What footwear do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keen sandals. They have a new one called the UNEEK which is made from cords....super comfortable, non marking, non slip and washable.

Another vote for Sperry Topsiders. I'm also a giant fan of Olukai flip flops. They're a little pricey, but have been very worth it in my opinion. Barefoot whenever possible.

I had a pair of croc flip flops once. They were fine until they tried to kill me. Apparently when the tread wears down below a certain point, they get wicked slippery when wet.

I have some Sperrys but don't wear 'em on the boat. I'm barefoot in warm weather, wear flip flops if walking on splintery docks and hot parking lots. Converse Chuck Taylors in winter.

Kevin

Payless shoe store "running" shoes.

Sperry's in general if I'm wearing shoes.
Crocs when I'm washing the boat. Stick like glue to my deck even when wet.

I sell Sperrys in my store but I can't wear them. They don't make them wide enough.

I wore Crocks all the time for a couple of years, on the boat and off. They are ugly but the toe box is wide enough for my webbed toes.

Crocks get very slippery as they wear and they wear fast. If you wear them on a boat, replace them often. When new they are very slip resitant.

I've switched to Teva sandals. I haven't worn shoes in two years or more. For formal wear I put on black socks with my sandals.:D

Sperry Stopsliders, sandals, velcro latched sneaks... bare feet very often. Oh yeah - fins... I swim a lot! :thumb:

Last edited:
Sperry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 55
Ugh. Can't stand having straps between toes. Wasn't raised that way.

I have the xame problem zs Hopcar so I wear New Balance they make wide sizes and last/fit good. They can be ordered online with good information!

Nothing says fashion failure like cheap flip flops with white calf high tube socks. Have a customer who shows up with them regardless of the weather. Dorkey!

Ted

Barefoot, since I mainly sit on the helm chair and let the GPS and AP do the work.

If I do have anything on it is Speedo water shoes, makes it easy to transition to the tender and beach.

Keen Portsmouth,super comfy for wide feet like mine.
Sperry Topsiders,not as comfy,mainly for when I can't find the Keens.
Crocs for dingy to beach work,the most subdued colour I can find.They last me a long time,mainly because I don't wear them that much.
I thought there was a law against the Crocs/sock combo ? My wife tells me there is.
I seem to be missing one though.

Attachments

• tumblr_nrku2zgMVC1rfwfq9o1_400.jpg
    tumblr_nrku2zgMVC1rfwfq9o1_400.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 05199eb0aa95394978557fcecc1d41da3c7e5-wm.jpg
    05199eb0aa95394978557fcecc1d41da3c7e5-wm.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 106
I sell Sperrys in my store but I can't wear them. They don't make them wide enough.

Yeah, I can't wear them, either. They're idea of "wide" sizes is probably about a B.

Wouldn't hurt if folks here commented on makers with truly wide size, like EEE at least and EEEE would be better.

And knowing about non-slip orthopedic options would be nice, too... for those of us who have been mangled a bit over the years, put back together with screws and such. Best I've found so far are the Rockport walking shoes in W (probably really about a 2E) for general purpose and cooler weather, and for on the boat a lighter weight sport shoe they make, also in W (IIRC).

And some of the TEVA sandals actually do better in the ortho department than some shoes. Especially useful when we're going into the water...

-Chris

Old Hippie here .:flowers: Birkenstock sandals or converse till I get to the boat then it's barefoot .

Yeah, I can't wear them, either. They're idea of "wide" sizes is probably about a B.

Wouldn't hurt if folks here commented on makers with truly wide size, like EEE at least and EEEE would be better.

-Chris

What lengths are you guys experiencing the width issues in? I often have to order due to size, but guess my width is not disproportional to my length. I have noticed that many only have XW up to size 12, then only W. I know Sperry only offers XW in Classic and Billfish, but not in Goldcup or Billfish Ultralight. The Ultralight is medium only.

Athletic shoe brands are far easier to find in large sizes.

Shimano deck shoes, best I've ever owned. Have worn Crocs for years and have busted my ass with them at home and on the boat several times. Slipped and fell off my friends Searay with them.

No shoes on the boat what-so-ever! I don't want sand, grit, and tar ruining my decks I wear socks if it is cold but this is relatively rare in Florida.

New Balance walking shoes, per the podiatrist, for chronic tendonitis.

What lengths are you guys experiencing the width issues in? I often have to order due to size, but guess my width is not disproportional to my length. I have noticed that many only have XW up to size 12, then only W. I know Sperry only offers XW in Classic and Billfish, but not in Goldcup or Billfish Ultralight. The Ultralight is medium only.

Athletic shoe brands are far easier to find in large sizes.

I usually can't even get my foot into the Sperry's I've tried in their widest size (probably XW), Topsiders, I think... in my normal size 9, or sometimes 9½ depending on brand.

I think XW = B in other brands.

-Chris

What the doctor will say...

Attachments

• abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 144
I usually can't even get my foot into the Sperry's I've tried in their widest size (probably XW), Topsiders, I think... in my normal size 9, or sometimes 9½ depending on brand.

-Chris

:thumb:

I have to buy EEE and at least 2 sizes too big in almost every shoe I own.

The good news is with feet like these, I don't need swim fins....:D

My kids call them Fred Flintstone feet. :eek:

Shimano deck shoes, best I've ever owned. Have worn Crocs for years and have busted my ass with them at home and on the boat several times. Slipped and fell off my friends Searay with them.
Same issues here with crocs!
Old school Sperrys for me.....

A lot of flip flops and bare feet here. I have never been able to wear flip flops comfortably, even as a kid. Since my whole boating life has been sailing, barefoot was never a good option if you wanted to keep blood off the decks. I did find that last weekend I did go barefoot on the boat and it was an unusual experience, but nice. Another new experience with transitioning to power. Not great for my plantar fasciitis however.

OluKai-Ohana-Sandal.jpg

Best dang frip frops I done ever own't.

-Chris

I think when you get into the 12 and 13 range, a lot of them are just wide based on assumption of wider feet. Still I only find one that fits 50% of the time. There are such wide disparities between brands. Basketball shoes, tennis shoes, all the same way. My feet measure size 12, but I have more 13 deck shoes than 12's.

Back
Top Bottom