel. Stretch them them against the base of a wall. Go barefoot when appropriate. Take it slow but move away from orthotics. Your feet will be better in the long run.
Doug,
Interesting
I got "over it" a long time ago but I'm paranoid about getting it back. I was told never to get up after being down for a time and put my weight on my feet. So I have arch supportive "slides" that I wear around the house. Beyond that I always wear leather shoes w inserts. My feet have been fine (OK) for 12 years but lately i've had a problem w hot feet in warm weather (we don't have hot weather here.
I had orthotics made in the early 70's but didn't work well. The inserts have. Perhaps there was an unusual reason for that and I should give orthotics another chance? Would be hard to get motovated when I have no real problem now and orthotics did'nt work in the past.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote