Gen 3 Radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Radar power

How significant has anyone found the power output to be in real life usage of their radars? Since the boats that we generally use will typically mount the antenna at 15-20 feet high, range is limited. So the difference between 4 kW versus 6, 12 or 25 kW I suppose is going to affect punching through rain. Does it greatly affect definition, is it really worth spending the extra money on all that power?

I have 3G, and was a radarman in the Navy. The broadband is great close up, and for finding large ships if you are near shipping lanes, but is pretty much useless in my experience past about 3 miles out. Even land masses don't show correctly 10 miles away and often don't show well even 5 miles away.

If I were going offshore I wouldn't consider broadband alone as acceptable radar. It is great in fog, close up and finding an anchorage in the dark and poor weather. It is nothing like "real" radar with 20-30 mile range and a beam that can damage you if you stand in the transmit periphery.

You get what you pay for...

What I am really interested in is how well the WiFi works transmitting to the MFD and/or iPad or PC.

Jumping on a RADAR topic: Have any of you had a dome mounted on the front of a flybridge and then changed it up on a mast? Any difference in pic? Worth it for a clear pic behind you? I'm wondering about the need for a clear pic aft, when these seem to be just 'pick your way home' through the harbor quality radars. I was wondering about trying the dome initially IN the flybridge and seeing how much performance is lost through the glass.

The Quantum Chirp seems to put the Simrad to bed. And I am not fond of Simrad product support anyway.

Only Simrad/Lowrance makes the "3G" radar which is the base unit of their broadband type radar. The others make basic versions of "standard" radar that has been used for years. If you have no ties to older equipment to match up, then go for the Simrad/Lowrance 3G.

what mount Di you use?

What I am really interested in is how well the WiFi works transmitting to the MFD and/or iPad or PC.

Well, Not having broken out another B.O.A.T. Buck for a Chirp (since I had to buy a new shaft) I can't comment on the radar wifi.

But I can comment on the plotter wifi to IPad, IPhone.

The raymarine display is great in sunlight. The iPad display just isn't to the same standards. My work around is to use the iPad only down at the salon helm. The ray marine touchscreen is WAY more visible in sun, and outdoors.

Although it is not clear, the manual states you can wifi connect "A" remote to the primary unit via wifi. I have not purchased the chirp radar yet, Am hoping that I can connect wifi the scanner AND the second display both wirelessly. I put in a question on the ray marine forum. Not only did I not get a reply, raymarine completely dumped the forum!

There are two apps. One is RayRemote . The other is rayview. As the name implies, The remote lets you use touchscreen iPad to operate the main display. But I find it lags. Good as backup, or extra display. But nothing like the real screen. The view is just that. What is displayed in the real screen is just shown on the iPad.

I found the iPhone to be too small to be useful.

Well, Not having broken out another B.O.A.T. Buck for a Chirp (since I had to buy a new shaft) I can't comment on the radar wifi.

But I can comment on the plotter wifi to IPad, IPhone.

The raymarine display is great in sunlight. The iPad display just isn't to the same standards. My work around is to use the iPad only down at the salon helm. The ray marine touchscreen is WAY more visible in sun, and outdoors.

Although it is not clear, the manual states you can wifi connect "A" remote to the primary unit via wifi. I have not purchased the chirp radar yet, Am hoping that I can connect wifi the scanner AND the second display both wirelessly. I put in a question on the ray marine forum. Not only did I not get a reply, raymarine completely dumped the forum!

There are two apps. One is RayRemote . The other is rayview. As the name implies, The remote lets you use touchscreen iPad to operate the main display. But I find it lags. Good as backup, or extra display. But nothing like the real screen. The view is just that. What is displayed in the real screen is just shown on the iPad.

I found the iPhone to be too small to be useful.

forum.raymarine.com is up and running right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom