TN River cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday around mm 57 .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 115
Tony, thanks for all the information you passed to me. It's been helpful. The train ride is on the bucket list for sure. Every time I walk on someone else's boat I get new ideas. Hope you don't mind if I borrow some of yours.

We are leaving out this morning for Guntersville. There for a day or so before moving on.

I am glad to share whatever info I have. feel free to borrow any ideas you want.
Hopefully, we will meet up again. Have a great trip.
Once you get near Chattanooga and beyond, the view from the river dramatically changes for the better.
Coming from the coast, it's hard to fathom the thought that you drove your boat from the Gulf of Mexico up into the Appalachian Mtns.
Be safe and have a blast.

Left Joe a Wheeler State park this morning around 8:30am. It was a great place to stay and meet several great new boat friends. Tonight we made it to Gunterville after many miles of great travel. There are several great sights along the way including painted rock. In Guntersville we are staying at the city dock which is (did I mention) free. No services here such as fuel or pump out but a really nice dock and it's Free! We had read and been told that there was very limited power here. We first docked on the long side of the L shaped dock fully expecting to run the generator all night as we need 50amp service to plug into. Once I walked the dock I discovered a 250v 50 outlet at the toe of the dock. We walked the boat around the corner and plugged in and instant shore power. This is a really nice dock for free!

We walked a few blocks into downtown Gunterville and discovered a small restaurant called "Old Town Stock House". The food was wonderful. Cheryl and I have eaten all over the U.S. and this was as good as any restaurant we have eaten in, including may celebrity chef's places. The young lady that owns and is the chef is CSA trained and had worked in many restruants in New York and Atlanta. All I can say is that Guntersville, you have a winner here and it's seems to be a secret until now. I encourage anyone traveling through to stop in and try both the City dock's out and the "Old Town Stock House" out for a try.

Left Joe a Wheeler State park this morning around 8:30am. It was a great place to stay and meet several great new boat friends. Tonight we made it to Gunterville after many miles of great travel. There are several great sights along the way including painted rock. In Guntersville we are staying at the city dock which is (did I mention) free. No services here such as fuel or pump out but a really nice dock and it's Free! We had read and been told that there was very limited power here. We first docked on the long side of the L shaped dock fully expecting to run the generator all night as we need 50amp service to plug into. Once I walked the dock I discovered a 250v 50 outlet at the toe of the dock. We walked the boat around the corner and plugged in and instant shore power. This is a really nice dock for free!

We walked a few blocks into downtown Gunterville and discovered a small restaurant called "Old Town Stock House". The food was wonderful. Cheryl and I have eaten all over the U.S. and this was as good as any restaurant we have eaten in, including may celebrity chef's places. The young lady that owns and is the chef is CSA trained and had worked in many restruants in New York and Atlanta. All I can say is that Guntersville, you have a winner here and it's seems to be a secret until now. I encourage anyone traveling through to stop in and try both the City dock's out and the "Old Town Stock House" out for a try.

Capt. Jon,

If you are going to be in Guntersville a day or so stop by Hammer's the big store downtown. Unbelievable! They may not have anything you want, but they will have plenty of it.

I have to drive up near the Hiwasee River tomorrow to pick up my travel trailer to move it back to storage in Cleveland. Our Riverbend Festival starts Friday night, and runs about 9 days. The waterfront will be a zoo. If you do get a spot on the city docks, let me know. We can meet up, and I can take you any place you need to go.

Tony is right. From Nickajack up is the best cruising on the Tennessee. So enjoy what we have to offer. I love it up here.

Moonstruck, we will check it out on the way back south this fall. I think this place needs to be a several day excursion next time through.

We heard that there is no room at the inn during the river festival. We also heard they auctioned off the slips in the city space for charity. Since we will be coming through that way during the weekend we figured we'd wait until the trip back this fall to stop.

If it gets better than this after Nickajack then it must be awesome! This has been a great trip so far! Only complaint is after 15 locks I'm glad they are getting further apart and that's not really a complaint. We have enjoyed every minute of it!!! Only 4 more to go to our final destination!

Back
Top Bottom