Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #71
Donsan
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure.....so many combos and possibilities.

Furuno usually lags behind in tech but has always shone in customer service and reliability. Their new wireless radar shows they are struggling with tried and true.

Garmin has taken a giant step forward in the last decade...probably some of the best equipment and alays intuitive. Yet I dislike them because of their proprietary mapping and reports of issues with its overall accuracy...but that's true of vector in general.

The combination of Simrad and Lowrance is still evolving....but both companies at the small boat level have struggled for years now.

It boils down to the best packages that give you what you need...which almost any can.

So if I was going to order a new boat now, I would have to do some more research as I and pretty much no one I know is up on every piece of gear and what is coming next.

The 2 brands I would go with right now would be Ray or Garmin. I just bought a Ray e7 two years ago and it has exceeded expectations, has a detail or 2 that could be better, and feel the one or 2 things I may add will match nicely.

That said.....had the boat came with a Garmin unit...I would build from there.

Could almost say the same for all manufactures...yet 1/2 my electronic capabilities are pc based or will be and that may disrupt the "marine built" for me and the boats I would own in the future.

As I said in post 4, most dock talk is just that.....go next door for a completely different set of opinions.....it is less about which manufacturer these days as much as it us what do you want now, and down the road...and which companies are best AR handling that change.
Fair enough and thanks for the comments.

What I am having an issue with is getting a good side by side comparison of a complete suite of equipment. Marine equipment just doesn't seem to inspire a "Consumers Report" type evaluation so we rely on "dock talk".
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote