Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hollywood and Bruce B,
The stick boat and the tub. Oh yes all the Willards resemble the other end of a bathtub and I don't like sailboats much but I'd like to have a stick on mine at times for a stabilizing sail. The 36 is the best looking Willard but thier proportions make them so tall and wide (hull wise) they resemble ships more than most boats ... kinda the opposite of a Fleming. But for the size of the boat the Willard probably much more seaworthy than a Fleming.

Yup .... I would never buy some Willards myself but I think all the displacement Willards have a hull beauty that puts them way up there visually. And to me the 40 is just so big .... But most here think big is great.

Hollywood and Bruce B,
The stick boat and the tub. Oh yes all the Willards resemble the other end of a bathtub and I don't like sailboats much but I'd like to have a stick on mine at times for a stabilizing sail. The 36 is the best looking Willard but thier proportions make them so tall and wide (hull wise) they resemble ships more than most boats ... kinda the opposite of a Fleming. But for the size of the boat the Willard probably much more seaworthy than a Fleming.

Yup .... I would never buy some Willards myself but I think all the displacement Willards have a hull beauty that puts them way up there visually. And to me the 40 is just so big .... But most here think big is great.

Eric - Willard made planing hull?? Personally I like the mellow, easy-going look of Willard hulls and superstructures. Not my choice... but, nice for sure!

Norse classic 1950, 7.7x2.6x0.7m , pine/oak, mahogany, teak, stabiliser sail, (32k€)
20801_800x600.jpg

http://www.boten.be/boten/Klassieke...OTHERSLouma/Merk-Type/Oplopend/pag1/#bigfotos

Last edited:
But not a stabiliser sail.

Beautiful boat w fine ends. Probably very easily driven .... by about 5hp. One quarter of what Willy requires and basically the same size boat.

Last edited:
But not a stabiliser sail.

Beautiful boat w fine ends. Probably very easily driven .... by about 5hp. One quarter of what Willy requires and basically the same size boat.
Yes she's with small Sole Mini 17 (16hp Mitsubishi 2 cyl.)
Looks like mizzen?
20801-4_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Mizzen mast of course. I was see'in a flag pole in the earlier pic.

I see the instruments are where they usually are on a sailboat.

Probably cruise speed ... with very minimal wake.
Any pics of her out of the water?

Engine in Willy is 4cyl 37hp. Bout two times yours.
Love these low powered vessels.

One of my canoes gets 4hp.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that mast be for a riding sail?

oldmarlin,
Wow that's the real deal. Could be called a fish form hull. The fwd end is fuller than aft. The opposite of my boat clearly. Very efficient. It would be hard for water to make a fuss going around this beautiful hull.
Owning a boat like this must be a bit like being grampa to Taylor Swift.
Thanks for posting.

I almost bought a Monty about 5 years ago. It was a toss up between one and the 26' motor whaleboat I did get. The Monty was the same length, with the basic same eng, wood of course, all in all in fair shape but needed a lot of wood work and all I could see was 3 months hauled out, so passed and got the glass whaleboat instead. I really do like the Monterey boats though and have a few neat books about them.

Last edited:
George Calkins's Bartenders are all high-speed planing hulls. My design for Bartender Boats, the Timbercoast Troller, is a low-speed (7 knot)full displacement hull, actually a mini-motorsailer. Bartender Boats, in seeking to diversify, has never been able to differentiate the two, in hindsight it was probably foolish to try.

TAD,
I agree.
However 7 knots is probably a bit fast for the TT.

"Alpine Sea"

Dimensions
LOA: 22 ft 0 in
Beam: 7 ft 4 in
Dry Weight: 4000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 29 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Kubota
Year Built: 2011
Engine Model: Nanni N3.30
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 825
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 29 HP

Cruising Speed: 5 knots @ 2000 RPM
Maximum Speed: 7 knots

There is a reduction gear, approximately 2.5:1, and the 3-blade prop is approximately 17" x 13".

Last edited:
Quite interesting small motor-sailer, I like. Should she be closer...
Don't know for you, always sad when owner sells... much emotion invested in a design project...

Last edited:
"Alpine Sea"

Engines
Total Power: 29 HP

Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive

Cruising Speed: 5 knots @ 2000 RPM
Maximum Speed: 7 knots

There is a reduction gear, approximately 2.5:1, and the 3-blade prop is approximately 17" x 13".

NMPG - At 5 knt cruise?

Man, that is one sweet little ship. So well done too.

Man, that is one sweet little ship. So well done too.

That's it's main drawback Larry, it's really quite small. Ideal for one person longer term, fine for two for a day trip, tight for two over the longer term. A 26-28' version would be better for two people.

The Timbercoast is in Anacortes at North Harbor Yacht Sales. It's cute, it is smaller than I thought it'd be. 5kt cruise speed, better bring a book.

That's a cool boat.

Not sure how it makes it around the world with that 260 gallon fuel tank however.

Donsan,
I looked at one several years ago. Great boat but the one I was looking at had no afterdeck ... much like a sundeck.

Dude,
They are very efficient and may have as little as 3hp per ton. This is no SD hull but a deep and heavy FD design. I think the one I looked at had an 80hp JD. Like Mark's boat but much larger.

Back
Top Bottom