Marine Composting toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Murraym- I Have not installed the vent pipe yet. On the "to do" list but since we have not had any issues, keeps getting moved down. Will start with passive into ER and go from there when needed.

Thanks for the update KneeDeep...the C-Head appeals to my low budget, frugal, no bling, why chuck a thousand bucks of whiz bang technology at something when it doesn't need it sensibilities. Will do some more research on the C-Head :thumb:

"Whether it's an "issue of concern" in your waters or not, it's still illegal."

Perhaps, but releasing CO2 is a big concern for the EPA , yet I have no intention to stop breathing.

Reactions: Art
Here's what the Ministry of the Environment in British Columbia has to say about waste disposal from pleasure craft in BC's marine waters...bear in mind this is for both solid and liquid waste....

Thanks for posting that (I've saved it to my files) and I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Canadian law mimics US law which only allows the discharge (defined as "includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pouring, pumping, emitting, emptying, or dumping") of TREATED waste from a CG certified device in coastal waters....which makes emptying a urine jug over the side illegal here. However, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people here from doing it anyway.

Hi Peggy,

That was the BC Ministry of Environments interpretation, which may be misleading. I'll try to find the federal governments wording on this after work.

WhaT EveR YoU DO!... DON'T PEE WHILE SWIMMING!! :eek:

Feds have under water cameras on submarine waterproof-drones cruising around all over the place now... slightly yellow water while swimming is $500 fine. Very yellow water can exceed $1000 and a few days under strict ankle bracelet bathroom arrest. I understand some bays' police are also requiring black tank clean out work if caught peeing in their bay while swimming.

The way they tag you for proof in a court hearing is by having measured your toes with special camera lens. The video in court for proving your "swim-pee" culpability requires you to remove shoes at whiteness stand with bailiff measuring your toes by using a micrometer.

Those who wear fins while swimming never get caught - I'm safe as hell!

Be Afraid - Be Very Afraid! Of completing any bodily functions outside of federally designated confines!

WTF :facepalm:

We have two composting toilets on our new to us boat. I appreciate not having a holding tank but the toilets aren't maintenance free. If you use them regularly they will fill up quickly. Almost instantly of several friends are aboard and drinking. And if the urine compartment overflows it's a mess. As has been pointed out, solid waste is mostly water so unless you keep enough peat moss in there, it could leak around handle joints or elsewhere. Recently little fruit flies have started breeding in one of the solid waste containers. They tickle a little...and I'm looking for a solution to get rid of them but not kill good bacteria. Our toilets are plumbed into the engine room vent fan so if the fan is on it is drawing a small amount of air from each solid waste container but most of it from the engine room. Overall I'm happy with our composting toilets. Our problems have been operator error. We plan on giving them another six months and reevaluating.

We have two composting toilets on our new to us boat. I appreciate not having a holding tank but the toilets aren't maintenance free. If you use them regularly they will fill up quickly. Almost instantly of several friends are aboard and drinking. And if the urine compartment overflows it's a mess. As has been pointed out, solid waste is mostly water so unless you keep enough peat moss in there, it could leak around handle joints or elsewhere. Recently little fruit flies have started breeding in one of the solid waste containers. They tickle a little...and I'm looking for a solution to get rid of them but not kill good bacteria. Our toilets are plumbed into the engine room vent fan so if the fan is on it is drawing a small amount of air from each solid waste container but most of it from the engine room. Overall I'm happy with our composting toilets. Our problems have been operator error. We plan on giving them another six months and reevaluating.

From what I remember reading on the Cruisers Forum, see my earlier post, peak moss has bugs and people were using coir as the drying media. Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Kempf-Compressed-Growing-Potting-10-Pound/dp/B003MOD2HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465336393&sr=8-1&keywords=coir.

The coir blocks are a bit more work in that they have to be broken up a bit and some moisture added to get the media to expand but a few coir blocks are supposed to last a very long time and be bug less. Checking over on Cruisers Forum might help you out.

Later,
Dan

On the subject of flies...the following is from the C-Head site. (*Can't vouch for the accuracy, but this is what they have to say about it)

"An occasional problem with composting toilets is fruit flies, sewer flies and house flies.
Here again, the C-Head excels over it's competitors in eliminating this problem. All of these pests develop because they need moist
fermenting waste to lay their eggs in. Once they become established, the source must be thoroughly cleaned. This problem is avoided
with the C-Head for several reasons. One, the C-Head is emptied more often, removing the waste from the home and any eggs and
larva before they can hatch. Two, The C-Head is a dehydrating system removing the moisture needed to support the eggs and which
facilitates the removal of almost all of the medium when emptied. Three, the C-Head housing will accommodate a "No-Pest" strip
that kill any insects that enter the toilet."

FAQ

I've heard a pet collar for flees works. Just cut really small chunks off and drop in occasionally. Sounds logical to me. Clivus Multrum was the orig compost tottie I learned of from early 1970's. Nelson Rockefeller's daughter was the one who did much promo back then in New England. Never really took off from what I know.

WhaT EveR YoU DO!... DON'T PEE WHILE SWIMMING!! :eek::

You are right, Art. I was peeing in the pool the other day when the life guard yelled at me so loudly I nearly fell in.

Last edited:
I am not convinced. Flush. Flush. Flush. Pump out and no worries. I gave up camping a long time ago.

This is that kind of thread.

When did this forum become a junior high school boys locker room???

Minute we boys began posting! :rofl:

Pure n' simple - - > No matter if it's 1816, 1916, 0r 2016 . fact is... Boys will be Boys!

But, You Knew that. :popcorn:

Hi Peggy,

Found the following on page 52 of a Transport Canada PDF;

"Prevent Pollution

The Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations address major
risks to the health of our waterways and shorelines such as sewage,
garbage and hydrocarbons. Sewage contains, among other things, human
or animal body waste, drainage and other waste from toilets.

Sewage Management Solutions

The Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations require that
boats fitted with toilets be equipped with either a holding tank, a marine
sanitation device or temporary storage. Make sure you comply.
Many sewage management equipment and solutions exist. Choose sewage
management equipment that works for you.

Holding Tanks

A holding tank collects and stores sewage or sewage sludge. Remember
you must empty it at approved pump-out facilities on dry land only. Make
sure to follow pumping instructions and avoid using disinfectants that may
be harmful to the environment.

Marine Sanitation Devices

A marine sanitation device is designed to receive and treat sewage on
board. Only sewage treated with a marine sanitation device that meets the
standards set out in the regulations may be discharged in inland waters.

Temporary Storage

A porta pottie is considered a temporary storage. The only vessels that may
use temporary storage on board are those that:
• are under 15 GT;
• carry no more that 15 persons;
• do not operate on inland waters."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

So, the desiccating toilets discussed here would be considered 'temporary storage' by Transport Canada and okay in pleasure craft under 15 tons.

Found the following on page 5 in this PDF on a Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue website;

"Untreated sewage may be discharged not less than three nautical miles from shore.

If it is not practicable to comply with the three nautical mile requirement because the ship is located in waters that are less than 6 nautical miles from shore to shore, the discharge can be made while the ship is en route at a speed of at least 4 knots or, if it is not practicable at that speed, at the fastest practicable speed,

(a) Into the deepest waters that are located the farthest from shore during an ebb tide, or

(b) Into the deepest and fastest moving waters that are located the farthest from shore."

http://ccga-pacific.org/files/library/06-07_Pleasure_Craft_Sewage_Oct_30,2007.pdf

It appears Canadian laws are somewhat more relaxed than US laws regarding waste from pleasure craft, which makes sense, because Canada has 10% of your population and probably 10 times more coastline than the continental US.

Last edited:
"When did this forum become a junior high school boys locker room???"

Most boys in todays JHS locker room have decided

"Some days you feel like being a Girl"

And are showering with the girls.

You're right Peggie. Better start exercising your title, ok..? :D

Control of the classroom has been lost!

Murray....that PDF seems to be just suggestions for how to comply with the regulations set forth in The Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations Do you have a link to that?

Ted...without actually having read those regulations, based on the first document Murrary posted, I'm 99% certain that the PuraSan does also meet its requirements.

So, the desiccating toilets discussed here would be considered 'temporary storage' by Transport Canada and okay in pleasure craft under 15 tons.

No. Anything that's designed to be carried off the boat to empty it or can be poured over the side, is temporary storage. Portable portapotties are temporary storage... However, any storage device that's designed to be permanently installed and/or is fitted for pumpout is not. So neither holding tanks nor "MSD" version portapotties--which are even legal on Canada's inland waters--are temporary storage...and neither are dessicators because they aren't devices designed to be removed to empty them. However, the urine jugs definitely ARE "temporary" storage.

Btw..."15 gross tons" does not mean the weight of the boat...it was originally the max number of "tuns" (wine casks) a boat could carry but the definition has evolved over the years... I think you'll find that most of vessels owned by members of this forum far exceed 15 gross tons. Once upon a time I had a document in my files that explains how to arrive at your vessel's gross tonnage...if I can find it, I'll post it here.

Last edited:
It was easier to find than I expected...y'all are gonna love it: :)

Tonnage has nothing to do with the weight of your boat. It is a measure of how much wine a vessel can carry.

The word "tun" was originally a size of a cask used to ship wine from Spain & Portugal to England. In 1347 a tax of 3 shillings per tun was imposed and this was called "tonnage." A ship's size became known by the number of casks it could carry, and the word tonnage started being used to describe a ship's size.

It was found that if you took the length x the breadth x the depth of the hold under the deck and divided by 100 it was close to the number of casks. That is where we get the "Measurement ton" of 100 cubic feet per ton.

There are several kinds of tonnage: The first two are used by the tax collector. The next two are used by designers. The fifth and sixth are used by freight salesmen and canal operators and the last one is used by the USCG for documenting boats.

Gross Tonnage - is the internal volume in cubic feet of the vessel minus certain spaces above the main or "tonnage" deck, like stacks and ventilators, which are called "exemptions" .

Net Registered Tonnage - is obtained by deducting from the gross tonnage the volume of space that can't be used for paying cargo or passengers, that is to say the space occupied by the engines, the crew's quarter, the stores, etc.

Displacement Tonnage - is the actual weight of the water "displaced" by the ship and is usually quoted in long tons of 2240 lbs.

Light Displacement Tonnage - is the weight with nothing in it.

Loaded Displacement Tonnage - is the fully loaded weight to the maximum and is on her summer draft in salt water.

Deadweight Tonnage - is the difference between Light and Loaded Displacement Tonnage....the actual carrying capacity of the vessel.

Panama & Suez Canal Tonnages - these are different from the internationally accepted definitions. There used to be a lot of variations between countries and the canal owners thought they were being conned, so they came up with their own definitions.

Simplified Measurement System - The USCG decided that all this was way too much for bureaucrats to deal with for yachts so they came up with their own formula:

Take the horizontal distance between the outboard ends of the boat not including rudders and bow sprits. Multiply that by the maximum beam outside to outside.
Multiply that by the distance from the sheer line not including bulwarks or cap rails to the outside bottom of the hull not including the keel.
Add the volume of the deck house/cabin top. Multiply by .5 for sailboats and .67 for power boats.
Divide by 100.

This will give you the "Gross Tonnage". Net tonnage is 90% of gross for sailboats and 80% for power boats.

It should be obvious to anyone who's managed to get this far that your boat's "tonnage" no longer has anything to do with anything real; it only exists in the mind of some government bureaucrat.

And a bit of fun trivia:
Rummage was the manner in which the wine casks were stored in the hold of the ship and came to refer to the whole ship's cargo. after a voyage any unclaimed and damaged cargo was stacked on the dock beside the boat and offered for sale - a rummage sale. another word of French maritime origin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Peggie - Your Post 56 - Holy crap! Copied and recorded... just for S&G!

The same way I got it! :D

Interesting...
Here, in the land of enlightenment - other than when dealing with boat toilets that is - we use metric tonnes, which is an actual weight of 1000kg.
Our travel-lifts can usually tell you what your boat weighs in metric tonnes. I must ask next time. Last time I did it was out of order. I believe mine's about 9 tonne.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom