Antifreeze/coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
Just curious, any preference on brand of antifreeze/coolant used on a Diesel engine? Have been recommended to use alliance but cannot find local distributor. Have seen some brands specifically for use in diesels. I have a Perkins t6.3544m engine. Ready for coolant change since it's been 3 years since last changed.
As always, all thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated!
Love this TF!!!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I asked at Tacoma Diesel what coolant for my FL 120 and was told any of the green ones, the engine dos not care.

Same from American Diesel for Lehman 120s, any of the green is fine.

Same for Perkins t6.3544m then too?
No, not necessarily...I only caught that after posting my reply too.

But it may go to reason that many older, lower powered diesels of certain design are a long way from modern diesels requiring high tech coolant.

Best to double check past the "old iron" theory.....

Vahavela

What says your operator's manual?

For my CATs I use CAT Extended Life Coolant.

OP is asking about his Perkins t6.3544m.

Hmm, The OP's first sentence reads "Just curious, any preference on brand of antifreeze/coolant used on a Diesel engine."

His question is pretty generic although he does eventually disclose his engine brand. My reading is that although he has Perkins, and wants to know what to use, he's also curious as to what others do as well.

Maybe I should have been more specific... my operators manual is not specific about what to use but talk around my marina is to use coolant pre-charged with sca's to help prevent cavitation in the lining of the coolant system.
I'll check with TAD later today and see what their recommendations might be and get back to you all on this.
Thank-you for your replies!

Maybe I should have been more specific... my operators manual is not specific about what to use but talk around my marina is to use coolant pre-charged with sca's to help prevent cavitation in the lining of the coolant system.
I'll check with TAD later today and see what their recommendations might be and get back to you all on this.
Thank-you for your replies!

Engines are not my strong point....stronger on operating them than servicing.

But for my own...I do my homework.

There are some engines that are susceptible to the cavitation issue you are hearing about. My truck engine is one of them. My boat engine is not.

Different designs, different compression, etc..etc.

The most knowledgeable people I could find said use great coolant for my truck...any coolant at all for the Fl 120.

So do a bit of homework from the manufacturers, their authorized dealers or representatives, and or the best of the best mechanics around.

Some dock talk and some here ion TF is urban legend as it takes a good idea and it just keeps going and going till the original premise is not even relevant anymore.

Great info come and goes out of here as long as you make sure it works for you.

"There are some engines that are susceptible to the cavitation issue you are hearing about. My truck engine is one of them. My boat engine is not."

YES!

If you have a 30- year old tractor motor the chances are the cylinders are not steel cylinders , exposed to the coolant.

If its a fairly modern truck marinization , chances are you will need SCA in the coolant.

How the engine is built decides.

For the modern engine using a 2 part cleanser is a requirement before the coolant change , and using strips to be sure the SCA level is just right is required during operation..

For the old boat motors in non freezing use 35% antifreez is all thats required , the rest,, Distilled Water.

Always thought it was red coolant for alloy blocks and alloy radiators and green for cast iron ?

Can't really go by color....they are all over the map now.

Our really good tech guy RickB posted (and maybe others through the years) a color chart of different antifreeze and their uses/properties.

Maybe a search will help or someone might have saved it...but if you are not a diesel mechanic, generally all you need is what kind your engine likes and what the label says.

A diesel mechanic that I trust (did his apprenticeship at Perkins in the 60s) recommended Cat Extended Life coolant for my Perkins HT6-354 when we rebuilt it (at 20,000 hours). Since I sold that boat it has done the loop three times from Lake Huron and been as far south as Honduras, problem free.

Attachments

• ENGINE EEEEE.jpg
    ENGINE EEEEE.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I just spoke with Janet at TAD and she checked with tech guy who recommended no specific brand by name but said the orange with aluminum inhibitors. Will check at local auto parts stores and see what I can come up with.

I changed the coolant in my engines (Perkins 4-236s) shortly after buying the boat last year. I had overheating issues in my starb. engine even after replacing the impeller. So I began digging into the heat exchanger, thermostat, head tank etc. What I found was some crystalline/gelatinous substance blocking the entrance to the exchanger. I have talked to several other mechanics and found that mixing long life coolant with regular green coolant can cause a reaction causing this. After speaking to the previous owner he said he thinks he did use some long life coolant in it and added it to whatever was in there before. My recommendation is to use one or the other and do not mix them. My Perkins has aluminum head tank, bronze cooler and cast iron block, head and exhaust. I'm going to use regular green and watch for any loss of aluminum in head tank. If I find any, I will most likely switch to long life coolant after a good flushing of the engine. I don't expect to find any though.

Kevin

Buy the long term diesel stuff and use test strips to check it. At the average Boater's usage and using the test strips, you might not need to change it ever again, certainly not while you are the owner

OP is asking about his Perkins t6.3544m.

I'm not sure what that engine crosses over to on the cat side but i can tell you all the Perkins built cat stuff uses cat elc with no issues. If you use green make sure it'sthe hd green thats for diesel engines. Cat deac is also a good std coolant. One thing to remember is if the engine never came with an extended life coolant do not use it. Extended life coolants have been known to attach orings that are not compatible.

Coolants can be divided into 3 types.

• 1. Conventional
    2. OAT (Organic Acid Technology)
    3. Hybrid (also called HOAT)

OAT & Hybrid are long life coolants.
Conventional and OAT cannot be mixed.
Hybrid can be mixed with either of the others.

The color is determined by what dye the manufacturer uses. It will not tell you what type of coolant it is. I use a Hybrid coolant which is green. Conventional coolant is sometimes green, sometimes yellow. OAT coolant can be any color.

In regard to cavitation issues with some diesels, check to see if the coolant is manufactured to ASTM D6210-10. This standard (which was developed by John Deere engines) ensures the coolant has the cavitation protection required.

Last edited:
There are two types of antifreeze. Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol. Do not interchange. Stay with the one you started with. Also there are "Heavy Duty" and "Extended Life" additive mixes. You should consult you diesel manufacture before using these types.
For example: Northern Lights strongly advises against using extended life mixes. They recommend the cheap green stuff. (Prestone). They have found that the extended life eats seals and "O" rings.

Lots of good input here. I have been a marine engine dealer, and since the modern engines are likely to have a wider variety of metals in the cooling system, they do require more corrosion protection from the coolant, compared to the older engines. For current production engines, I would absolutely follow the owner's manual recommendation on brand and service cycle. For older engines Brian at American Diesel, or Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia are two very excellent resources.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom