Coot is coming along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark,
what a sturdy looking little ship! I agree- the yellow house top looks great. Problem is, with a color like that, I'd be tempted to add a little bit of black color to make it look like this for the viewing pleasure of any airplanes/helos above you:

But perhaps you are not so inclined to do this to the top of your cabin. :)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 10:03:03 PM

Attachments

• smiley-face.jpg
    smiley-face.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 107
Woodsong, I'm not that imaginative!* Anyway, the bright yellow pilothouse roof is my attempt to make the vessel more*visibile, particularly by aircraft.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 10:20:20 PM

Has anyone noticed the light-tan/yellow forward-cabin roof top?* That's my attempt to reduce glare.* I'm curious how that will work out.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 10:23:52 PM

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 111
Good stuff.
I have the same colour roof top on my wheelhouse.
It used to be a survey requirement in Aus that this top should be painted either International Orange or Signal Yellow.
Makes it easy for the chopper to spot us from above if we are really in the s..t.

Traditional coloured sails will look really good.

Benn

My Coot's sails will look something like this*(shown on a small Diesel*Duck, a passage maker, notice the absence of large saloon windows) but a bit browner.

download

steadying sails colored a red/brown,

Your eyeballs will thank you on every sunny day.

Tanbark sails also resist UV better , but a boom sail cover is still a must.

Full battens , instead of a cut roach will allow the main sail to not flog when powering very close to the wind.

Full battens are worth the extra cost as the sail area can be higher , up high where it counts.

FF wrote:

Tanbark sails also resist UV better , but a boom sail cover is still a must.

Full battens , instead of a cut roach will allow the main sail to not flog when powering very close to the wind.

Full battens are worth the extra cost as the sail area can be higher , up high where it counts.
Both sails have furlers and*roll up along their luffs.* No booms or battens.

Mark, looking great. When is the maiden voyage likely to be, any idea?

Thanks, Peter.* Most likely before the beginning of summer.

Where is the boat now?

Is it in China?

SD

It's at the builder's location in China with estimated completion before the end of this month.* Sails have just been ordered and need to be made.* Interior wood work and various systems (horn, searchlight, instrumentation, stove, refrigerator, etc.) also need to be completed/installed.

jleonard wrote:

It's at the builder's location in China

Ningbo?
No, it's in*Zhuhai, near Hong Kong.

So how do you plan on getting her Stateside?

Would you ever think of trying it on her own bottom?

SD

She will be coming on a ship.* Never seriously considered*having the Coot come here on*its own.* A transpacific voyage is beyond*its practical/safe limits.

I have the survey report of the Coot's loading onto the YM Cypress which contains photos.* I'm unable to copy the photos for posting.* If you wish to see them, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the report with photos to you.

the photos you have posted from time to time where she is on the feeder vessel, for some reason i had the feeling you took those shots yourself?
are you making the voyage with her?

No.* The photos I've posted to date came from the builder.* The latest group of photos which I can't*extract from the surveyor's report, was taken by the independent surveyor.* So to see those photos, you need to directly*receive the entire pdf file which I can send to anyone giving me their email address.

Mate,
The heart rate must be quickening , the time is drawing near.
bet you can't wait.

Thanks to Pineapple Girl who extracted photos from the inspection report, I'm able to present them here.

Note that swim platform is folded up.

The Coot is presently in YM Cypress's hold, somewhere between Taiwan and LA.

Attachments

• coot condition.jpg
    coot condition.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 218
  • coot fastened.jpg
    coot fastened.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 319
  • coot loaded.jpg
    coot loaded.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 288
  • coot loading 2.jpg
    coot loading 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 204
  • coot loading 3.jpg
    coot loading 3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 239
  • coot loading.jpg
    coot loading.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 282
  • coot on steel cradle.jpg
    coot on steel cradle.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 295
  • coot stern.jpg
    coot stern.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 307
The suspense is building. We voyeurs can hardly stand it. Hope that you post not only pictures of the boat upon her arrival, her unloading and afterward, but also of yourselves as you interact with her.

As of May 16, 2011 the YM Cypress was steaming at 24.7 knots off the southern tip of Japan near Kagoshima.

Gees!!!!!* I feel like an expectant father!

Wow! She looks great, Mark! Can't wait to see a pic of your smile when she arrives. Will the delivery be natural or are they going to have to medicate you?

FlyWright wrote:
Wow! She looks great, Mark! Can't wait to see a pic of your smile when she arrives. Will the delivery be natural or are they going to have to medicate you?
*The strongest drug I'm permitted is Melatonin.* Perhaps I should take a triple dose!

that is pretty slick how the swim step folds up.* I hope to see the Coot in real life this summer!

Pineapple Girl wrote:
*I hope to see the Coot in real life this summer!
*Very likely if you transit Carquinez Strait, the gateway to the Delta.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
that is pretty slick how the swim step folds up.*
*Yes, it should be handy considering steep, following waves in the SF Bay/Delta.* I don't like to get pooped!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom