What footwear do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same issues here with crocs!
Old school Sperrys for me.....

Wow I am really surprised to hear so many of these comments.
The reason I went to crocs was because I was slipping in boat shoes!
Haven't had any issues in 4 years with the crocs.
I even wear them at home in lieu of slippers!

Crocs on my ugly feet look, um, ugly.

Although I did buy some Crocs awhile back. They are sort of comfortable, but squishy, make my feet sweat and ... did I mention ugly. Sitting in the back of my closet. Didn't use them enough to find out if they lost their non skid properties over time.

I'm partial to these Topsider Billfish slip ons (or Dockers equivalent) for boat and informal social occasions and Sketchers or New Balance 623 sneakers for walking.

Attachments

• Topsider.jpg
    Topsider.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 72
Glad I'm not the only one. I've never worn flip flops and don't like sandals.

With you on this.
Tried the sandal thing couldn't do it.Felt like my Uncle Milt from 1952.

I'm surprised only wayfarer and I are the only ones that wear Olukai. Best flip flops on earth!!!

Barefoot mostly. Speedo Seaside lace water shoes if decks are wet or while washing her down; they're also great for dinghy to shore use. Flip-flops for walking docks, shops and parking lots. Oh... and nice Topsiders if going out and I put pants on!:socool:

BTW - those Speedo shoes are super "grippy" on boat, comfortable, and dry quickly. And were available at Costco - Cheap! :thumb: :smitten:

OH! I'm with the "Crocks are ugly fashion fails" group!

Last edited:
What the doctor will say...

That's why I mostly remain in the pilothouse. Because sun damages the skin. Besides, it's mostly cold and windy outside.

I'm surprised only wayfarer and I are the only ones that wear Olukai. Best flip flops on earth!!!

add one more Olukai fan :thumb::thumb:I've got one pair for every day and a nice pair for dress wear:socool:

I hate Crocs, not so much because of the looks, but I never found a pair that was comfortable. On the boat I wear Olukai Noheas. Onshore, it's Sperry Topsiders or sneakers.

My wife almost lives in Crocs.

Vans for me, I like the canvas upper material and the tread on the soles works well in the boating environment. I have a pair of nice "boat shoes" topsiders that look good but the leather laces sometimes have a mind of their own.

Vans and flip-flops (usually Reef) are my go-to's.

Slippers...unless it's raining outside.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have the same problem as Hopcar so I wear New Balance they make wide sizes and last/fit good. They can be ordered online with good information!
:thumb::thumb:
Me too, wide feet. New Balance (Dunham St Johnsbury) is the only sandal I have ever found wide enough.

I'm in shorts and sandals Apr-Oct and a pair can go 1.5 to 2 summers. When they go on sale I buy 2 pairs. The Vegas NB outlet often has them at about half regular retail.
St. Johnsbury by Dunham | CobbHillShoes.com - Free Shipping On Orders $125+ Every Day

I recommend we with wide feet contact Shaquille O'Neal and find out who makes his shoes. MOF... there must be "custom" cobbler who specifically cater to Big Peoples BIG Feet. May be quite expensive - but high quality too... for extended duration wear ability!

Art we do not have big feet. We have manly feet. Those who can buy shoes in just any store have little girly feet.

I recommend we with wide feet contact Shaquille O'Neal and find out who makes his shoes. MOF... there must be "custom" cobbler who specifically cater to Big Peoples BIG Feet. May be quite expensive - but high quality too... for extended duration wear ability!

Any shoe manufacturer in the world will make shoes for him. Rest assured the shoe manufacturers have his foot mold and are always ready to oblige.

I also like to wear whatever the guy on the boat next to me wears....:D:D

Any shoe manufacturer in the world will make shoes for him. Rest assured the shoe manufacturers have his foot mold and are always ready to oblige.

"Those "... always ready to oblige" matter not much... Those who do it right now - Matter! :thumb:

Last edited:
Unless I'm kayaking or canoeing I see no reason to wear anything but the shoes I usually wear .. leather Keen's or Clark's.

Wore flip thongs about ten years ago while living on the boat and walking to my shower in the morning .. up and down the ramp w no arch support .. low tide included. Developed a serious Planter Fascious problem and I do'nt ever want that back. In hot weather I wear sandals as my feet get too hot in leather. Think it's an age thing as I don't recall that problem from my youth.

I suspect that a lot of footwear mentioned on this thread is very bad for feet. I don't know what I'd wear if I lived in the hot south. I tripped (in my back yard in AK) on the flexible toe end wearing sandals. Could'nt get my hands out quick enough and went down on the rocks like a falling tree. Could'a died. Just broke my wrist. I don't wear sandals on the boat.

Unless I'm kayaking or canoeing I see no reason to wear anything but the shoes I usually wear .. leather Keen's or Clark's.

Wore flip thongs about ten years ago while living on the boat and walking to my shower in the morning .. up and down the ramp w no arch support .. low tide included. Developed a serious Planter Fascious problem and I do'nt ever want that back. In hot weather I wear sandals as my feet get too hot in leather. Think it's an age thing as I don't recall that problem from my youth.

I suspect that a lot of footwear mentioned on this thread is very bad for feet. I don't know what I'd wear if I lived in the hot south. I tripped (in my back yard in AK) on the flexible toe end wearing sandals. Could'nt get my hands out quick enough and went down on the rocks like a falling tree. Could'a died. Just broke my wrist. I don't wear sandals on the boat.

I've seen some serious injuries from sandal and flip flop accidents/tripping. You're right about bad for feet shoes in thread. I change inserts or add inserts in many. I also find by not wearing the same shoes daily, I reduce stress. And, I never wear a leather sole shoe, always soft. Even my dressiest shoes are soft soled.

All the shoes I wear aboard are also those I'm comfortable wearing out and about although I do have some additional walking shoes for days with lots of walking. I don't jog or do any sort of running on pavement. I save that for basketball courts, tennis courts and treadmills.

Has anyone else had quality issues with Sperrys? I bought some Gold Cups at the boat show and not a month later the soles started to fall apart. Almost two months it took for Sperry to return them and all they did was glue the soles! I could have done that without the wait and the lack of use.

Has anyone else had quality issues with Sperrys? I bought some Gold Cups at the boat show and not a month later the soles started to fall apart. Almost two months it took for Sperry to return them and all they did was glue the soles! I could have done that without the wait and the lack of use.

I've been wearing standard topsiders for about 15 years now. I usually get a good year out of them as 'presentables,' then another year as work shoes, then they get downgraded to lawn mowing shoes for a while.
After about a year, the insole is usually on it's way out. Otherwise, I haven't had any quality issues. Maybe you got some lemons?

As you can see ...
Xsbank's overweight and combined w being such an active dude .... hard on shoes. Avatar may not be truthful. Perhaps Xsbank will someday start a thread on hats to wear on boats.

BandB,
I usually use those green "Super Feet" inserts. Mostly protecting my Planters Facitus". Also switch shoes. Heavy agreement here.

In summer Sperry's, flip flops, Crocks boat shoes, and bare feet. Crocs make real/specialized boat shoes that stay nonskid a long time yet are soft and comfortable. They are hard to find and I usually have to special order.

Attachments

• crocs boat.jpg
    crocs boat.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 70
  • crocks2.jpg
    crocks2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 78
Sperry Topsiders or West Marine knock-offs when docking, transiting the locks or setting the hook. After that it's down to barefoot on board, and simple flaps ashore, unless its a formal occasion, in which case it's dress flaps.

Back
Top Bottom