oil inlet shield removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafferty

iv got a velvet drive 71c or 72c trans on my fishing boat. looses pressure. trying to remove oil inlet
shield #92. when remove plug found a metal plate preventing access to screen.
plate not shown in any diagrams iv found. any thoughts?

Somewhere, I have a repair book. Got it when I rebuilt mine.
It was a worthy book to have and learn about these things, these are very simple devices.

Got any pictures?

iv got the book and have no pictures. its the 71c probebly id plate missing.
the screen is located at bottom right rear when viewed from stern and is the origional location of cooler return if no reduction gear which i have

never been on a forum before. dont know if im doing it right

While not 100% sure what you mean by that I will offer these resources for you. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s22/set-up-your-account-|-help-tips-etc-5739.html this thread is filled with great info for how the forum functions. Post #6 is popular for its tutorial for uploading pictures.

This is another popular thread http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/new-member-orientation-102-a-14814.html that deals with the general method of posting at internet forums in a way that doesn't ruffle any feathers(which you in no way have done). Both threads are great reads for newer and even older members from time to time.

I hope you find answers you seek to your questions. Welcome to the forum.

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/velvet-71c-72c-img.gif
velvet-71c-72c-img.gif

That #92 is a cylindrical filter, and piece of metal like your saying will block the fluid flow.
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/ve...rine-transmission-assembly-current-production

These are the relevant parts,
88 10-00-191-002 PLUG (3/8-18) 2
89 4885B DRYSEAL BUSHING (3/4-14) 1
90 5L-222 SPRING, EARLY MODELS, NO LONGER USED 1
91 35-143 FLAT WASHER, EARLY MODELS, NO LONGER USED 1
92 10-00-238-002 OIL INLET SCREEN 1
93 71C-84 OIL RETURN TUBE 1
94 71C-A98 OIL STRAINER ASSEMBL Y

Last edited:
Last edited:
It seems that this is the part stuck in front of the filter?
Seems to fit your description.
93 71C-84 OIL RETURN TUBE

If so, it should slide out, maybe it is stuck, it is a metal tube.

what threw me off, is your description of a metal plug, it is a metal tube.

thanks for the response my boat is a 1961 uniflite salmon boat with a 371 gmc.
after reviewing all the manuals for velvet drive i find more commonalities with the 73c than any other. for instance the filler dip stick is a square nut type and the drain plug where screen is located has a relief to exept a 3/8" ratchet driver. all the other diagrams showed a two part plug there [smaller part called shipping plug fits inside 3/4" plug]

donson the first link you offered is the manual i have on the boat.
71 or 72c but i have only owned the boat for 2 years and it would not be the only manual on board for equipment no longer there. just finished motor overhaul and reuniting of trans after lifting motor. also readjusted packing nut to one drop per 60 seconds which seemed to slow to me but was recomended by slip naighbor, long time fisherman. shaft will rotate by hand

Could the "metal plate" actually be "flat washer part #92"? shown on the parts diagram. Maybe jammed in place, does it have a hole in it? if so hook it out with bent wire, rod, or a pick.
Good luck!

it is a plate. i was able to slide it up a millimeter or so to drain oil. since cooler return is to reduction gear not to the hole with the strainer i cant get out, i dont see what would be strained there any way. so i returned the plug and filled with 30 waight replacing thinner atf which all bw velvet manuals specify as ok. started boat and got 130 or so pounds of pressure. granted the oil has not been heated yet. when i topped off after running for a couple of minuets to fill cooler and lines, my oil was kinda foamy [tinny bubbles]. hope this deosnt mean pin hole in cooler letting coolent in oil and vice versa. as for the origional pressure loss i had never run the boat as high rpm [1300] for that long [5 hours] before so would never have noticed if the trans was this way since iv owned it. if problem persists i will remove and clean regulator valve as per trouble shooting oil pressure drop in manual.
thanks everybody

Back
Top Bottom