Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Eric. The roof does have a slight curvature from port to starboard as well as a 200mm fall from bow to stern at level. Hopefully she'll sit level or the roof fall would have been a waste of time doing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Solstice will be a floating palace when she is finished!

I think that the waterline will be a great unknown until she is splashed. It is not that unusual to ballast a boat to get the correct flotation.

Naval Architect-blah blah blah, it'll never work-blah, blah, blah, the lines are wrong-blah, blah, blah. Seems like they said much the same about airplanes!

For Christ's sake! The man has a vision, a dream and the balls to carry it out. How many of us can say that?

Keep up the great work Matt I can't wait to see her in the water!

Solstice will be a floating palace when she is finished!

I think that the waterline will be a great unknown until she is splashed. It is not that unusual to ballast a boat to get the correct flotation.

Naval Architect-blah blah blah, it'll never work-blah, blah, blah, the lines are wrong-blah, blah, blah. Seems like they said much the same about airplanes!

For Christ's sake! The man has a vision, a dream and the balls to carry it out. How many of us can say that?

Keep up the great work Matt I can't wait to see her in the water!

Thanks Bob. Appreciate your support mate. I like your passion. Wish you were here with me mate! I could do with a helping hand ... I understand and can relate to your frustrations but don't let the comments get to ya. The regulars on here are just concerned and I have always said to give me feedback both good and bad. At the moment it's mostly bad but it comes in waves. Save your energy for trolls. You have my blessing to smash them. Thanks again for your support mate. I really do appreciate it.

Busy day of boat building today. I epoxy filled the starboard bow walk way, toe rail and forward cabin side. I then sanded all of the fillets surrounding the rub rails then I started to fair the superstructure starboard side. Pretty happy. Back in to it tomorrow ???

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383013.539908.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383025.026305.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383050.961985.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383076.615159.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383121.989262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383139.624836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383184.098243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383208.585387.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383233.655177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465383292.659356.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465382995.472789.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465382995.472789.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 49
What's squat mean mate? Originally she was 2.0mtrs wide on the stern. She is now 3.0mtrs wide and 1.8mtrs longer than original length. My concerns are
1.) She won't float (too heavy/unstable)
2.) Engine power won't be enough to move her.

Both concerns can't be answered on land. It's a struggle maintaining positivity for 4 years after pumping so much time and money into her with the constant thought that she may not even float or be stable whilst trying to make her look as nice as I can with no plans or personal boat building exp to lean on. Some days the thoughts creep in more than others. Today is a good day tho!

Matt (Mister Boat Builder)

Over the four year span, I can only imagine your some times recurring trepidations regarding eventual performance of your creation. Artists who paint pictures freehand can only guess what strokes of the brush will create when combined into final outcome (I was at art show just last eve... speaking with and knowing the 91 yr. old artist very well). In this artistic creation of yours you have a bit better handle on the subject of eventual outcome... in that and although you have stretched this boat's canvas to its maximum capability I see these three items especially in your favor for successful outcome:

1. You are sharp as hell in building
2. You started with a real good, proven hull design
3. You have hundred or more semi knowledgeable to really knowledgeable boat owners/designers on TF to help you review and give guidance on sections of build as you progress

Personally... I do not worry for you regarding if your boat will float. In my mind's eye, having done some hull designing during youthful years and having worked on/seen umpteen pleasure boat hulls... it seems clear that your baby will float upright. By the word "squat" I meant somewhat low in the water during standstill due to weight.

Regarding power ratio to boat speed... that will not be known till she's underway. I would say that she will not be a speed demon. I also will say that she should have little to no problem cruising at hull speed. Most economical will probably be just below hull speed by 5 percent or so.

Keep your chin up mate. She will splash, she will float, she will cruise... and I believe... she will become one heck of a revered and well known private-build/restoration pleasure boat phenomenon!

Cheers!! Art :speed boat:

Matt (Mister Boat Builder)

Over the four year span, I can only imagine your some times recurring trepidations regarding eventual performance of your creation. Artists who paint pictures freehand can only guess what strokes of the brush will create when combined into final outcome (I was at art show just last eve... speaking with and knowing the 91 yr. old artist very well). In this artistic creation of yours you have a bit better handle on the subject of eventual outcome... in that and although you have stretched this boat's canvas to its maximum capability I see these three items especially in your favor for successful outcome:

1. You are sharp as hell in building
2. You started with a real good, proven hull design
3. You have hundred or more semi knowledgeable to really knowledgeable boat owners/designers on TF to help you review and give guidance on sections of build as you progress

Personally... I do not worry for you regarding if your boat will float. In my mind's eye, having done some hull designing during youthful years and having worked on/seen umpteen pleasure boat hulls... it seems clear that your baby will float upright. By the word "squat" I meant somewhat low in the water during standstill due to weight.

Regarding power ratio to boat speed... that will not be known till she's underway. I would say that she will not be a speed demon. I also will say that she should have little to no problem cruising at hull speed. Most economical will probably be just below hull speed by 5 percent or so.

Keep your chin up mate. She will splash, she will float, she will cruise... and I believe... she will become one heck of a revered and well known private-build/restoration pleasure boat phenomenon!

Cheers!! Art :speed boat:

Thanks for your support and reassuring words of advice. Puts my mind at ease mate :)

Just what the Dr ordered.

Thanks mate!

Matt,
Now that your project is nearing completion what are you going to do next?
The building of Solstice will be a hard act to follow. Another boat or perhaps a house. My mother (and I partically) designed and built a house. Most of the time I was not at home but my mother had lots of help. I'll never forget the arguments she had w the bricklayer Sam Bosna. He was a master at brick work and fireplaces but she was the artist. She designed the fireplace (heatalator) several times and Sam kept saying "no you can't do that it will not work" So she'd redesign and the'd have another go around. They were both very frustrated but in the end Sam did things he did'nt know he could do and Mom was very happy w her design.
What she knew was right about art conflicted with windows, roofs, floors and other parts of house building. But compromise led to great (or at least) good things.

OK good on your boat roof. Did I say I like the front windows? The forecabin is unconventional (a bit) but I like that as well. Things look a little massive here and there but the overall look is good ... Mom would approve of a lot or even most. But Moms don't know everything even though it seems they do at times. It's been a great project Matt and you've shared it w so many that rode along w you. Don't know anybody that's shared a project quite so beautifully.

Up up and away..! Well not quite but the scaffold went up two levels so I could reach the top of the roof and it's pretty bloody high. It amazes me just how crap of a job I did at applying the jotafair (green stuff for the non boat builders). It looked Schmick then I chucked on some guide coat and rubbed it back with a long board and low spots everywhere ... Great progress today on the 3M Platinum Plus filler tho

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460455.789724.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460465.575118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460475.457480.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460485.942538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460498.212214.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460508.948776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460519.329060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460529.816424.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460543.468184.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465460555.952257.jpg

Matt,
Now that your project is nearing completion what are you going to do next?
The building of Solstice will be a hard act to follow. Another boat or perhaps a house. My mother (and I partically) designed and built a house. Most of the time I was not at home but my mother had lots of help. I'll never forget the arguments she had w the bricklayer Sam Bosna. He was a master at brick work and fireplaces but she was the artist. She designed the fireplace (heatalator) several times and Sam kept saying "no you can't do that it will not work" So she'd redesign and the'd have another go around. They were both very frustrated but in the end Sam did things he did'nt know he could do and Mom was very happy w her design.
What she knew was right about art conflicted with windows, roofs, floors and other parts of house building. But compromise led to great (or at least) good things.

OK good on your boat roof. Did I say I like the front windows? The forecabin is unconventional (a bit) but I like that as well. Things look a little massive here and there but the overall look is good ... Mom would approve of a lot or even most. But Moms don't know everything even though it seems they do at times. It's been a great project Matt and you've shared it w so many that rode along w you. Don't know anybody that's shared a project quite so beautifully.

Hey Eric.
What will i do after this... Hmm go to a few appointments at the physio for fix my back and legs from building this thing on my own lol.

After that I'll be fussing around with SOLSTICE for a while no doubt.

No projects on the immediate horizon however Felicity has a dream car. It's a 1964 EH Holden so I might buy one and help her restore it.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465461015.230826.jpg

My dream car is a 1974 HQ GTS Monaro LS so we could do two car builds together

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465461051.401763.jpg

If we win the lotto we have said we will buy a bus, deck it out as a live aboard and drive around Australia

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465461232.790568.jpg

Hey Eric.
What will i do after this... Hmm go to a few appointments at the physio for fix my back and legs from building this thing on my own lol.

After that I'll be fussing around with SOLSTICE for a while no doubt.

No projects on the immediate horizon however Felicity has a dream car. It's a 1964 EH Holden so I might buy one and help her restore it.

View attachment 52904

My dream car is a 1974 HQ GTS Monaro LS so we could do two car builds together

View attachment 52905

If we win the lotto we have said we will buy a bus, deck it out as a live aboard and drive around Australia

View attachment 52906

I feel those 2 cars would cost you dearly, even as a doer upper. I have an old Datsun 1600 in the shed and even they are starting to bring 16K now :eek:

I feel those 2 cars would cost you dearly, even as a doer upper. I have an old Datsun 1600 in the shed and even they are starting to bring 16K now :eek:

Yes sir. Last time I looked a good original HQ Monaro "fixer uperer" costs around $20,000. The EH around $15,000.

I spent $70k rebuilding my HZ one tonner back in the day and sold it for less than half.

More importantly how did you and your family and friends fare with the floods down there mate?

Matt, I couldn't imagine having your project tied up at my dock. I was overwhelmed several times with the Rose and I only did maybe 25% of what your doing. We, the guy doing the fiberglass and myself purchasing the fiberglass put about.
1. 5-8 rolls of matt
2. 1 roll of woven
3. I would estimate 150 gallons of resin? I really have no idea just guestamating
4. 100 gallons of gel coat
5. 1/2 gallon of bondo
6. Oh yea about 30# of cavocill

With all that the Rose sank about 1"
"Ding Ding" the painter would have still been out there if I didn't shut him down. He was is a perfectionist and I am a man of limited funds. I set goals every day, we fill, sand and paint from here to here on this day and from here to here on this day. It took a while but only then did I feel like I was working past this funk I was in (paying) not working through the fairing of the boat.
I love the boat and progress looks great. Keep it up

Yes sir. Last time I looked a good original HQ Monaro "fixer uperer" costs around $20,000. The EH around $15,000.

I spent $70k rebuilding my HZ one tonner back in the day and sold it for less than half.

More importantly how did you and your family and friends fare with the floods down there mate?

Thanks for asking.

I was away working up in India (still here) when they had the floods. The rain was mainly up north of the state so didn't worry us southerners as much. From all accounts and reports my boat is still nice and safe :D
I think the wife had to move quite a few of our horses though as the river flats where we keep them are rather prone to flooding in bad weather.

I love the shape of the old Monaro's and the old Chargers looked pretty good too :)

Matt, I couldn't imagine having your project tied up at my dock. I was overwhelmed several times with the Rose and I only did maybe 25% of what your doing. We, the guy doing the fiberglass and myself purchasing the fiberglass put about.
1. 5-8 rolls of matt
2. 1 roll of woven
3. I would estimate 150 gallons of resin? I really have no idea just guestamating
4. 100 gallons of gel coat
5. 1/2 gallon of bondo
6. Oh yea about 30# of cavocill

With all that the Rose sank about 1"
"Ding Ding" the painter would have still been out there if I didn't shut him down. He was is a perfectionist and I am a man of limited funds. I set goals every day, we fill, sand and paint from here to here on this day and from here to here on this day. It took a while but only then did I feel like I was working past this funk I was in (paying) not working through the fairing of the boat.
I love the boat and progress looks great. Keep it up

Hey mate.
I would go through my receipts and add up how much resign and fillers I've added but a lot got sanded off so would be hard to tell.

Now; Painting the boat. How did you do it?

I'll be spraying but it'll have to be done in sections. That'll be a massive job. I'm quietly scared about doing it tbh

Thanks for asking.

I was away working up in India (still here) when they had the floods. The rain was mainly up north of the state so didn't worry us southerners as much. From all accounts and reports my boat is still nice and safe :D

I think the wife had to move quite a few of our horses though as the river flats where we keep them are rather prone to flooding in bad weather.

I love the shape of the old Monaro's and the old Chargers looked pretty good too :)

Ok good to hear. Saw some footage on the news and it looked pretty bad.

Never been to tassie so have no idea on size. It's on the to do list. Flic wants to go holiday there.

Ok good to hear. Saw some footage on the news and it looked pretty bad.

Never been to tassie so have no idea on size. It's on the to do list. Flic wants to go holiday there.

Devonport was bad, it took away some of the marina there plus some boats. Tassie is not big but takes a long time if you want to drive around it lol.

Hit me up if you come down this way and can have a beer or three plus head out on the boat if you like :)

Love the way you are progressing with yours and I don't think you have much to worry about with the top heavy bit. It looks like the engine will be sitting well down in the water plus with all the fuel/water etc you should be looking pretty good.

Last edited:
Devonport was bad, it took away some of the marina there plus some boats. Cassie is not big but takes a long time if you want to drive around it lol.

Hit me up if you come down this way and can have a beer or three plus head out on the boat if you like :)

Love the way you are progressing with yours and I don't think you have much to worry about with the top heavy bit. It looks like the engine will be sitting well down in the water plus with all the fuel/water etc you should be looking pretty good.

Oh yeah definitely will mate. Would be great..Thanks!

Thanks for the support mate. Hopefully you're on the money. Thanks again; I Appreciate it.

Matt,
That pic of a car in post #2530 (with the yellow woman blocking the view) looks very very much like a 1962 Buick. Like the US cars w that windshield must be dificult to build. Wonder if it was built ion the Chev Nova platform of the day. Engine could be the Chev 4cyl to the aluminum Buick V8. Better choice would be the Chev 6.
Having sold my 73 Buick I'm fresh out of old sedans. Unless 87 is old.

Matt,
That pic of a car in post #2530 (with the yellow woman blocking the view) looks very very much like a 1962 Buick. Like the US cars w that windshield must be dificult to build. Wonder if it was built ion the Chev Nova platform of the day. Engine could be the Chev 4cyl to the aluminum Buick V8. Better choice would be the Chev 6.
Having sold my 73 Buick I'm fresh out of old sedans. Unless 87 is old.

Hi Eric,
You're right mate it does. Are the buicks as expensive over there as the EH's are over here?

Here's a link to the EH. I think the Buick is a tad bigger?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_EH

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465519237.257945.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465519237.257945.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 74
Tad bigger .... ?
Oh no Matt ..... much bigger.
That ragtop in the pic had a 401 cu. in. engine w a 10.5-1 compression ratio.
But that's exactly the Buick I was refering too.
I love the simple and plain smaller cars of the early days .. 50's, 60's and 70's. I had a wonderful Corvair Monza Coupe 4 speed, white w red interior. I foolishly traded it (and everything else I owned) for a Jag roadster. Not simple or plain.

The Holden looks like a plain jane Chev Monza or very early Falcon.

Thanks for the link about the Holden.

bigguss,
Is that Datsun a roadster? I have an 87 Stanza. I think it has a 4cyl version of the original Z car engine. Has two spark plugs per cyl. Love the car.

Last edited:
I had a Datsun SSS Stanza. That thing was a bomb haha. Bought I for $50.00. Had it for two years and sold it to the car wreckers for $100.00 haha.

Funny story about that car; back in the day when I was an apprentice, I was driving down the highway when I heard a crumbling noise. I looked in my rear view mirror and couldnt see out as the hoodlining had fallen down. I pulled over at the petrol station and got out to fix it. When I got out the roof had rusted off the top of the rear window and fallen down into the car haha. I had some duct tape so I pushed the roof up and the rear window down so the rusted section sat on top of the window and then taped it up. It stayed like that for about 6 months before I finally got rid of it lol.

Tad bigger .... ?
Oh no Matt ..... much bigger.
That ragtop in the pic had a 401 cu. in. engine w a 10.5-1 compression ratio.
But that's exactly the Buick I was refering too.
I love the simple and plain smaller cars of the early days .. 50's, 60's and 70's. I had a wonderful Corvair Monza Coupe 4 speed, white w red interior. I foolishly traded it (and everything else I owned) for a Jag roadster. Not simple or plain.

The Holden looks like a plain jane Chev Monza or very early Falcon.

Thanks for the link about the Holden.

bigguss,
Is that Datsun a roadster? I have an 87 Stanza. I think it has a 4cyl version of the original Z car engine. Has two spark plugs per cyl. Love the car.

Hey Nomad
No it may of been sold in US as a Datsun 510 but not sure. They were very popular as a rally car here for many years in the 70's. I don't have a photo of our's here but will take one when I am home next. Its all original and in great condition. The father in law has a nice Chevy Impala plus quite a few old Humber's tucked away :)

Hi Eric,
You're right mate it does. Are the buicks as expensive over there as the EH's are over here?

Here's a link to the EH. I think the Buick is a tad bigger?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_EH

Depending on restored condition: 1962 Buick Electra 225 such as this goes from $25K to $45K... or even up to $59K if correct buyer can be found. Yes, considerably larger with much bigger/more-powerful gasoline engine.

My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-.

Power windows, seat etc...freezer cold AC: Our Luxo Muscle Car

Attachments

• 67 Wildcat & Art.jpg
    67 Wildcat & Art.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Matt-love your pictures! BTW-does Flic know you have a real boat in your backyard?

I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.

Depending on restored condition: 1962 Buick Electra 225 such as this goes from $25K to $45K... or even up to $59K if correct buyer can be found. Yes, considerably larger with much bigger/more-powerful gasoline engine.

My 1967 Buick wildcat weighs in at 4,400 lbs dry weight. 360 hp 430 cid nearly 500 ft. lbs. torque. 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec. Top end 140 mph +/-.

Power windows, seat etc...freezer cold AC: Our Luxo Muscle Car

What's that ugly growth hanging off the side of the White 67' .. lol :p

Matt-love your pictures! BTW-does Flic know you have a real boat in your backyard?

I wonder if Tad ever checks out this thread? He maybe could offer an opinion on stability.

She knows. I talk about it often enough lol but it's not in the back yard mate. SOLSTICE is an hour round trip away from me, besides I'm too fussy to let anyone else work on the fairing just yet. The interior is where Flic will get involved.

Re: stability, like the Art and Biggie and the other boys have said we're pretty confident she'll be ok. I have a lot of weight down low compared to the top. Hindsight I'd have bought the superstructure walls in closer so timber could span without steel bearers and I'd have made the roof lower and blown the beam out a bit but I'm happy to put this issue to bed now.

Last edited:
Well that's it for this week folks. Today was a late start due to car alarm issues getting fixed. Once I got here I started sanding and fair the roof frieze and the fillets between the frieze and the superstructure. While I was waiting for the filler to dry I went down to the engine room and cleaned up a bit after cutting in the engine air intake. I was looking for more sandpaper for the longboard so ended up sorting out my sandpaper because I am an ocd freak but realised I ran out of 120grit so used some discs on the longboard in the interim. I routered the window openings and did some more filler and sanding and so on and so on till now that Eddie the Eagle says it's beer thirty so yeah. That's it for today and for this week. Have a great weekend all and we'll kick it off on Monday.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551067.693922.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551080.313561.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551094.482180.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551106.583315.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551119.400584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551134.102550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551149.588177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551163.540124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551185.458486.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551198.195896.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551210.479929.jpg

I also tested out the down lights now that it's dark and they pump out a decent amount of light I think.

I've tilted the rear LEDs to light up the Marlin board and reckon they look great.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551323.329219.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465551336.164776.jpg

Love the lighting. Bout time you got back to boat building, was afraid you lost interest and turned to panel beating.

Back
Top Bottom