Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the lighting. Bout time you got back to boat building, was afraid you lost interest and turned to panel beating.

Haha tell me about it brother! ... Some days I have to belt timber with a hammer so I do forget how to use it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

What's that ugly growth hanging off the side of the White 67' .. lol :p

Silly Goose! - That's yours truly admiring our Wildcat beast in 1998 when I first purchased her; short handle rake in my hand for leaves on driveway of our beach house in Mendocino county... 130 miles north of Marin County where we live.

The Cat had 71,321 miles on her when I found her. Orig owner was 101 yrs when she passed. Her hubby had passed some years before. Their son religiously took the Cat out several times each year to keep it's juices flowing. Funny thing is... day before I purchased... a guy had bought it off the family and put it in "classic car" section of local news paper. I was sitting on the throne at 5:30 the next morn and saw the ad. ASAP I got to a land-line phone (this was basically before cell phones - lol) and called the guy. He answered but sounded drunk... Told me he could not come out to his driveway till 9:30 in morn. Linda and I were there at 8:30. Before he came out (looking all disheveled) I'd already gone over and under the Cat with fine tooth comb. He threw us the keys, Linda and I took the Wildcat for a ride. Linda nodded yes... I flashed cash... he needed a drink... Rest is history!

Don't plan to ever sell this "Luxo Muscle Car!" It's a pisser to blow the doors off so many youngsters with "small" speedster cars by having a behemoth car such as our Cat. At 6'1" and 245 lbs. I can lay stretched out side to side in it's trunk, with room to spare!! - :thumb: :D

PS: The wife was 70 yrs. old and hubby even older when they purchased the 360 hp Wildcat in 1967. Sooo... they were driving that powerful speed beast into their 80's or maybe even 90's. Man, that takes some balls. The cat gets my attention every time I step on it, passing gear, engine roar is purely a rush on the highway... her muscle motor luvs high rpm. Highest speed I've taken her was with the 125 mph speedometer pinned; still had lots more mph left to go!

OK - Thread hijack is over - thank you for your time - now, back to your beautiful SOLSTICE! She's looken better all the time! :smitten:

Last edited:
Matt,
It looks like you've put on a strip board right above the side windows to act kinda like the gutters on older cars .. controlling water to a degree. That so mate? I like if so. But perhaps it's just a two tone paint line for visual bling. Real live "window dressing"? May like that too when it comes to pass.

I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.

It would be foolish to do so without any supporting data. Nothing definite can be said about the stability without a lot of data, the hull lines, overall weight, and center of gravity. None of those are currently known (to me).

If we knew the total weight and rough overall dimensions I could say how deeply it will float, but not how it will trim (bow or stern down or up) or heel, either at rest or underway.

Best would be to put the boat on a trailer and take it to the nearest truck scale, then take the empty trailer back to check the difference. Or you could rent some load cells and measure weight in place (two or 4 points).

Or you accept the (small) risk, and see what happens when you launch her. Do the launching gently, constrain the boat so it cannot heel at all while being launched (see the Baden capsize thread).

Matt,

It looks like you've put on a strip board right above the side windows to act kinda like the gutters on older cars .. controlling water to a degree. That so mate? I like if so. But perhaps it's just a two tone paint line for visual bling. Real live "window dressing"? May like that too when it comes to pass.

Hi Eric,
Sorry mate I'm not sure what you're referring to. Which pic?

Cmon you love more about SOLSTICE than you're letting on. It's ok we're all friends here; you can tell us haha

It would be foolish to do so without any supporting data. Nothing definite can be said about the stability without a lot of data, the hull lines, overall weight, and center of gravity. None of those are currently known (to me).

If we knew the total weight and rough overall dimensions I could say how deeply it will float, but not how it will trim (bow or stern down or up) or heel, either at rest or underway.

Best would be to put the boat on a trailer and take it to the nearest truck scale, then take the empty trailer back to check the difference. Or you could rent some load cells and measure weight in place (two or 4 points).

Or you accept the (small) risk, and see what happens when you launch her. Do the launching gently, constrain the boat so it cannot heel at all while being launched (see the Baden capsize thread).

Thanks TR.
I was going to get a franner to come in and pick her up and get the weight of the hook but I'm happy to accept that she'll need added ballast/trim once she's floated.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Is this the one that post is referring to?

Matt,
Re the vid ... go light on the horror flicks. That could give one nightmares. No I was refering to one of your pics. Post #48 pics .. the 6th and 8th one down. I see now it's just a step out where the wood is doubbled .. I think. What you did is better than what I was thinking. Re the pic I commented about in post #53 .. I expanded the pic and see what it is.
I'd prefer white tarps .. not flodded in blue light.

Oh there's more to rave about but need to save something for the future. Gotta be honest though .. I like the old name Axe better. But Solstice is nicer.

Last edited:
Sorry, thread hijack not quite over...

Al said... "My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-."

Al, sorry, but that's no muscle car...it's just a big sucker, and you'd expect that output from that. My car (Celica GT4) is only 2 litres (with turbo), and puts out 155kw (210hp), 281 nm (207 ft lbs) torque, and does a max of 250kph, (~140mph), and the standing 0-100kph (60mph), also in 6.9 secs. Now, that's muscle, for an engine that size, and these engines can be tweaked up to over 200kw quite easily. I chose not to. :D

Ok, now thread hijack over...

Matt,
Re the vid ... go light on the horror flicks. That could give one nightmares. No I was refering to one of your pics. Post #48 pics .. the 6th and 8th one down. I see now it's just a step out where the wood is doubbled .. I think. What you did is better than what I was thinking. Re the pic I commented about in post #53 .. I expanded the pic and see what it is.
I'd prefer white tarps .. not flodded in blue light.

Oh there's more to rave about but need to save something for the future. Gotta be honest though .. I like the old name Axe better. But Solstice is nicer.

This one?
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465613033.132059.jpg

That's just me holding a straight edge on my fairing work :)

Al said... "My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-."

Al, sorry, but that's no muscle car...it's just a big sucker, and you'd expect that output from that. My car (Celica GT4) is only 2 litres (with turbo), and puts out 155kw (210hp), 281 nm (207 ft lbs) torque, and does a max of 250kph, (~140mph), and the standing 0-100kph (60mph), also in 6.9 secs. Now, that's muscle, for an engine that size, and these engines can be tweaked up to over 200kw quite easily. I chose not to. :D

Peter..! Please tell me you're not saying your rice burner is a muscle car lol ..!

Matt,
No it's two pics down from that one.
Peters toyo is pretty good muscle. Bout ten times as much as my old Nissan (two litres) w the slipping clutch. I'd prolly love driv'in that toyo.

Last edited:

Peter, Peter. Peter :nonono: - You want to speak of jumping up an engine's hp... Buick 430's can be Jumped to 700 + hp. Upon full rebuild last year; I chose to leave mine stock at 360 hp... just like it came originally out of factory in 1967 :thumb: - LOL Art

Here's one at 600+ hp

hpe-hp80c_xl.jpg

Peter..! Please tell me you're not saying your rice burner is a muscle car lol ..!

Same thing we call them on this side of the pond.

Shame on you Peter bringing for a knife to a gun fight. Rice grinders represent the most efficient means of converting gasoline to noise without that pesky side effect of horsepower. :)

Reactions: Art
Matt,
No it's two pics down from that one.
Peters toyo is pretty good muscle. Bout ten times as much as my old Nissan (two litres) w the slipping clutch. I'd prolly love driv'in that toyo.

Ah ok. Yeah that's the roof frieze? Behind that runs a full length 100x50x3 steel beam that supports the rear roof. I added that so I didn't have to have uprights at the corners from the transom. (Hope that makes sense) on the face I added 20mm ply. All up the fillet is 50mm

Peter, Peter. Peter :nonono: - You want to speak of jumping up an engine's hp... Buick 430's can be Jumped to 700 + hp. Upon full rebuild last year; I chose to leave mine stock at 360 hp... just like it came originally out of factory in 1967 :thumb: - LOL Art

Here's one at 600+ hp

hpe-hp80c_xl.jpg

Nomad Willy;450793 Peters toyo is pretty good muscle. Bout ten times as much as my old Nissan (two litres) w the slipping clutch. I'd prolly love driv'in that toyo.[/QUOTE said:
Below for reference

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465620642.199635.jpg

Reactions: Art
Same thing we call them on this side of the pond.

Shame on you Peter bringing for a knife to a gun fight. Rice grinders represent the most efficient means of converting gasoline to noise without that pesky side effect of horsepower. :)

Hahahaha

sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Ok, if not muscle...let's just say, 'wirey', or lean & mean athletic machine..? ;)

Not to mention that Buicky thing has...gasp...a carburettor, and distributer, and single cams each bank. So old tech. Mine has twin cams, 4 valves per cylinder, fuel injection, and turbo, with (for some reason) a Yamaha head...and yet it is 26 years old...so there... :popcorn:
Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention, it's also 4WD...

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Matt
I could not find a Randell 35 listed, but this 34 seems to have air intakes at the stern. Up as high as possible, utilizing the cavity between the hull and cockpit sides.

Randell used to build in North Fremantle, I once lived within walking distance of their yard. Don't know if they still build, but it might be worthwhile trying to talk to them or their designer about what you are planning.

Hi Mate,
Here are some pics for you. The 2nd last (Black and white one) is SOLSTICE back in the day when she was a working boat

To give you an idea, The floor level of SOLSTICE is now the gunnel height the original boat is (last pic fyi)

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 6697f46_20.jpg
    6697f46_20.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 0205ch0_20.jpg
    0205ch0_20.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 60
  • MHD 342_2521.jpg
    MHD 342_2521.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Heres a couple of randall 35 flybridge models

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 158
Been following your awesome work for a while.

I may have missed it but did you use the original keel but replace everything else? If so why?

Regarding spraying. I learned on a TR6 restoration. Got good advice back then to try my hand at primer because it could always be sanded off if I screwed up. I didn't and 9 coats of hand rubbed lacquer later it looked better than new.

Paints have changed and for boats most want to use a catalyzed epoxy such as Imron or allgrip. These are great coatings but contain very dangerous isocyanates that can mess up your brain. Full suits and forced air supply are a must. Or you can do what I would do today and hire an expert spray gunner by the hour. Spraying is an art not easily mastered and epoxies make hiding repairs much more difficult.

I eagerly wait to see how it turns out.

Been following your awesome work for a while.

I may have missed it but did you use the original keel but replace everything else? If so why?

Hi there.
Yes the only thing kept was the keel, engine and driveline. Why; because the timbers weren't worth keeping and the keel was.

Regarding spraying. I learned on a TR6 restoration. Got good advice back then to try my hand at primer because it could always be sanded off if I screwed up. I didn't and 9 coats of hand rubbed lacquer later it looked better than new.

Paints have changed and for boats most want to use a catalyzed epoxy such as Imron or allgrip. These are great coatings but contain very dangerous isocyanates that can mess up your brain. Full suits and forced air supply are a must. Or you can do what I would do today and hire an expert spray gunner by the hour. Spraying is an art not easily mastered and epoxies make hiding repairs much more difficult.

I eagerly wait to see how it turns out.

Was just curious around how to tackle a boat specifically. I've sprayed cars and other items but never a boat or anything with so many different faces

Matt,
The pics of these "Randall" boats shows much more dead rise to the bottom and 2-3 times as much flare as Solstice. Did you change the cross sectional shape of the hull midships to fwd? Wonder how that coulda happened?
You must have thought if you scrapped the rest of the frame the boat would die and never rise again. But rise she did as no one ever woulda thought.
Thanks for the pics. Did'nt realize there were so many of them. Solstice has more "lineage" than I ever woulda thunk. I thought there were just several like her.

Last edited:
Mate the Randall's were made in timber hulls and fibreglass hulls. They are pretty popular over here. Not sure what you mean about flare and dead rise mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom