SB to SF and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

questionmark

Hello all,

For our first big cruise in our trawler we are planning to head up to San Francisco from Santa Barbara. We plan to spend some time in the bay, a week or maybe 10 days depending on weather, and then spend 10-14 days enjoying the trip back down.

I'll probably do the trip up singlehanded. The family will join me somewhere up in the bay, and either we will all do the trip back or potentially just the wife and I, depending on how scheduling shakes out.

The boat is a 1979 C&L 37 Europa, which is really a 36' hull. It's a single Isuzu, but it has a "get home" engine that can drive the main prop shaft via a titanium chain.

The current plan is to head out to Cojo and wait for a good rounding window, then up to Morro Bay. We'll hopefully leave the boat in Morro Bay for a few days while my son (and maybe me if I find a crew spot somewhere) sails in the High Sierra Regatta up at Huntington Lake. After that I'm not really sure, I figure I'll let the weather decide what stops I make. Suggestions are welcome.

The three things I'd like to do in the bay is spend a few nights on the hook at Angel Island, cruise up the Napa River, and cruise to Jack London Square and have an adult beverage at the old pub there. We have friends in the east bay where we can leave the car, so we will have land transportation.

So for those Bay Area locals, if you had a few weeks to spend cruising the bay, what would you do? What "must see" things should we know about? We are a family of three with a newly minted junior high student.

Thanks.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Heading from San Diego, to the SF Bay is on my bucket list. I went to school in the Bay Area, but that was 30 years ago, so my data is old. An area you would enjoy is Sausilito, but getting a guest slip will be tough. The areas near Angels Island, TI, etc would be fun. But I will defer to current residents and cruisers to give you some good intel.

You owe it to yourself to make a trip up the San Juaquin river into the freshwater Delta. Great swimming and an opportunity to kill the bottom growth.

Second the recommendations to spend 4-5 days (minimum) in the Delta. From Jack London Square you can make the trip in a long day. Consider anchoring at Mandeville Tip or Three River Reach and explore out from there.

A lot of the bay is very shallow, so watch for low tides. My dad ran aground several times with a 5' draft 42 footer (boating and drinking wasn't exactly frowned upon in those days). The bay can actually get pretty snotty. There's a saying among sailors "If you can learn to sail in SF Bay, you can sail anywhere."

As others mentioned, the Delta really is fun, with warm water, warm air (unlike the bay, generally) and funky places (I grew up water skiing there)

I think the main thing I'd worry about with your boat is getting into sea states that she hasn't seen. Taller waves. All of a sudden you have clogged fuel filters and aren't running anymore. Make sure you are dialed in with solving that, and bleeding the lines. If your wing engine had its own tank and filters that would provide a little more safety factor.

In my Pacific boating, we actually hooked up our get home drive in anger one time. Not because our main failed, but because we wanted to go through the exercise. It's a whole nother thing that running through this at the dock. With the boat pitching and slamming, and the sea turning the prop and thus the shaft. You have to be able to stop the shaft from turning in order to get the chain on without losing body parts.

Big waves can happen anywhere, anytime, in the Pacific.

But I'm hoping you have a "lake cruise." I have seen that too, and it's glorious indeed!

Beware the bar outside the gate, be prepared for the possibility of beam waves near Richmond, and the eastern portions of San Pablo and Suisun bays can be rough particularly when current opposes wind.

Don't overlook Petaluma, but avoid low tide and time your approach for the D Street bridge where you'll need a reservation.

And there are times when everything is copacetic.

Seen at Ayala (formerly Hospital) Cove, Angel Island:

I second the idea of visiting Sausalito. Shouldn't be too hard getting a guest slip at one of the marinas there.

Angel Island is always a treat! Leave your boat on an Ayala Cove mooring and take the ferry, "Angel Island" to Tiburon and marvel at the "old money".

A trip into the delta is a must. Keep us informed of your expected arrival dates. You never know where the locals will be! Good luck!

Edit: You wouldn't happen to know a sailor by the name of Francis Samson would you? He has sailed the Huntington regatta every year since they built the lake!

Last edited:
Sausalito is a complete tourist town. Worth the visit, but Napa (wine) and Petaluma (chickens) aren't so intense but are no less interesting. Benicia (former state capitol) is also worth a visit as the old downtown (as are the three prviously-mentioned destinations) is only a couple blocks away from the dock. Pittsburg is a good place to put on fuel.

... Leave your boat on an Ayala Cove mooring and take the ferry, "Angel Island" to Tiburon and marvel at the "old money"! ...

Tiburon, where you must have a meal at Sam's!

Last edited:
Now there's a couple of happy Angel Island campers at Tiburon! That reminds me, questionmark, take a jacket. Somebody once said, "the coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco".

That was Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), not to be confused with local writer Jack London who extensively sailed SF Bay waters and a member of local yacht clubs and customer of local bars.

If you've a car available, "must sees" include Muir Woods and Mt. Diablo. From the mountain on a clear day, one can see for hundreds of miles. And then there are the former Nike missile sites in the Marin Headlands and the Bay Model in Sausalito. The list is endless.

Sorry, no volcanoes here.

But we've got wine.

Second the recommendations to spend 4-5 days (minimum) in the Delta. From Jack London Square you can make the trip in a long day. Consider anchoring at Mandeville Tip or Three River Reach and explore out from there.

Thanks. I grew up in the Central Valley, so I had sort of dismissed the delta. A night of reading has revisited that decision, and now it's rapidly becoming a focus for the trip.

We have another dream to do the loop, so it'll be great to do something similar.

If you've a car available, "must sees" include Muir Woods and Mt. Diablo. From the mountain on a clear day, one can see for hundreds of miles. And then there are the former Nike missile sites in the Marin Headlands and the Bay Model in Sausalito. The list is endless.

Sorry, no volcanoes here.

But we've got wine.

Good suggestions. We love Diablo, and I'll check into Muir Woods. Our normal "base of operations" for our visits is usually in Danville, so we will most likely stash the car there. I wasn't really planning on dragging it around, it's just that my wife will be driving up to meet the boat.

Sadly, I'm a huge disappointment to my dad because I don't drink wine. It's kind of his hobby. Luckily my wife can appreciate it, so he has someone to tutor. I'm more of a beer guy, but we keep a decent wine stock for visitors.

We visited Napa for the first time on a day trip last fall, and had a great time. But I think I would be willing to sacrifice the Napa River part to make the delta portion longer.

New cruising guide to SF

Go to Amazon and search for San Francisco cruising guide. There is a new 2016 edition that has all the answers.
My favorites...
Overnight at Angel on those double moorings (needs at least one 200' line..maybe your second anchor rode). Go ashore and explore. The old immigration station is very moving.
For access to The city use south beach harbor. Nice marina and good location.
China camp and Paradise point for lunch. Pretty rolly overnight.
Up the alameda estuary for warmer weather. Marina Village
on the alameda side is very nice.
Definitely a week up into the delta. Watch out for thin water, and weeds that can choke your intakes. But many great old funky marinas and isolated anchorages. Very laid back and relaxed.
Overnight at anchor in clipper cove. Almost under the bay bridge and the muted traffic noise always makes me think I'm anchored just off chatterbox falls in BC...if I keep my eyes closed!
But...single handing up the coast? Do yourself a favor and get a crew. The pro delivery skippers don't even make that run alone!
Enjoy!!!
Older salt

"Spell check is my new worst enema!"

Oh yes...the easy way to hit Sam's anchor cafe (tiny dock is often full) and spend the day in Tiburon.
Tie up at the docks at Angel island. Then take the little green box ferry over to Tiburon,spend as much time as you want there, then take the little ferry back to Angel. Easy Peasy, fun,and no docking hassles at Tiburon.
Oldersalt

Sounds like a great trip... right time of year... that isuzu will be leisurely grinding away - perhaps one of the west coast retirees will PM you and offer to crew.

Post a pic of the boat - sounds like a great vessel.

We have another dream to do the loop, so it'll be great to do something similar.

You haven't done "The Loop" until you've done the Delta Loop!

Let us know when you're entering our fresh waters. Hopefully we can meet up in the sun. Don't forget your sunscreen. But don't worry....few bugs and little humidity. We might have 100* days (35% RH) but we have 70-75* nights with cooling breezes. Last year, we didn't even break 100* on a 2 week trip.

Depending on location and time of year, the Delta can be absolutely filled with bugs. Don't leave any openings at night unless sure there aren't bugs about. Last time had a little-green-bug invasion. They literally covered the boat. Returning home (westward on eastern Suisun Bay) fighting steep five-foot waves, the water-spray turned green as it washed off the boat.

Unfortunately, left the boat open and the green bugs invaded my boat's interior.

Last edited:
Oh Mark...you were just in the wrong place (Mildred Island) at the wrong time. It's not usually like that. I'm hardly ever bothered by bugs at Mandeville for July 4th.

img_452121_0_8d345a7b2056a0dd5517b5bd2c53022a.jpg

But then again...maybe it's the alcohol.

Oh Mark...you were just in the wrong place (Mildred Island) at the wrong time. It's not usually like that. I'm hardly ever bothered by bugs at Mandeville for July 4th.

But then again...maybe it's the alcohol.

I'm sure you were hit as intensely with insects as we when tendering from Mahalo Moi to Carquinez Coot.

FWIW, some thoughts other places worth considering a visit: Paradise Cove for overnight anchoring on the east side of Tiburon and just north of Angle Island’s Ayala Cove; San Rafael channel – two on the water restaurants Pier 15 and Terrapin Crossroads (GreatFull Dead restaurant venue) and San Rafael Yacht club transient dock space, with easy access to down town, just be aware of thin water at low tide. China Camp just north of San Rafael for overnight anchoring, it’s a great jumping off point for heading east to the delta.
As already mentioned Benicia is also a good overnight spot with easy access to down town and good restaurants. Rio Vista, up river on the Sacramento main channel has an excellent harbor for over-nighting; if anchoring out is your preference Horse Shoe Bend behind Decker Island is an excellent spot that is protected from the prevailing westerly winds, it’s approx. 2 KNM down river from Rio Vista. From either Horse Shoe Bend or Rio Vista you can choose to either go up the Old Sacramento River, or up Steam Boat Slough, (have breakfast at the Grand island Mansion) and then connect further up river on to the Old Sacramento River, which in turn gives you the option to loop and head back down river and visit Isleton and other points already mentioned. Or leaving Horse Shoe Bend / Rio Vista turn east at 3 Mile Slough go past Brannan Island State Park and head for the San Joaquin River toward Stockton. Off the San Joaquin before Stockton you have the opportunity to travel up the Mokelumne River and stop along the Delta Loop at Moor’s River Boat, Willow Berm Marina or others; and from there to must see Georgiana Slough, or if really adventurous head up to the Meadows Slough. Or continue east along the San Joaquin toward Stockton. So many places and so little time, no matter where you choose to go you can’t go wrong with any of the options everyone mentioned.
A good read for places and things to do in the delta is the Bay & Delta Yachtsman Magazine at YachtsmanMagazine.com
Also, when heading out of the delta back to SF, stay out of San Pablo Bay in the late afternoon on an ebb tide, especially if there are 20+ KN westerly winds. Very short duration, steep 5’ to 6’ or more square waves, are not unusual and not fun.
By the way when heading north from Santa Barbara if needing places to hide out from the weather consider stopping at Port San Luis / Avila Beach, they have anchorage buoys; and north of Morrow Bay at San Simeon. After San Simeon you are on your own slugging it out until Monterey. Charlies Charts for the Pacific Coast is a good source for ports and land fall options along the coast. Did this trip a few times in a 53’ Hatteras from Vancouver BC and back; its fun if the weather is cooperative and you plan the passage around Mother Nature’s schedule. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
One thing about Ayala Cove at Angel Island is that current in the mooring field is 90-degrees to the fore-and-aft moorings. Mooring can be a challenge, but I've always had help.

Temporarily staying at the day-only docks until current is minimal might be a winning strategy.

I didn't notice any dates in your postings. Seems the High Sierra Regatta starts on the 9th so I expect you are heading to Morro Bay right after the 4th. If you still need someone to accompany you from SB to Morro Bay or beyond, send me a message.

So I've obviously had to change plans, since the boat is still in the yard minus a prop shaft. Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to try again next summer. While it's disappointing, with the extra notice I can bank up extra trade days and take a longer trip.

I'd much rather be cruising, but working on the boat is almost as nice. Not really, but I keep telling myself that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom