Monitoring Engines with Simrad Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Helmsman 4304
I have heard using third party equipment, to monitor engine vitals is not always a good thing? IE, they don't get along?

I am in the process of planning for a complete electronics upgrade in Q1. I am still doing my due diligence, but Simrad Halo, with the NSO gear is my current choice.

As part of this upgrade, I want to use the Simrad 2K network gear, to monitor 2 year old Volvo D6's. Oil, water, flow rates, and tank levels.

I don't think there are many folks on this board with Volvos, but I was wondering if anyone has done this? Reliable?

Thanks in advance.

A few years ago I connected a D6 via N2K to a Raymarine MFD. I would expect it to work the same way with simrad. There was a Volvo converter box required, but I don't recall the name or part number. But google D6 to nmea2000 and you will probably find it quickly.

Before you settle on Simrad, you should read my blog, especially the Wall of Shame.

TT,

Thanks for the feedback.

I read your blog regarding your Simrad experience a couple years ago. I currently have evo1, 4G and found some of the same problems you noted including Marpa. But I also found my Oem radar install was not entirely correct, so some of it is on me.

In reading other forums, and anything I can find that appears credible, it sounds like they have cleaned up most of these issues up with the new open array Halo.

Still doing my due diligence though.

If you end up with the halo, I'd be very interested to hear how it works, esp with arpa. They do say they have improved it on that platform, and I'm interested to see what that means.

twistedtree,

I don't know if you follow SetSail.com, but Steve Dashew's latest personal FPB (78-1) just launched with two Simrad NSO evo2's, a 4G and a Halo 6ft. Hopefully he'll comment on his experiences with Simrad in general.

twistedtree,

I don't know if you follow SetSail.com, but Steve Dashew's latest personal FPB (78-1) just launched with two Simrad NSO evo2's, a 4G and a Halo 6ft. Hopefully he'll comment on his experiences with Simrad in general.

I look at it occasionally, and saw that mentioned or hinted to somewhere. I love hearing his though process for decision on their builds. I don't particularly care for the boats, but that's why we have different boats for different people.

Simrad has supposedly improved MARPA on the Halo and I'd be interested to see how it performs. Still no fixes for the other radars though, so I'm sure glad I didn't wait. 3-4 months has become a year and a half and counting..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom