View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #77
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Garmin tends to have the best profit margins so be careful what the dealers and techs say. However I agree they tend to have good ergonomics. Also, conventional wisdom is the source of most dock talk. Electronics is a fast changing industry and what someone is putting out today can't be related to what they did 10 years ago. Ownership and management change as well as technology.

If I was shopping for a new electronics suite, I would try to get on as many boats as I could with the various brands; most boaters will do this for you if asked, to show off their stuff and/or complain about it. The big boat shows like Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Annapolis etc usually have fairly comprehensive displays.
User interface ergonomics tend to be a very personal type thing. iOS vs Android (and the flavors of Android the handset Mfrs skin onto it) for example.

I've played around with some newer stuff recently, and have to say if a boat had the newer Simrad, Garmin, Furuno (my sweetheart on our last boat) or Raymarine were on there, I wouldn't change it out. But if it didn't have some big screens (my Hatt came with three 17" at the lower helm and a 19 at the upper) I'd do what it took to get them on the system.

A good " what's the latest" blog is Panbo. Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote