Narrowed it down to two, need advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been running 8.2 Detroits for ten years. Currently at about 1500 hours. Not a single problem....ever.
I have zero to give to this thread except; a pal with a 1990 42 Canoe Cove, has 4200 hours on his twin 8.2TIs and like you, has had not one problem in 25 years. He religiously follows the manual and once a year has the mechanic who installed them look and listen. That's it.

Yes, except for the "overblown" head gasket reputation, it's really a nice, solid package. Quiet, big displacement for a lot of grunt, honestly best in class fuel specifics, leak free, and a very mellow exhaust sound to boot. Perfect size for the 35-45' semi-displacement hull....efficient at slow speed with enough power in our 44' hull to make a solid 16+ knots when I want it on occasion...I settle for 13-14 at slightly reduced rpm. Most 8'2s are attached to a Twin Disk transmission....another consideration in drive train selection. Older twin intercooled turbo diesels net an over fueled, off-boost slobbering pig at hull speed... If you want to take the 8.2 from 250 to 220 and arguably gain a little more efficiency...simply downsize the injectors....that's the only difference. I have an unused stockpile of 8.2 spares taking up space in my garage. Haven't touched a one of them in ten years.

Last edited:
We had a DD/J&T 8.2T in our '87 Mainship III. Think it was 220-hp. Had the recall for head-bolt replacement. Ran like a champ during our tenure.

-Chris

Are we about to have another trawler on the Potomac! I imagine we have probably run into each other - I see you are in Woodbridge, and we keep our Tug on the Occoquan. Anyway, just a few thoughts on the boats. First is that one is Canadian flagged. Not sure what that means in terms of import. Second, the Sabre claims it can be run at 15 knots. Our boat can also hit 15, but you are not going to want to run it at those speeds, wide open, very often if at all. Just because it can hit a certain speed, doesn't mean it will like running wide open. Lastly, if you plan to run it in our area for any length of time, as opposed to the ICW trips you mentioned, keep draft in mind. With a draft of about 3.5 feet, we are at just about the most we would be comfortable for local haunts like Belmont. See you on the river!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom