RT firefly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This pi....g match is all RT's fault!*
wink.gif

pretty disappointing thread.
some of us come here to seek some sort of information and experience.
if those with strong professional expertise and experience are driven away by "hobby boaters" then we have slashed the wealth of knowledge available to all those who seek that knowledge on this board.

Per
Truth is- this is a hobby boaters forum. And it has a wealth of talent. My experience in life has shown it is typically better to pay for true "expertise". You get his best, you don't owe anything afterwards, and you get a warranty!
hmm.gif

Luker,
I love your little blue bird! That was great. We have cabin fever too and can't leave as we have jury duty. Here's a cabin fever immage. We have over a foot now but not as much as in the pic.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 324.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 324.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 80
Forkliftt wrote:

Per
Truth is- this is a hobby boaters forum. And it has a wealth of talent. My experience in life has shown it is typically better to pay for true "expertise". You get his best, you don't owe anything afterwards, and you get a warranty!
hmm.gif
Well said SteveAnd I would add, as has been said many times over the years, if you don't like a particular thread, DON'T READ IT!!!

Per
You need to understand that there is a lot of history in this thread, and a lot of baggage that simply can't be avoided. We'll get over it and move on soon. As a relative newbie to the site, you may not know the people involved, or their history with the forum and it's members. As to running off the professionals, I will stick with Forklifts statement.

Carey wrote:

Forkliftt wrote:

Per
hmm.gif
Well said SteveAnd I would add, as has been said many times over the years, if you don't like a particular thread, DON'T READ IT!!!

Per
You need to understand that there is a lot of history in this thread, and a lot of baggage that simply can't be avoided. We'll get over it and move on soon. As a relative newbie to the site, you may not know the people involved, or their history with the forum and it's members. As to running off the professionals, I will stick with Forklifts statement.

i have seen some of the mud slinging.
and i take any advise with caution, from professionals to hobby'ist alike.
i have gotten decent information both from delfin and from rickb and would be dissapointed if anyone of them stay away from this board... nothing to do about reading a thread or not.

The reason why forums like this are valuable is because they provide a broad perspective on issues, some informed, some less so but generally all worth at least considering.

When Delfin was refit, we started with a splendid empty tin can.* I had a lot of fun designing the layout, the equipment specifications, most all of the systems, and building a chunk of the cabinetry.* I relied on a very experienced project manager to oversee my plans and improve on them based on his broad experience.* Unfortunately, and even though he was probably more qualified as a professional than anyone on this site, he was incapable of learning anything new and after having messed up another build project to the tune of around $500,000 in fixes doing what he insisted was the only way, he was fired.* He cost me a fair sum in re-dos as well, and for about the tenth time I learned that the kind of professionals to stay away from are the ones intolerant to any perspective but their own.* Invariably these folks do know a great deal, but also are invariably a source of a lot of problems, expense and damage when they are in a position to insist that they are always right.

So count me in as someone who appreciates the knowledge of professionals as well as hobbiests, especially when that knowledge is presented without feeling the psychic need to call anyone with a different opinion and different experience criminals, idiots, imbeciles, clan members, etc. etc. etc.

I post because I love boats, and like Benn said, we all like talking about our boats.* I appreciate learning from others experience, especially from people who are passionate about their boats, and for whom its just about the fun of messing around with boats.

I am glad everyone appears to be calming down a bit. When I read the first couple pages it looked like it was going to be worse then the thread where I stuck up for the Coasties in the boating accident in SanFran and all coasties in general. That thread was enough to cause me to lose interest in the forum for a while, but I am addicted to boats and came back.

I consider myself a professional and a hobbyist. I have also learned alot from both groups on this site.

JMTSS,
Yes** ..that's what I consider you to be too and glad you are. I admire not only you but I really like the after section of the bottom of your boat. The bottom actually has some rocker to it. That makes it a true SD hull prolly running very well a knot or two or even three above hull speed but very efficient at or just above hull speed. Who designed it*** ..
do you know?

Talkin about your own boat,
I remember some time back Bill from Passage maker rang the chicken guy in USA (apparently worth billions) to talk about his new mega boat.
Got his secretary on the phone who informed Bill the big man was busy.
Apparently she must have passed the message on him, Bill says he had a return call within the hour and the guy just wanted to tell him about his new boat.
See we are all the same, just our boats and pockets differ.

Benn

nomadwilly wrote:

JMTSS,
Yes** ..that's what I consider you to be too and glad you are. I admire not only you but I really like the after section of the bottom of your boat. The bottom actually has some rocker to it. That makes it a true SD hull prolly running very well a knot or two or even three above hull speed but very efficient at or just above hull speed. Who designed it*** ..
do you know?
Eric,

Thank you for the comments I wish I knew who designed it but have not been able to figure it out, other then "Islander Custom Yachts" in Sarasota FL in the early 70's. For a while there was one on yachtworld that advertised itself as a twin engine but I have not been able to find anything else. I will post some more picks soon, alot of work has been done since the profile pick, her sweet spot is at 8.5 kts, which is just a little faster then I would have thought. In calm water I can push her to 9.5/10 kts but she is still a little light with some of the interior refit not done. One time I thought we where going to plain off and take flight, with a 20kt wind pushing us down the lower Cape Fear river and a full ebb tide also behind us, we hit 13.2 kts with the single N/A 135 Perkings. My favorite part is 1,350 gallons fuel and 300 gallons water. I can disapear for a long long time if needed!

nomadwilly wrote:

Luker,
I love your little blue bird! That was great. We have cabin fever too and can't leave as we have jury duty. Here's a cabin fever immage. We have over a foot now but not as much as in the pic.
Hey Eric - Man, that looks cold!* I don't know how you guys in the frozen north do it.* MD is about as far north as I care to venture.

I'm getting tired of the cold but it's warmed up. It's been 10 or so at night and 20 in the daytime for about a month but now it's warmed up to about 30**** ....still snowing. It's warm here compared to the rest of Alaska. But I've been looking at the Gulf Coast retirement thread. May be inexpensive enough to snowbird there. Could'nt afford it most other places and I could do some boating there.

It's definitely warming up.* Spring must be near since I can see the deer moving around in the field behind my house.

I'm still trying to clear my driveway so I can get to my boat and install my new heater.

Attachments

• nf1_1.jpg
    nf1_1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 81
I am happy to be one of the idiots here as RickB called us. I had rather be an idiot than a AH.

Doc wrote:

I am happy to be one of the idiots here as RickB called us. I had rather be an idiot than a AH.
Unless you're a pretentious AH.

Like me.

Old Stone wrote:

Dave - Where do you figure the photographer was when snapping that picture! Man I'm shiverring just lookin' at it!
I don't know where the picture was taken, a friend sent it to me without providing details. But yes, it makes you want to dress up doesn't it. A couple more from the series below.

Attachments

• nf2_1.jpg
    nf2_1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 79
  • nf7_1.jpg
    nf7_1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 73
Delfin wrote:Doc wrote:
Unless you're a pretentious AH.

Like me.Come on Carl!! We all know that you begged to be one.*
smile.gif

Carey wrote:Unless you're a pretentious AH.

Like me.
Come on Carl!! We all know that you begged to be one.*
smile.gif

Sniff.* Unlike the little people, I was born to be one.* No begging involved.

Delfin,

Being a pretentious ******* is cool. That has a certain class. It is the tiresome and common "know it all *******s" that I was referring to.

I wonder how many of you trashing each other would do it in person. I also wonder which ones like me would knock your aas off the dock for speaking to me like that. BB

Maybe that's one of the reasons so few showed up at the boat show meeting this winter.I think that's a ha ha ?

I think this is a lot of fuss about nothing and that RTF is sitting at his desk, laughing his ass off. The man has a great sense of humor and this thread must really amuse him. I, for one, miss his wit & hope his pride doesn't stop him from coming back. Remember, it was ME who nominated him for the Hall of Fame and I would do it again!

Attachments

• groucho.jpg
    groucho.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 80
Of the short time I have been involved with this forum, RTfirefly has been one of the BEST resources for information and insight,not to mention a great sence of humor. Hope Todo Bien. BB

Back
Top Bottom