Niagara River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Anyone here who has gone up the Niagara River from Buffalo in their own boat or a private boat on which they were a guest?

Only as far as the Youngstown Yacht Club I'm afraid.

Only as far as the Youngstown Yacht Club I'm afraid.

So you've come a little from the other end. We'll look more as we drive up tomorrow. Had friends fly in who have always dreamed of seeing the Falls plus some others who wanted to join us for it.

Anyone here who has gone up the Niagara River from Buffalo in their own boat or a private boat on which they were a guest?

Do you mean down river?
There really isn't any up river from Buffalo???

Have been from Tonawanda around E side of Grand Is close enough to view the falls mist...then back S and thru Black Rock Canal to Buffalo

Do you mean down river?

Have been from Tonawanda around E side of Grand Is close enough to view the falls mist...then back S and thru Black Rock Canal to Buffalo

I mean exactly what you have done. From Buffalo to Tonawanda to Niagara Falls. It appears to be an easy run, just you have to stop around North Grande Island Bridge. We're going to go first to the falls on a tour boat so we should learn from that what is feasible on our boat.

Is it scenic, an area worth seeing? I'm not asking about the Falls, the area from Lake Erie to the Falls.

Upstream from Tonawanda you have two choices, up the river or through the Black Rock Canal.

I've gone from Tonawanda up to Lake Erie in my Trendsetter 40 capable of 21 knots and we could not make more than 7 against the current.

Went up through the Black Rock Canal to Lake Erie in Dirt Free last August. I would not ever attempt the river in Dirt Free.

Tonawanda is a party town on weekends and the harbour gets very crowded if the weather is good.

Upstream from Tonawanda you have two choices, up the river or through the Black Rock Canal.

I've gone from Tonawanda up to Lake Erie in my Trendsetter 40 capable of 21 knots and we could not make more than 7 against the current.

Went up through the Black Rock Canal to Lake Erie in Dirt Free last August. I would not ever attempt the river in Dirt Free.

Tonawanda is a party town on weekends and the harbour gets very crowded if the weather is good.

We'll be going to Tonawanda on a weekday. Not determined how much further, if any, we would go.

Is it scenic, an area worth seeing? I'm not asking about the Falls, the area from Lake Erie to the Falls.

Tonawanda is probably the biggest attraction in that stretch...nice place to stop & shops restaurants w/in walking distance. Agree w other comments it can get busy on wkends. Some marinas & yacht clubs around Grand Is but the real sightseeing is at / below the Falls.

We'll be going to Tonawanda on a weekday. Not determined how much further, if any, we would go.

If you are going to Tonawanda it's not far to Grant Is...

Do you mean down river?

Yes, did mean North or down river. Up was geographically, not river flow. Didn't realize how confusing it was until later.

Remember to take your camera and post lots of pics so we can all enjoy your trip.

Oh, and have fun!

I've covered both ends of the river by bicycle and car. I'd suggest going up the river from Youngstown - it's a pretty gorge. Not sure how far up you can go. The river running boats go up to the grotto and beyond, but the current is pretty strong at that point.

I've covered both ends of the river by bicycle and car. I'd suggest going up the river from Youngstown - it's a pretty gorge. Not sure how far up you can go. The river running boats go up to the grotto and beyond, but the current is pretty strong at that point.

Next time we loop we'll have to do that.

I was at the Tonawanda wall last weekend, it definitely is a hopping place, and a good time. I took the bus to the falls and really enjoyed the day. Rode my bike around Niagara Falls and did the touristy things. Seeing the falls from the Maid of the Mist was even better than I thought it would be. Stuck my nose in the Niagara River and the turned around and headed back east on the Erie Canal. The western Erie should not be missed if you can clear the low bridges.

Rafe

Niagara river

You have a few choices. Out of Buffalo you can take the Black Rock Canal with a bascule lift bridge, a swing rr bridge and a 100 year old lock or go out on Lake Erie and take a fast ride down the river. Shallow waters upstream of the Peace Bridge . When you reach Grand Island stay to the east and go to tonawanda staying in US waters passing the Erie Canal. The west branch in mostly in Canadian waters. You can go completely around Grand Island but watch your charts and water depth downstream of the north GI bridge. This is the closest you want to get to the Falls and you only see the skyline of the city and the mist from the falls.
It is a pleasant ride with good restaurants on the Erie Canal in Tonawanda
The rest of the scenery being some nice homes on Grand Island.
Buffalo River is now a great destination with marinas, parks, naval ships to tour and bars and restaurants.
Hope you enjoy your time in Western New York

Take the Black Rock if you are higher than 21 '

B and B. Are you the folks that brought the nice "Ranger type " tug into Buffalo this week?
I was told it was hauled in on a trailer this week. Looks beautiful

B and B. Are you the folks that brought the nice "Ranger type " tug into Buffalo this week?
I was told it was hauled in on a trailer this week. Looks beautiful

No, not us. We came by water and not a tug.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom