Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One difference is size. Spraying the whole thing at once is difficult so many people will do one side at a time stopping at the bow and stern. Epoxies don't blend at all but putting a division at an edge makes the division less apparent.

Matt,
The pics of these "Randall" boats shows much more dead rise to the bottom and 2-3 times as much flare as Solstice. Did you change the cross sectional shape of the hull midships to fwd? Wonder how that coulda happened?

Mate here's a pic of SOLSTICE out of the water getting loaded on to a trailer the day I took possession of her.

Does this help ya at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465657506.567506.jpg

One difference is size. Spraying the whole thing at once is difficult so many people will do one side at a time stopping at the bow and stern. Epoxies don't blend at all but putting a division at an edge makes the division less apparent.

Ah roger. Thanks for the tip mate :)

Matt,
Lots of deadrise like deep V ... opposite of flat.
Looks to me like in the pic in 83 her hull is deeper. Flare is harder to see in the pic.
Never mind Matt ... it is what it is.

Prepare to be impresses when this BABY goes back in the water!!! Couldn't get picts to pring... but, can click on each star/box for a basic chronology.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up mate. Is this the one that post is referring to?

It was not my intention to scare you, but there are a bunch of lessons in the Baden capsize event. No one knows how good or bad the stability of the boat was a launch because, A) actual stability figures did not exist before launching. They did not know the weight or center of gravity location. B) The way the boat was launched allowed it to capsize before it floated straight and level.

It was not my intention to scare you, but there are a bunch of lessons in the Baden capsize event. No one knows how good or bad the stability of the boat was a launch because, A) actual stability figures did not exist before launching. They did not know the weight or center of gravity location. B) The way the boat was launched allowed it to capsize before it floated straight and level.

The problem is that the human memory is blessed with a very short life.

In 1983 at the Amels Shipyard in Makkum they laid the keel of a 81.95 Meters Length overall (Loa) Liquid Gas Tanker M/T "Tasmanzee" when finished and launced from the drydock it was clear that their was made a terrible error in the stability calculations, the tanker almost capsized. To correct this they had to weld an approx. 5" steel plate under the entire bottom of the tanker, additonally they had to replace a major part of the superstructure with a new aluminuim superstructure. This whole operation ended in an increase of the vessles draught with 10" and a repair bill of over 6 million.

As a result of this disaster, in 1990, Donald Trump had to buy the Amels Yard to save his yacht from the yards Bankruptcy.

People have bad working memory.

Attachments

• Amels gastanker.jpg
    Amels gastanker.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Amels Trump.jpg
    Amels Trump.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 93

Nah you didn't scare me Tad. It was interesting viewing. SOLSTICE will be lowered into the water by slings on one of those travelling boat lifter things. I'll be speaking to the operators when I go to book a time and discuss with them the fact that she is new and that the COG is not really known nor is the ballast or trim requirements. I'll have a heap of sand bags with me until the weight and trim is stabilised before taking the slings off her and making lead shot in resin plates. I'll need to do this at the slips because it's a 1.5 hour voyage from the slips to where SOLSTICE will be moored. I might even chuck a few extra sand bags in the tender and tow it on her first trip home so I can adjust trim underway. When I first pull her out for her annual haul out and bum clean I'll be able to gauge where the water level is and be able to add a boot stripe to her and bring the anti foul up the sides. Until then I'll just do the bottom and about 100mm up the sides.

Last edited:
I'll have a heap of sand bags with me until the weight and trim is stabilised before taking the slings off her and making lead shot in resin plates.

Matt, you just read my mind, as I was thinking exactly the same as above, when contemplating how one might best address a somewhat unknown trim and stability issue. Sounds like you have it all thought out, so we can all now just sit back and enjoy "vatchen das progressen". :popcorn:

Matt, you just read my mind, as I was thinking exactly the same as above, when contemplating how one might best address a somewhat unknown trim and stability issue. Sounds like you have it all thought out, so we can all now just sit back and enjoy "vatchen das progressen". :popcorn:

Yep happy to put this issue to bed now.

:)

Yep happy to put this issue to bed now.

:)

ERRRR Sorry - Can't let ya snooze on this just quite yet. Be careful of the bag material you use... burlap rots quickly when moist at all and eventual piles of sand in tight places are a drag to clean-up! :eek:

Now you can put this issue to sleep if desired... knowing you - NOT!!! :rofl:

ERRRR Sorry - Can't let ya snooze on this just quite yet. Be careful of the bag material you use... burlap rots quickly when moist at all and eventual piles of sand in tight places are a drag to clean-up! :eek:

Now you can put this issue to sleep if desired... knowing you - NOT!!! :rofl:

before taking the slings off her and making lead shot in resin plates.

Shhhh this issue sleeping.

Let's talk about anchors or what's better twin or single screw hahaha

Today was all about the Port Holes. I needed a fibreglass sleeve so I could recess the Windows into the hull, so I made some templates, then lined them with rubber to get thicknesses right, then formed some thick cardboard inside the templates then lined it with plastic then added 5 layers of 450gsm glass tape then filled the jig with sand then wrapped it all up in plastic and left to dry. Then the port holes were cut out of the hull. A very tedious day trying to get the little things right. Late start tomorrow but can't wait to see how the sleeve turned out.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812826.856222.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812849.693100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812877.424131.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812890.660714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812906.596939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812918.645401.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812934.348611.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812945.853024.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812960.119999.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812977.689243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465812995.690344.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. H. ?????? I guess I'll wait until the "sleeve" is incorporated until I can figure out what it is you're doing. Don't bother trying to explain. I'm sure the penny will drop once you're further along. Time for another coffee here and I expect another beer there...

Greetings,
Mr. H. ?????? I guess I'll wait until the "sleeve" is incorporated until I can figure out what it is you're doing. Don't bother trying to explain. I'm sure the penny will drop once you're further along. Time for another coffee here and I expect another beer there...

I think Hendo is creating, in porthole terminology, the spigot. This spans the distance between the external hull and the internal liner.

Correct mate.

Sorry everyone not really up with the correct boat building terminologies

Strake, heal, spigot etc :)

Last edited:
Hly Sht... I watched the video. You are amazing! :thumb:

Greetings,

RT,
Ya made the post exactly for me. Can't figger the process but I sure like the result.
Plus one re Art too.

Nah you didn't scare me Tad. It was interesting viewing. SOLSTICE will be lowered into the water by slings on one of those travelling boat lifter things. I'll be speaking to the operators when I go to book a time and discuss with them the fact that she is new and that the COG is not really known nor is the ballast or trim requirements. I'll have a heap of sand bags with me until the weight and trim is stabilised before taking the slings off her and making lead shot in resin plates. I'll need to do this at the slips because it's a 1.5 hour voyage from the slips to where SOLSTICE will be moored. I might even chuck a few extra sand bags in the tender and tow it on her first trip home so I can adjust trim underway. When I first pull her out for her annual haul out and bum clean I'll be able to gauge where the water level is and be able to add a boot stripe to her and bring the anti foul up the sides. Until then I'll just do the bottom and about 100mm up the sides.

Sounds good. At least you are launching straight and level, that's a good thing. It allows the hull to develop it's full stability without creating any capsize force.

You can do a preliminary stability check while she's in the slings. Just spend a few minutes moving around on deck, the boat should move underfoot but pop back upright as you move to the centerline. If you stand on the rail (deck edge at the side) and the boat goes down a bit, then comes back with you standing there, that's decent positive stability. If you stand on the rail and she goes down at bit and stays down, that's less good. But as long as it stops before rolling you into the water, you still have some positive stability. If you step on the rail and she rolls down and keeps going until the straps stop her or she hits the dock, that's bad and work is needed. Namely more ballast.

Just a couple of hours today due to other appointments but had to see how the sleeve I made yesterday came up. It turned out great so I started to fit it to the hull liners and getting the recesses sorted and even. The outside will be trimmed flush with the outside and will look sooo sexy once painted with a black hull and chrome window surrounds ..!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890222.072985.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890233.623793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890246.658848.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890264.892643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890279.829058.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890292.806124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890307.849300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890320.785730.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890334.853244.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890347.671347.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465890364.491521.jpg

Figgured tout what cha twas doen... never shure how ya B doen ittall!

U B freekeken genious... at builden!

Cheers! Me Mate!

PS: 1st photo reminds be of beginning of a "Twilight Zone" episode... maybe you know the 1950/60's TV show with Rod Serling as creator/moderator, and often script writer too. He also was a genius! Too many ciggies took him down! Died way too early. Was a good boxer when young.

Last edited:
OK good Matt,
Art un I wuz wounder'in.
Probably the way a PO made the scuppers on Willy. Actually they were probably were much more low tech. Were not an ellipse but a slot w half circle ends.
Thanks Matt.

Figgured tout what cha twas doen... never shure how ya B doen ittall!

U B freekeken genious... at builden!

Cheers! Me Mate!

PS: 1st photo reminds be of beginning of a "Twilight Zone" episode... maybe you know the 1950/60's TV show with Rod Serling as creator/moderator, and often script writer too. He also was a genius! Too many ciggies took him down! Died way too early. Was a good boxer when young.

Lol thanks bro..

Appreciate your support and posts. They always crack me up lol

OK good Matt,
Art un I wuz wounder'in.
Probably the way a PO made the scuppers on Willy. Actually they were probably were much more low tech. Were not an ellipse but a slot w half circle ends.
Thanks Matt.

No worries Eric. Thank you mate. Not sure if I did it right or not but they worked out great using items I had on hand. I'll be filleting them and prepping them before it goes and fixes to the hull and glassing the outside edge to the hull skin before continuing the flare up the hull.

Thanks for your support Eric. I appreciate that you question me and make me think about what I'm going to do moving forward.

Thanks mate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom