Gulf Coast Retirement, Texas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RED

So,we're thinking about moving to warmer climes (36 & rain/snow in PDX), particularly for the wife's health.* We have kids in Austin and enjoy visiting here (mid 70's & sun today).* Lake Travis won't do it for cruisers like us.* So, John, Keith in particular, is there any decent cruising if a boat were based in the Houston area?* Any other areas on the gulf coast with decent cruising?* We're*long term*boaters, but have no experience with the gulf coast.* Thanks.

Red,
I'll jump first here- and I'm sure more to come. We have had our boat in the Kemah/ Clear Lake area a couple of times over the last few years. The area is AWSOME to boat in. There are wonderful marinas all around, great boat yards and anything to do with boating can be found there. Great restaurants abound. Everyone seems health conscious and the whole area is clean and landscaped. The wife and I may relocate there eventually.
For me though- the destinations after you get in the Galveston Bay are a bit limited. Of course we had already traveled 5+ hours for our weekend visits so that didn't help. Further east is a little limited until you get around Morgan City and Houma. Charles Culotta and Steve Willet can give you ideas around this area.
We now stay north of Lake Ponchatrain in Mandeville. About an hour from our home. There are a few beautiful natural rivers leading into the Lake. Boat yards are not very plentiful, but the people are great and a day trip to New Orleans can be fun. From our area a days run will get you to Bay St Louis and Biloxi Mississippi. The Barrier Islands Re great destinations- Cat, Ship and Horn Areca few. Ken Tischler on the forum is very versed on these. Boating resources are very limited in Mississippi but the white beaches on the islands and the marsh fishing is awsome. Just my take on things- that's as far as I have been!

Steve pretty much covered it. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to stay basically shore based with little hops here and there, Steve is correct....Galveston Bay can be limited. But if you use your imagination a bit there are many things to do. If you will be going for weeks long trips or more then the Texas coast has a lot to offer....solitude mostly. My favorite place on the coast would have to be Port Aransas. Port A is what I would picture Key West to have been about 50 years ago... Just a small little fishing village with great food and great people and some of the best fishing you will find anywhere. The only issue with going South on the Texas coast is you are going away from the rest of the Gulf Coast and if you want to explore the areas Steve was talking about, you have a long way to go. Again, if time isn't an issue, then this shouldn't be an issue. Please feel free to ask more questions here or PM me if you want.

Yea, this is a great cruising area IMHO. Like Baker said, there is everything you would want around the Galveston Bay area. Once you head SW, there are stops and anchorages, but Rockport is where you get into more interesting stops. Once there, you have sort of a triangle between Rockport, Corpus Christi and Port Aransas, all great destinations but different. The Corpus Municipal marina is basically downtown, with great bars and restaurants in walking distance. The bus will take you over to the aircraft carrier which is now a floating museum. Heading east, again there are stops, but not too much interesting stuff until you get to Lake Charles and further East.

Prices around here are pretty cheap compared to other parts of the US, and there is no state income tax which is a plus. No property tax on boats either like CA.

Keith wrote:Prices around here are pretty cheap compared to other parts of the US, and there is no state income tax which is a plus. No property tax on boats either like CA.
Great!* There you go!* Now everyone that can Google "no state income tax" or "no property tax on boats" has found us!* Prepare for your slip fees to go through the roof.

I sure hope Gov. Perry doesn't see this!
cry.gif

Thanks for the responses -sounds like its definitely worth checking out! We like a mix of both anchorages and marinas for replenishing, sounds like its all there.

Come on down.* There are quite a few of us on this forum that live on or near Galveston Bay.* It's almost 72, sunny, 34% humidity today.* Kind of like San Diego.

And it's like that EVERY day down here!
no.gif

dougd1 wrote:

Keith wrote:Prices around here are pretty cheap compared to other parts of the US, and there is no state income tax which is a plus. No property tax on boats either like CA.
Great!* There you go!* Now everyone that can Google "no state income tax" or "no property tax on boats" has found us!* Prepare for your slip fees to go through the roof.

I sure hope Gov. Perry doesn't see this!
cry.gif

Doug I am so sorry for you folks that are already there that the secret is out!* But for me living in CA and paying taxes out the whazoo, Texas looks better and better.* I knew their was no state income tax but did not know there was no property tax on boats!*

I would never live anywhere with property tax on boats and cars and furniture.

Give me a break,* paying sales tax once is enough!

JohnP

dougd1 wrote:

Come on down.* There are quite a few of us on this forum that live on or near Galveston Bay.* It's almost 72, sunny, 34% humidity today.* Kind of like San Diego.

no.gif
Can Canadian boats come down there to visit... sounds like a wonderful place!!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 07:24:37 PM

Delia Rosa wrote:
dougd1 wrote:

no.gif
Can Canadian boats come down there to visit... sounds like a wonderful place!!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 07:24:37 PM

Yes!* Come on down!* However, I was just kidding about he "EVERY day down here" comment.* It's usually 95 degrees with 125% humidity!
wink.gif

And here I was all set to move down there to enjoy your "perfect weather"...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom