View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #496
N4061
Guru

Slighly Off Topic

Our First Boat

While the following may be a little “out of the norm” for TF I decided to make this post in memory of a very special person who served his country proud during the Korea war and taught me how to work hard and follow my dreams.
Today I attended my dad’s funeral on the north shore of Long Island, NY and said my final goodbyes. Besides being a great father and family man he taught me how to fish and when I was 15 years old he purchased us our first boat (16’ tri-hull with 50hp outboard). I can still remember the day he drove me to the dealership (without mentioning he had purchased the boat) walked me into the showroom and asked if I would like this boat. No words can express my level of excitement and gratitude as I crawled all over the boat.
I recall the first time we took the boat out on the Great South Bay of Long Island. It was a late afternoon and dad had just got home from work. We planned to just take the boat out for our first test run as we raced the sunset and set a direct course for Fire Island inlet. We weren’t half way there when we ended up in six inches of water in the middle of the bay. What we lacked in navigation skills we made up with enthusiasm, adventure and eventually experience.
The first month we owned the boat dad had to spend three long weeks in Guam to support the refugee evacuations during the final days of the Vietnam War. While he was gone my best friend and I spent one entire night camping out in the boat as it sat on its trailer in our driveway. I probably took the boat cover off and on every few days just to be able to sit inside our new boat. Soon after dad returned, we took the boat out for a full day of fishing and clamming. It didn’t take us long to develop a routine where I would prepare the boat for trips, dad would trailer it to the marina, we would launch it together and upon returning home he would clean the fish while I washed the boat. We were a great team and worked well together.
We used that little boat almost year round for three years for fishing, clamming, water skiing and just cruising around both shores of Long Island. I remember one of our best winter flounder fishing trips took place in the worst weather conditions. It was a clear but windy late November day, temperatures were in the mid 40’s and the bay was full of white caps. We stayed close to the marina as we anchored out under one of the bridges and sipped on hot chocolate as we kept our heads below the canvas top and the driving wind outside. After a slow first hour, a few missed hits and with our supply of bloodworms running low we found ourselves starting to catch one fish after another. Within an hour we were out of bait and using the partially uneaten worms from fish we caught to keep us going. We caught so many flounder we were throwing them back. What a day! Funny how we didn’t feel the cold as soon as we started catching fish.
Then there was the first time we ventured outside the inlet to open ocean looking for deep water fluke. I caught my fist and only “Barn Door” fluke that trip which remains the largest fish I ever caught. Then there was the time were fishing for weakfish in the channel and dad reached over the transom to net my catch falling overboard. Not one to lose focus, he was back up in the boat within a minute dripping wet, the net in one hand and his cigar still in his mouth. We had many great talks on that boat not only about fishing but life in general. While dad was not overly affectionate I knew he loved his family and would do anything he could for us.
Once I turned 16 and received my driver’s license I started taking the boat out myself with friends (dad trusted me). I would even take the boat out alone just to enjoy being on the water. While dad and I still took the boat out together, the number of times started to dwindle. After I left for college he stopped using the boat, sold it and took up fresh water fly fishing and racquetball which he played into his 80’s. The time we spent together on the water went too fast and I was too young to truly appreciate every moment. His visits to see us on the west coast combined with “life in general” just didn’t allow for time together on the water and is something I regret.
I know we should not look back on life and dwell on the things “we wish we did” and “things we wish we didn’t do” but it’s difficult. I’m thankful to god for those “special years” spent with dad on our little boat. I guess the real take away from all this is that it’s not the size or type of boat that matters but rather who you spend time with aboard that really counts. Thanks Dad for the great memories.
Your son, John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote