View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #67
Bruce B
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
We get you don't like Raymarine.

Your experience seems to be an extreme....juse pointing that out...could care less what you buy.

There is a story like yours for every manufacturer...I worked and installed for years at a marine electronics shop, have been teaching boating for decades, delivered boats and met hundreds of boaters every year when I towed them....heard complaints and praises across the board on just about everything marine.

Went to this video on controlling the autopilot from the mfd....seems pretty simple..... yes Garmin is pretty savy abut simplicity...but I don't see where the raymarine software was written by Ralph Nader...

https://youtu.be/aEhBdIO7jfY
Not sure my experience is so extreme...
What I hear from installers I have asked is that Ray is not the most reliable product these days... This even from one of the Guru's (no names...) who posts regularly here. "No more Raymarine..." is something Ive heard a lot! It is not just me.

As this is a thread I started and I keep reading that people like their Raymarine stuff in spite of the fact that I clearly stated that I didn't want more Raymarine I feel obliged to repeat my desire to avoid the stuff.

As far as your experience working in an electronics shop that means little to nothing to me. Some of the worst installations I have seen (and I mean really, really bad, dangerous stuff) have been done by a major electronics dealer locally here. I have a friend who's boat has systems installed by these guys that I'm amazed hasn't burned to the waterline, oh wait...it did suffer a fire once! Yes from poorly installed electronics! There are plenty of people out there who do amazingly good work too. I have also seen installations that are like art work! Ive no idea what your skill level is so...

I will be on our boat later this week and I'll do a little video of engaging the auto pilot from the plotter. Take my word for it, it is cumbersome with too many Ralph Nader safety reminders to be a practical working solution. Garmin is easier on the stuff I've used.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote