InReach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
For those in Canada who have been thinking about getting one of these, I see there is currently a $75 rebate from participating retailers. We got ours at London Drugs (one of the participating retailers). Can't say enough good things about them and they are great for travel in areas where there is no cell service.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Got one from Defender awhile back when they had a special Active Captain discount.

Have fired it up for the first time in preparation for a long boat trip this summer so that friends and family can follow our progress (or lack thereof). Also like the SOS feature and text messaging.

Have two other friends with boats who just returned from a winter in the Bahamas and it was fun keeping track of them from their InReach feeds. For them, text messages from their weather services while at sea was a valuable feature.

I have a SPOT and cannot text anyone, which in my case is a "good" thing!!!

We're big fans of the InReach. Used it last year as a test for this year's Downeast Loop trip. We've already got everyone at home following our tracking page, and the guys at my (former) work have already figured out how to send messages from that page.

Fun stuff, but the real benefit is the security of world-wide, two-way emergency comms.

Likewise, the ability to text when out of cell phone range is a real benefit these days. I can live without it, but everyone shoreside is so accustomed to instant contact that they get worried without it.

Back
Top Bottom